Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mare's Leg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mare's Leg
    Posted: September-18-2020 at 10:05pm
I think this gun is just outstanding! The photos speak for themselves:

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 10:50pm
Looks cool!   Also appears he used a 177 shot tube- very ingenious.  Is that an auto fire trigger thing on the coking lever??  Neat.   Great work and thanks for posting Mark.  
Steve McQueen's original used in the TV show ............

Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2020 at 3:25am
Rick, I mislabeled the photos of the Mare's Leg as being from Jay. The gun actually belongs to a fellow who messaged me on eBay. I apologize to everyone for the mix-up. I edited the lead post to reflect this. 

I found his messages and this was what he had to say about this gun:

"I built this gun when I was a ten year old kid. I had found it in the 1970’s in a garbage dump in Bucksport Maine with the stock broken and on fire from the burning garbage. The cocking lever was broken and the end of the barrel smashed. I "rescued" it and made the new stock, hand filed a new cocking lever out of steel, designed a BB spring feed, and cut down the barrel- all about 48 years ago. Just recently I took it out from storage to pass it on to my kids."

I've been lending a hand on him getting it working again. It's very hard to see in the photo above, but the shot tube is actually a cut down No. 25. I'm not sure how many BBs it holds.

Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2020 at 4:09pm
Amazing work for a 10 year old.
I have one made from a side door loading Red Ryder, and a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45 Long Colt.
I may have got the Daisy from Stevec years ago???
Gary
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 12:00pm
The Mares Leg has held a fascination for me since being a kid. Never had one, though. I might need to fix that soon... Wink
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 6:31pm
Has anyone successfully made a Daisy 1894 into a Mare's Leg?

Or is it impossible based on the design of the gun?  
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 9:24pm
That is a good idea, and would make a very realistic version. I await responses and opinions on this with a lot of interest!
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 12:08pm
I bet it would take a total rebuild from the inside out.   I'd love to see one.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 3:07pm
I think the original stock would need to be modified, instead of making one from scratch. The way the stock attaches to the end of the receiver makes it very hard to make, according to stock maker Shane.
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 3:25pm
And the barrel would need a major tweak, as loading chamber extends into the barrel quite a bit.

Maybe the Umarex Legends Cowboy Lever Action is a better option. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lOtHQ3wIg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic