Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Christmas Story movie gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 11:12pm
Yes a 111 40 is pictured here above. I get that. I'm referring to the gun Ralphie takes out the box Christmas morning... Look at that ones cocking lever screw. It's a 1938 with painted bands. Both models were used in the movie. He has that 111 40 in bed with him at the very end of the movie. That's it. Far as I can tell
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 11:53pm
Here is a close-up of Ralphie shooting right before he shot his eye out!!!  (OK Black Bart now you'll get yours!) I think that is what he said??
Note the rear sight (kinda strange to me) , the "OIL HERE" hole on the receiver and the nice paint job.  Definitely not the 10k RIFLE the Museum paid for.   This one looks like a 1938...
 What do you think?  This is the same one Dave( DazyCrazy) was referring to as coming out of the box on Xmas morning.

Aim Straight
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 9:41am
  I've noticed that all the movie prop guns had the compass and sundial on the right side and the Daisy guns that were released to the public all have them on the left side.  Even the Buck Jones Special had them on the left side.  So the movie props were made special so not to be linked by something else in production and also unique in design.  
Keep On Plinking
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 10:50am
When I made myself a replica of the movie gun, I based it on the one Ralphie used on Christmas morning, a 1938. I often wondered how the gun worth 10k was authenticated. Now, with so much discussion and reliable comparison, I believe that at least 2 versions were used on camera.

Just to add a little spice to this thread, which model was on display in Higby's window? Heeheehee
Air-It-Is
DaisyBBgunner View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 12:07pm
I talked to Joe Murfin, Daisy Museum curator, yesterday by phone. He later sent me his notes from interviews he did with Orin Ribar and John Ford.  Orin fabricated a prototype for the movie gun.  That gun is now in the Daisy Museum.  John Ford then made three prop guns which were sent to the movie folks.  These three guns were No. 1938s.  He also noted that Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) is left handed, which is obvious in the movie.  The snow scene at the end of the movie, where Ralphie aims the rifle, clearly shows the rear sight which has the small v-notch of the 1938 rather than the stepped rear sight of a No. 111, Model 40.  Regarding the scene at the end where Ralphie is holding "old blue" in bed, I cannot tell which model that gun is.  Interestingly to me, I learned yesterday that most of the movie was shot in Canada.  Only two of the nine shootings were done in Cleveland.
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 12:59pm
Gary,  your question was :is  the frame an early 1940s No. 111, Model 40 frame, or is it an early Model 1938 frame? I think I answered the question in my post . That it was a First Model Red Ryder, adjustable sight, small screw at the top of the frame, pinched bands would lead me to that conclusion, made in Plymouth, as far as i know the Model 1938 and the NO 1938  were made in Rogers and neither have adjustable sights .

Ejwills.
Ejwills
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 2:35pm
Ed,
I agree, that the first two photos in this thread, posted by jackdog, are of the Christmas Story House Museum's $10,000, No. 111, Model 40, taken on the back steps of the house.  But these two are not photos taken at the time the movie was filmed. They are recent-day photos taken at the Christmas Story House for their museum.  
In jackdog's third photo of Ralphie taking aim, we see a No. 1938 as evidenced by the small v-notch sight and the oil hole.  Daisy's early-1940s Red Ryder had a stepped rear sight and no oil hole.
I think we all pretty much agree there was at least one No. 1938 in the movie. Now, the question seems to be: Was there also a pre-WW II Red Ryder used in the movie?  DazyCrazy has voted "yes" based on the bed scene at the end of the film. I confess I cannot see the gun in the bed well enough to form an opinion. Anyone else want to weigh in??
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 2:38pm
PS.

I did check all of my early No. 1938s and each has a screw-adjustable rear sight.
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 5:32pm
I vote an early gun for the museum piece and a later model for Christmas morning in the movie.   I'm of the opinion that this being a low budget film, and not much being specified for the rifle, the thinking was "anything goes ".
Air-It-Is
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2021 at 1:08pm
I
Gary, I only looked a at the gun on the site you provided  which is the same gun in each  pictures., i made no reference to any other post  regarding a model 1938 as the question was specific to your question on the site provided. I'm sure the gun or different guns used by Ralphie in the movie will provide a lot of different answers with more questions , always of interest.
PS. Hope your enjoying your retirement . Looking forward to your postings and the knowledge provided. .

Ejwills . 
Ejwills
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic