FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scope knobs missing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope knobs missing
    Posted: January-27-2021 at 1:18am
All I remember is my brother and I  loved this scope and were thrilled to get one and use it.
Just was saying if you compare it to today's scopes it would not stack up all that well.  But it was a super neat item to have back in the 50's when I was 8 years old...  Still remember trying to find the squirrel in the tree with that scope!  

The holes in the guns that were pre-punched to accept this scope had little knobs that stuck out on either side of the hole so the Bank-lok inserts would slide in.  The Bank-lok had slits on either side to accommodate the hole and if I was to mount one of these today I do not want to drill those holes out.
But the threaded rivet is a good alternative.  I have some pop-rivets with threaded inserts that could work also.  

Thanks for the post, the info and an interesting review.
Rick
Aim Straight
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 10:10pm
Rick, in another career I used rivet-nuts for mounting applications in 'blind' holes. A rivet-nut tool neatly installs a threaded insert into sheet metal. They come in all thread sizes. (Google them if you like).
As far as the Daisy 303 scope quality goes, I like what W.H.B. Smith had to say about them:

“Some mention must be made of the Daisy 303 Bull-Eye Scope. For a ‘toy’ accessory sold at a commensurate price, the device is really quite remarkable. Retailing at about $4 it is a plastic rifle-type telescope using genuine optics. Its four lenses are molded in optically ground cavities, and give good target definition.

The mount is detachable. Attachment knobs are spring-loaded and definite clicks are heard as the cross hairs are adjusted for elevation or windage. The adjustment indexing is positive, the magnification is 2X. It is a technical achievement of some magnitude to get two-power magnification with four lenses in the short overall length of 11 inches. It is also issued with guard caps.”          (Gas, Air, and Spring Guns of the World, p236)

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 7:09pm
Jay. Nice pictures of a really nice Plymouth 303.  I have both Plymouth and Rogers marked 303's and they are identical, just a change in the manufacturing plate on the scope.
Besides the knobs always being broken  off , the side plate missing, the mounting Banc-lok inserts missing,   the front and rear scope covers are also rare to find.
It was a pretty lousy scope as air gun scopes go, but they are historical in the sense it helps tell the Daisy Story in the 50's.  

BTW Banc-loc is still around and you can get them, but I do not remember what the nut inserts looked like (shoulder, no shoulder, length, etc..) to buy some.  I am pretty sure mine were brass, not aluminum.  (but I am not always right).

Rick
Aim Straight
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 11:10am
Maybe these pics will help. This is a Plymouth scope, so the Roger's variety might have subtle differences.

Poppa Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppa Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:57am
Just a thought, I really only need the top piece that has the stem because my adjuster pieces that are inserted into the scope are okay. Will those be available separately? 
Poppa Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppa Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:37am
Could they be printed in metal to help with the durability issue? Brass or Aluminum perhaps? My scope was given to me in 1968 by my dad so like yours it has a lot of sentimental value. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 4:00am
I have never seen that plate before!
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 6:47pm
Thanks Dennis, If you want I can email these to you also, just let me know. There is one other part that is always missing and maybe beneficial to him if he has plans to sell these on ebay or something like that.   It is a very simple cover plate that was made out of plastic. It went on the side to cover up the unused mounting holes.  Out of the three 303's I have only one had it, mine from when I was a kid.
Pictures below... approx... 3-1/4 by 6/16, 1/16 thick with two studs on back..

Aim Straight
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 6:02pm
Rick,
   I'll contact him and send along a set of these pictures along with the dimensions and see if these can be reproduced, I'm sure they can be.  It is better to have the original for dimensions and small items in the shape of them to make an identical part.  They're only used for measuring and will not be damaged.  I'll give you a couple of sets of the new design for letting me use them.  I'll contact you when I find out about printing these.
Dennis
Keep On Plinking
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 1:56pm
That's a very generous offer and I hope that something can be worked out to get reproductions of these seemingly accident-prone knobs.

Good luck!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic