Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scope knobs missing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppa Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope knobs missing
    Posted: January-21-2021 at 9:53am
Hey everyone, I recently dug out my Model 96 that was given to me brand new by my dad back in 1967, through which I think I must have shot a 5 gallon bucket of BB's. and I have upgraded the seals and spring and have that part working great. The gun is in really good shape. Now I have a small problem in that the Daisy model scope that I had on it is missing the adjusting knobs, yep, knocked them babies off back in 68 or so. I blamed it on my sister but I'm sure it was my fault. So... I need some help with replacements or one that I can use to copy and cast my own in something more durable than the plastic used back then. Even if I had a broken one that could be used to make a mold I will do that. I sure would appreciate any help on this and glad to talk about the old days just like Ralphie knocking off the bad guys and any stray pop cans that dared cross my path. Blessings to you all. Poppa Wheelie
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 11:06am

Hello I assume you are referring to the 303 scope. It's very common to see these with missing knobs but as long as the cross hairs are still intact, you can sometimes use a small screwdriver to make adjustments. Also you can remove the little screw, pop it out and rotate it into position then replace the screw.

You can also just replaced them with intact ones from a parts scope. I've done that before to make one good one out of two. Many of the ones sold on ebay recently were missing at least one of the knobs so finding one that is complete can be a challenge. 
Poppa Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppa Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 12:42pm
I looked yesterday and didn't see one like mine on ebay. That's why I'm on the forum asking for help. I want it complete and original if possible. I did not see a part number on the scope anywhere but it's the plastic one from the 60's. I can't put a pic on now I don't have the standing yet but give me an e-mail address and I will send you pictures. Cobalt 327 knew which one it was. I can use it as is but I just want to put it back right, know what I mean? I will take another look using the part number you gave me. Thanks.
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 7:46pm
At some point before I lost my computer 10 months ago I had an email of someone who 3D printed the parts you are looking for, but alas that information was lost.  
With a decent original I would suspect someone with the right 3D scanner and printer setup could make these up pretty easy...  Anybody out there on the forum that can do this?  I would buy a couple of sets myself.   I never really noticed this but it appears the top and side Adjusting knobs have different part numbers.  I always assumed they were the same.  I bet I mixed up a couple scopes by not paying any attention to this detail, unless it does not matter.

Anyway here is the parts list for the 303......

Aim Straight
Poppa Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppa Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 9:21pm
Yep, exactly the one. Let's hope whomever it was is watching and can help us.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 11:34am
Twocompassheads is asking a 3D printer he knows if he makes them. Hopefully he does. More to follow, either from Dennis or me.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 11:38am
Dennis (Twocompassheads) says that his guy can print them but he will need the knobs to use as templates. They would not be damaged, and the knobs would be returned with the new parts. 

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 11:41pm
Mark, I do have three 303's.  Thanks to you and Dennis for the follow-up.
If I remember correctly the knobs are two pieces , friction fitted together with the wire for the crosshair stuck in there somehow.   Let me look at what I have and I will get back to you both if I have something that will work.  ie.. will I get the knobs apart without breaking them and loosing the wire.  LOL

Poppie Wheelie you may only need the knob part and not the part that inserts into the scope.

Rick
Aim Straight
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 1:53pm
Ok I have not lost my memory yet,  the knobs are two pieces and below are pics.
Friction fitted together with the Crosshair inserted into the assembly and positioned at the point of the V shaped opening before assembly of the parts.
I did not see any difference between the top and the side assemblies.  I looked very close at all the parts so I am assuming, and pretty sure,  they are exactly the same. They are marked with very small numbers.  Top marked with a 2 (both pieces), and side marked with a 1 (both pieces).
Dennis will have to look at these pics and determine if this is a part that can be 3D printed by his contact. 9/16 in Diameter, and 10/16 long when assembled.   Bottom piece approx. 5/16 long, Top piece 10/16 long..
I am willing to send these parts as long as I get them back.  This 303 is the one I got as a Christmas gift in 1956 (or there about).  Scope marked Plymouth.

Side View from bottom

Side View from top

Top View of parts

Bottom View of parts.

Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 1:56pm
That's a very generous offer and I hope that something can be worked out to get reproductions of these seemingly accident-prone knobs.

Good luck!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic