Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bell Target #21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 11:27pm
Yes, thanks Pete for the dimensions. Nice to know some of these vintage targets are in the hands of people who can appreciate what they are. Do you think these were sold in a (tear-off) pack, or sold as individual pieces? 
Daisy Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 10:46am
Jay,
I'm guessing they were bundled with twine in packs of 100 cards rather than in a tear off pad like some of the later cards.
Daisy Pete
Daisy Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 11:12am
Rick,
Thickness is 0.0120"

Daisy Pete
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 11:48am
Thanks Pete.  That is a 12pt (110lb weight) card stock thickness,  Helps me a lot.
Regards, Rick
Aim Straight
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 12:03am

Well, thanks to the reproduction magic of  Daisytalk member jackdog (aka ricksu) I have put the reproduced (circa 1911) target into the No. 21 Bell target. Here is an indoors photo, and an outdoors photo.

When I read through the patent description, the designer had two uses in mind. One was to shoot thru the paper target and let the lead shot smack into the steel backing (or ring the bullseye gong), and then fall into the box (thru the lower slot) for disposal.

Or second, the half-inch space behind the paper target could be ‘layered with felt’ so as to preserve the lead shot for reuse.

Most kids probably didn’t have ‘felt’ available, but cutting up dad’s newspaper to fit behind the target probably worked just as well. If I let my imagination run wild, then possibly back in the spring of 1912 some kid was chopping up newspaper for this purpose, and the headline of  that paper read “Titanic strikes iceberg”.

Or not: as most kids probably cut up the funny pages.Smile

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 5:16am
Great collaborative effort to resurrect this cool target, guys!
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 3:04pm
Jay and Rick, this has been a very interesting read on this very rare Target.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this post.  Jay, thank you for sharing this Target with us and as always Rick, "your the man!"  Perfection!

Star
Steve
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 9:12am
Thanks so much for all the information.
Never knew this version existed.
Gary
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2021 at 12:00am
Jay, am embarrassed i missed your follow up post on this target and thanks for the kudos.. 
in hospital checking out old daisytalk posts and ran across this one... I was on 50th Anniversary wedding trip with wife on FL.-carribian  cruise .  Love of my life since high school....  Sorry.  

Always Wondered how those repo targets worked out.  Sorry I MISSED  your follow-up posts.  That target looks great.  Very rare one. 
And great info on the target patent and background use as always from you...  
Thanks to Pete for the info on the target particulars....  BTW my wife mailed your tags today... and to your pal in Texas.. 
Thanks to my friend Steve for comments.

MRI tomorrow then i already told them i am out of here... can't walk well and arms, neck and fingers going numb... I think Agent ORANGE catching up with me.. Have to get my xmas caRds ouT! Prayers appreciated.  can not type well. Sorry

Happy Thanks giving to my friends on Daisy Talk!!!
Give Thanks.   Rick
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2021 at 8:44am
Rick, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Get well and get back to your family, hearth and home, and of course Daisys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic