Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

111 - 40 Saddle Ring Holder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 111 - 40 Saddle Ring Holder
    Posted: August-11-2021 at 11:28am
From time to time I get old Red Ryders with the saddle ring staples missing or broken.   In the past I just squeezed a new plastic one in and called it a day.   This, of course, left a vacant hole in the right side of the receiver. We'll, with a vise, hammer and a couple 16d (common) nails I tried something different.   

I bent the headless shaft of a nail around another nail.   The arc is just the right size.   The protruding end of the nail on the right side of the receiver can be peened, rivet style, or in my case chased with an 8-32 thread and nutted.    I plan on doing a bluing effect on all steel pieces including the home made staple.   

If there are other solutions for this project I'd love to have them shared.   
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 3:09pm
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 5:22pm
Bending the nail is very resourceful. Threading a nut on is "finesse". Good work!
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 1:54pm
Thanks for the info.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: 18.6667px;"></span>

Much thanks to Mark (cobalt327) for posting the in-progress pictures. As they say: One picture is worth 1,000 words.   
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Gumslinger Gumslinger wrote:

Bending the nail is very resourceful. Threading a nut on is "finesse". Good work!

Well Jay, you know what they say: "Necessity is the mother of where there's a will there's a way"......or something like that.
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 9:47am
Thought yinz might want to see the finished product. Sorry for the "Links" but Mrs. Airitis and I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to post images and this is the best we could come up with.

https://imgur.com/a/9Edykl7 (111-40 Right)

https://imgur.com/LSsJQIp (111-40 Left)

Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 2:11pm
Once your photo is up at imgur, click on "share links" and copy the link for the "BB code". Paste that in the post:

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 8:36am
Thanks for the tip, Mark.   We'll give it a try when we get back to the computer.   I'd sure like to get the hang of it.
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2021 at 4:10pm
Well, wadaya' know? I just watched a recent episode of Rest-O-Mod Daisy by Mr. Bruce. He made mention of "someone out there" who has made replacement saddle ring staples that are threaded to facilitate convenient removal.   I think that was the gist of it.   
I don't know if someone else had the same idea or if he was referring to this post but I'm glad someone other than myself, Gary and Gumslinger
thinks this is a viable solution.    
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic