Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 499 and red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 499 and red Ryder
    Posted: August-11-2021 at 5:25pm
I modified my Model 99B and I talked to Mark at cobalt 327
I drill and tap the abutment plug to 7/16 by 14 nc ) end were the airtube go through the abutment plug I uss abutment plug from a 499 Daisy good idea to buy two of them when you do in case your mess one up I messed up my first one and I had the when I tapped it the tap wasn't straight it was crooked Soul when you tried to screw the model 25 shot tube and it wouldn't go in very far about two-thirds of that was at so I had to redo it but so far it's shooting fine I haven't cronnie date yet but I'm going to do that and then I'll let everybody know what kind of a difference I get feet per second God bless everybody have a great day if you want to try it it's not a hard thing to do
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:27pm
In my eyes what George has done is pure genius. It has long been known that one of the big gripes with the new style Red Ryder is its non removable shot tube. The idea that the shot tube is built in and is basically non removable flies in the face of what we consider to be a classic Daisy BB gun. Besides that, all Daisys with gravity feed shot tubes are prone to misfire occasionally. 

To address these things, George replaced the non removable gravity feed 1938B Red Ryder shot tube with the spring loaded model 25 shot tube by using the abutment from a model 499B. This is still in the early stages, but preliminary testing is looking good for him. And I am assuming it still allows the gun to be a repeater.

This modification requires drilling and tapping the abutment to allow the 25 shot tube to thread in, and a spacer made to take up the gap between the end of the 1938B barrel shroud and the 25 shot tube cap- just like we regularly do when replacing the shot tube in any gravity feed Daisy BB gun with the 25 shot tube. The rest is straightforward. 

This will necessitate fashioning a new front sight, and it'll leave a hole where the loading door was, but I'm sure something can be done about those details. I will post some photos when I receive them so you can see this for yourselves.
Old george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 12:20am
Thank you Mark for your comment I was just playing around and so far it's working like Mark says as soon as I get it tested well I will try to take some pictures of it so you everybody can see what I did God bless you guys have a good night
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Old george Old george wrote:

Thank you Mark for your comment I was just playing around and so far it's working like Mark says as soon as I get it tested well I will try to take some pictures of it so you everybody can see what I did God bless you guys have a good night
George, have you got any ideas on a front sight? These guns can be scoped or a red dot used by putting a Lasso scope mount on it, and there are other mounts available, too. Myself, I like open sights, so I will need to come up with something for a front sight when I do this.

I wouldn't want to leave the hole open where the loading door used to be. Maybe something could be made by 3D printing to solve both problems...
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 11:47am
How about making a wrap around front sight that can cover the loading hole?
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 5:09pm
2 birds w/1 stone- I like that!
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 9:05pm
George, could you send me a couple pictures of the front of the gun. Send them to my email please. My address is in my profile. I'd like to compare an idea I have to what your project actually looks like. Pictures of both sides, top and bottom of the front 6 inches or so. Thanks,

Russ.
Air-It-Is
Old george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2021 at 11:31pm
Hi Russ
I chronograph rifle today and it was shooting between 280 and 285 after the mods that was was about 20 rounds through it so I think once it breaks in it probably will break 300 feet per second so that's pretty good I'll keep everybody informed and Russ I will try to send you a couple pictures george from California
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 6:23am
(This was posted in another area, so I have included it here for continuity.)

Originally posted by Oldgeorge Oldgeorge wrote:

Hi guys this oldgeorge from California. Will with the help of ,mark from cobalt327 and Shane restomodaisy I got mods to daisy model 99 done I used a 499 abutment plug and 1938 abutment washer and model 25 shot tube . I drill to 7/16 by14nc and used E6000 glue and the abutment washerto the abutment plug I also drill 11/64 hole in end for the air tube to go through the abutment washer when you pull the trigger you're just shooting right now at about 290 feet per second I'm hoping after it is broken in a little bit it may go over 300 that's what I'm hoping for I'll keep everybody informed I hope this make sense to everybody God bless old George from California if you have any questions get a hold of Mark and Cobalt 327 or Shane at restomod Daisy I sent both of them pictures to the email but I don't know how that bad picture to this so you could see what I did get a hold of them and maybe they can post a picture
George, these are the photos of your modified 99B. Thanks for sending them.

GPK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 11:35pm
Wow great work...does anyone have a source for 1938 abutment seals? I had a hard time sourcing one for my 111 and now I have to assume the 499 abutment head kits will be sold out at Daisy, as all us amature moders will make a run on them. I wonder if its necessary to even have the abutment seal? wouldn't the plastic one do well on its own?

P.
That don`t taste like Ketchup!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic