Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peening
    Posted: March-19-2022 at 5:38pm
I am working on a 111 model 40 and will need to peen the end of a new loop that holds the saddle ring. I have never peened anything and don’t trust my accuracy in hitting the target. Is the a punch of some kind I could use to keep my hammer farther from the work?  Thank You for any advice on peening. 
Buckmister704 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckmister704 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 8:31am
I've done several latigo loops and had to peen the opposing end to secure in place.  Mostly the use of a ball peen hammer and a solid service is all you need.  Check out Shane Bruce's You Tube videos at Restomoddaisy, he has one on the process. Good luck
Buckmister
Rstin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 10:12am
McMaster-carr is one of most amazing companies that few people know about, they sell virtually anything you could even dream about, I don't work for them, but have ordered probably thousands of items over the years, they put wwgrainer to shame as the quality and vast items they sell!!!!
Just look on their website, you will be amazed at what is available
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 5:17pm
If you want to see the work easier than striking it directly under the hammer head, try using a drive pin to aim at the impact site.   Striking the drive pin is easier than guessing where to hit.
Air-It-Is
RAH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 9:04pm
Thanks for all for the responses. I’m going to give it a shot with the supervision of an 84 year old experienced “peener”, My Father in Law. BTW I am 64 and always struggled hitting a nail on the head.   I have also seen the Shane Bruce videos. We shall see how it goes. I might look for a “drive pin” as suggested for the future if I have any problems. Thanks again. 
Ron  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic