Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sealing a Daisy 717

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulleve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing a Daisy 717
    Posted: January-16-2023 at 5:57pm
I picked up this American Police Academy Special Daisy 717 last summer and finally got around to resealing it this weekend.  Here are some pics of the process for anyone considering a rebuild of one of a 717/747/777.

The American Police Academy Special came with a different box top, had a special sticker inside, and a small badge logo that covers the left grip screw.  The lot number on this pistol dates to October, 1980.  I don't know much else about this particular version of the 717, so if anyone has more info, please chime in.

Unfortunately, when I bought this, the pictures weren't the greatest, and it wasn't obvious that the rear sight and bolt were both broken.  Luckily there are still OEM parts out there, so I placed a few orders.  When pumped, there was an audinle leak of air, so a reseal kit was ordered as well.

The 717 is a pretty easy to reseal.  It comes apart in large components, and unlike some other designs, it doesn't require five hands to hold everything together when reassembling!

Here is the heart of the system with new seals installed.  On this one I opted for the cheaper rebuild kit which just consisted of four seals, three seen here plus one for the bolt.  The more expensive kit I recently installed in my 777 included a new valve assembly and oil swiper.  When I pulled this one apart, the swiper crumbled to dust, so I will be replacing it.  The valve didn't need replacement, though.  After reassembling this pistol I tested it then let it sit overnight with compression.  The next day I was happy to hear a nice snap of air when I pulled the trigger!

paulleve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulleve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2023 at 6:00pm
I did find this post on the forum, but not much elsewhere about this model.

Originally posted by MattDage65 MattDage65 wrote:

I recently brought a 717 Police Academy Speical also.  I contacted the Daisy Museum for some information about it and below is there response.

This pistol was made in the 1980’s as a special edition for the Police Academy. When Daisy partnered with a particular group or organization to do a gun, it was to raise awareness or money for that particular program. There is not a lot of information out there on this as it was not shown in Daisy product catalog for that year. I am not sure how long they made this pistol, but the few I have dated have been for the year 1980 only.  This gun is pretty rare. It is not listed in the Blue Book of Airgun Values but I looked it up on gunauction.com and one did sell in 2012 for about $420. That specimen was basically brand new in box with all of the paperwork included. Value is always based on condition, what you are willing to take or what someone else is willing to give. 

There is nothing in the archives to say specifically how many were produced. There is just not much information out there on this gun so I am afraid to make a guess. It was a special run for a specific organization but without specific numbers I just don’t know how many were produced. 

Hope this helps,

Daisy Airgun Museum

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic