Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked plastic forearm on old RR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 10:33am
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New! Repair of Daisy Red Ryder
    Posted: 03-April-2016 at 1:14am
Hi, Hopefully this will be accepted by the forum. I will list the tools and supplies needed to accomplish the repairs on the Red Ryder shown in the before and after photo attached. Also attached is a photo of the actual tools and supplies.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
1/...Super Glue.
2/...0000 Fine Steel Wool.
3/...Finger Nail Sanding Block.
4/...Bastard File.
5/...Oil.
6/...Soft Rag.
7/...Small Clamp.
8/...Fine Compound and Polish.
METHOD
The brand names are not important, but use something similar.
First, remove the forearm and rear stock from the gun. Place several drops of oil on blued parts of the gun and on the steel wool. lightly rub the steel wool over the entire gun, in little circles, being careful not to rub too hard and to remove only the rust and no blue. Practice will improve the results.
Next, use a paper towel and oil and rub this all over gun. Set aside, you are now done with the oil, metal gun parts , and steel wool.
Use the super glue to sparingly cote edges of broken and cracked pieces of the plastic forearm. Place damaged parts perfectly together and clamp.
Allow to sit overnight until completely dry. Remove clamp. You will now notice that the areas that you glued will have sunk below the surface of the plastic. You will have to build these areas up to the surface of the plastic, or slightly higher, by using the super glue in a thin line drawn over the glue line. Go slowly and allow to dry completely. You will probably have to repeat this step until the glue is just above the surface of the plastic when completely dry.
Next, after all of the super glue is totally dry, use the bastard file to carefully file down only the glue to the surface of the plastic. A jeweler's eye loop might be helpful here. You must use this file and not any type of sandpaper because the super glue is much harder than the plastic. Be very careful to go lightly here to avoid filing the plastic and leaving a lot of tool marks, just use enough force to remove just enough super glue to be flush with the plastic.
Now you can use to the finger nail block and lightly reduce the tool marks and super glue lines.
After this step, use the fine paint compound on the soft rag to further reduce the defect and remove all tool marks and super glue lines. Last, use the fine polish to bring the plasticup to a smooth and brilliant shine. Wipe down the gun and replace both stocks.
This will take practice, and as I mentioned earlier, this is not cost effective, but if you want to retain the original parts which have been severely damaged, and you enjoy the self satisfaction this affords, go for it!
Thank you for all of your help, I hope in some small way I have returned the favor.
Regards, gkenny.

Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 10:31am
Thanks, I did not know super glue would work. Now to dig out a couple damaged ones to try this out.
Sharing information is what makes this a great place.
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic