Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.25 Early Pump gun disassembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2020 at 11:55pm

This rear sight is from a 1914 Variant 1 No 25. You probably recognize the elevator piece. When I tried to remove it (to clean out the area) I found it impossible to extract. Well, not impossible, but it took a great deal of determination and tool use to free it. Mind you, this is a valuable gun, so I was very, very careful (and very, very annoyed). The reason for this was the tall post that is the seat for the rear-sight spring. Installation must have been a bear in the Daisy factory too.

So my guess is the next generation had a lower post, allowing the rear sight to cantilever high enough to ease installation and removal of the elevator. Removal was probably too easy and rapid loss of the elevator in the consumer arena probably led to the punched dent in the improved elevator (or the more expensive roll pin we have been shown). Just one more innovation in the No.25 evolution.

PS   Rick, I know you got the email about the source of the roll pin replacement sights.

GRM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2020 at 6:45pm
Hi Jay,
I have four short throws and all have the "punched" ramp. I figured the punching/upset metal was done to provide finger grip for an otherwise smooth slippery surface.
GR
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2020 at 11:33pm
GR, it could be the case, but I can see finicky Fred Lefever (the gun designer) blowing a gasket if the gun needed a finger-hold created by a 'dent'. I could imagine his hand in the 'roll pin' design, if needed, but I can also see the head office arguing that if a 'dent' would do...well, then....dent it is.
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2020 at 2:42pm
Excellent pictures Jay, good to know these small details that have changed in the early years.

Keep On Plinking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic