Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Daisy won't shoot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Daisy won't shoot
    Posted: June-02-2018 at 12:16pm

Hello

I need some help in fixing a model 96 with an intermittent problem. When I go to shoot it, the first 2 or 3 times it goes "clack" with nothing coming out then it finally sounds right and fires a bb.  I also have a 98 eagle gun that will only clack when fired. Is this a bad piston seal or something else? I've tried to oil the plunger area but no luck so far. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to. Thanks
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 12:25pm
Not really following you... does the gun have to be recocked after the 'clack' sound without firing?
zipper28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 12:46pm
Sorry  I mean the gun does fire each time cocked but makes a "clack" sound not the usual "pumf" sound of a working gun. The 96 eventually does sound correct and shoot a bb but the 98 hasn't come around yet.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 2:31pm
It could be that the innermost seal called the barrel seal, has come loose from the abutment (that's the metal part that the shot tube screws into) and is now following the plunger head (or piston) back up the compression chamber when the gun is cocked. The barrel seal and plunger head become stuck together after sitting uncocked over a period of time. Using some types of lubricants can make this worse. If this happens, the gun will be a very poor shooter- but most times it will still expel a BB, albeit at a greatly reduced velocity.

It also might be the plunger is somehow getting caught and not allowing the gun to shoot or the piston has somehow become deformed and is jamming in the compression tube. Obviously I'm tossing out ideas offhand, without having the gun in front of me it's difficult to say exactly what's going on.

In any event, I'd recommend disassembling it and repairing what's needed. Fortunately Daisy still has parts that will work in your gun. The wide frame guns (88, 90, 95, 96, 98, 99, etc.) can use the current model 25 barrel seal and plunger head as well as the air tube. The Red Ryder plunger assembly can supply a spring. These parts are cheap when bought directly from Daisy.
zipper28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 3:39pm

Thanks for the info. Nice to know Daisy still has the parts. I figured I'd have to take it apart to get to the problem.
shrfbob1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrfbob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 3:38am
My daisy powerline 851, won't hold pressure.   I'm searching for parts to fix this issue.
Daily shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 1:56pm
Go to jgairguns.com. They have a seal kit for 10$. Also have min. Order requirement of 15$.
Good luck. Tom
shrfbob1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrfbob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:17am
Thank you, Daily shooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by shrfbob1 shrfbob1 wrote:

My daisy powerline 851, won't hold pressure.   I'm searching for parts to fix this issue.
Daisy stills sells what you need.

Part Number 169629-K00     O-ring and valve group   $2.50 plus a couple bucks shipping. 

Alana Arntfield, Customer Service Rep. Phone 800-713-2479

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 7:54pm
Kind of a drag. all the daisy model 90 somethings have this same problem I have a couple 95's and a nice 99 that need the same fix. Have not gotten to them. Lazy I guess. Ouch
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic