Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help fixing a 1938B Red Ryder BB gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UTHorn1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help fixing a 1938B Red Ryder BB gun
    Posted: June-10-2020 at 8:58pm
I suspect this question comes up a lot.  I picked up a Red Ryder 1938B bb gun at an estate sale a couple of years ago.  It seems to hold compression but it won't fire a bb.  I can see the bb in the hole on the barrel.  I'm hoping I'll be able to repair this and clean it up in order to have fun shooting at targets with the two young grandsons.  I'm a newbie to working on one of these.  I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding info I should have provided but didn't.  It clearly has some rust but the lever cocks with ease so nothing that I can judge feels frozen from corrosion.  Any help, tips, links to websites/videos, etc is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

PS What do people here usually use as a site to host pics?

zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 9:59pm
Welcome Mike
Funny thing about buying a bb gun at a garage sale or flea market is that a lot of times they don't shoot very well (if at all). Yeah you can cock them and they make a decent sound when you pull the trigger but put a bb in there and well not so good.

So to get them running again the older ones with removable shot tubes usually needed new seals, a new spring or even the abutment washer replaced or at least reset.

The newer ones like your 1938B don't have a removable shot tube so that adds another place a problem could exist. I picked up a 1938B once that sounded good but would not load and shoot a bb. But if I dropped one down the barrel, it would shoot fine. So the problem was the bbs weren't getting to the loading port. I thought there could be a foreign object or something blocking it inside. So I took it apart to get the shot tube assembly out and didn't really see anything out of place but when I put it back together, it would feed bbs properly. Don't know how it fixed itself but at least now it works like it's supposed to.

I use postimage.org to post pictures here. It's free and pretty easy to use.
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:12pm
You more than likely have a rusted or stuck BB in the feed mechanism.  Unfortunately as zipper28 stated you do not have a removable shot tube so you will have to disassemble the rifle to get it out.  That means you have to remove stock, trigger, plunger assembly, front site, BB loader door, and knock the shot tube down and out the rear of the receiver to see the feed mech.  If you want the service manual that shows all this send me an email.  Rick
Aim Straight
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:15pm
some of manual that may help

Aim Straight
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:17pm
Aim Straight
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:18pm
Aim Straight
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:20pm

Aim Straight
UTHorn1989 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UTHorn1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 12:32pm
Thanks for posting and the email Rick!  That's hard to read but my best bet even after printing out the pics may be to try and read from the pics you posted here.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 3:34pm
A couple observations, for what they are worth:

Actually, the loading door can stay in position as long as a long 3/8" diameter dowel is used to drive the shot tube out the rear of the gun. When replacing the shot tube, pay attention to the position of the abutment loading port through the BB view port to be sure the shot tube is installed correctly. The loading port needs to be centered in the view port. You don't want it any more out of position that what is shown in the second photo.

I have never restaked the shot tube. I suppose the thought behind restaking are to keep the shot tube from moving, but in my experience, once it's back in position it's there to stay.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 4:39pm
[QUOTE=UTHorn1989] I suspect this question comes up a lot.  I picked up a Red Ryder 1938B bb gun at an estate sale a couple of years ago.  It seems to hold compression but it won't fire a bb.  I can see the bb in the hole on the barrel.  I'm hoping I'll be able to repair this and clean it up in order to have fun shooting at targets with the two young grandsons.  I'm a newbie to working on one of these.  I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding info I should have provided but didn't.  It clearly has some rust but the lever cocks with ease

Mike,   I might be off base here but you mentioned the gun cocks with ease.   It shouldn't be TOO easy.   If the lever has virtually no resistance then it may not be fully cocked and the trigger is not ready to fire.

If that isn't the case I've also found that multiple BBs can get stuck in a dirty shot tube.   I've solved this with a healthy dose of WD40 and a piece of wire coat hanger.

Check the trigger assembly, lever and rear innards first.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic