Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High performance replacement Daisy spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High performance replacement Daisy spring
    Posted: December-21-2018 at 9:29am
I recently contracted with a spring manufacturer to make a high performance spring to my specifications. The ends are closed and ground square. Daisy didn't begin doing this until well into the 2000s. They were just delivered, this is the first time they have been posted for sale.

I'm very pleased with the results I got when I installed one in a new production China made Red Ryder 1938B (this spring will also work in just about any lever action Daisy BB gun). The spring change- with absolutely no other changes- netted 340 fps from a 265 fps baseline. That's equivalent to the original Red Ryders. To say it changes the personality of these guns would be an understatement! No more of the usual "hold it way over and lob 'em in" to reach targets 30 yards plus. Now that can be done using a proper sight picture.

If anyone is interested in buying one (or more), the total cost with shipping included is $14 for one spring, $26.00 total for two. Contact me if you want more than two to get the cost. USPS money order (email me for my mailing address) or PayPal. If you choose not to use friends and family, add their fees to your cost. Fee calculator: http://thefeecalculator.com/

Same address for email and PayPal: cobalt327 at hot mail dot com

If there are any questions, email them to me or post them here. Rest assured that I will stand behind these springs should you have any problems.

BTW- I'm also in need of a Daisy 880 buttstock from a metal receiver gun, I'd be willing to make a trade.

BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2018 at 3:33pm
Very cool!!!  Sign me up, maybe for 2!  I don't remember your contact info, so can you write me at Ltssvn at gmail dot com? 

Thanks!

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 1:21am
Will do. I added my email to post above, thanks for alerting me.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 8:56am
That is an impressive improvement in velocity.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 9:29am
Cobalt, I can't wait to see the finished spring. Sounds different from the ones I told you about. Can't wait to make that trade we discussed. Maybe after Christmas or New Years.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Cobalt, I can't wait to see the finished spring. Sounds different from the ones I told you about. Can't wait to make that trade we discussed. Maybe after Christmas or New Years.
Give me a holler when you are ready.

The spring designer I worked with was very helpful, and a good salesman! But the things I added were the things I would want if I bought a spring, so it's all good.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 7:24pm
I'm not even a big bb gun fan and I may want one. Actually I have begun to appreciate the humble bb gun a bit more lately. So long as I can find a fairly accurate one. BB's are so cheap and they aren't lead. I do a fair bit of shooting in VT at my brother's house and he isn't a fan of little bits of lead all around his gardens. He has a man crush on an old D 95 I hooked him up with and it's fun to shoot with him. The thing is, his 95 is real accurate and the 102's, 105's, 1938b's, and etc. that I've brought up there just are not. In my experience accuracy with a typical spring bb gun is a crap shoot. I've mostly got crap. I gave him the good one. That 95 is accurate and precise. I'm happy to settle for accurate. I'm considering buying a new 1938B and putting your better spring in it. 

What is the general consensus on the accuracy of a stock RR? 

Mark I know you do a rear sight mod to put an 880 sight blade on one but I just don't have the time or inclination. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:03pm
I wish I could give the 1938B good grades for accuracy but the truth is, none of the ones I have owned (5,6?) shot to POA without either work on the front sight or adding the 880 blade. The good news is that once the POA/POI is fixed they will shoot reasonably accurately/precisely if the barrel is kept free of excess oil.

I just picked up a couple from WM for $22 each, hard not to at least give one a try- there HAS to be one out there that is GTG out of the box!
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:12pm
Right. RRs are not known for accuracy. They say they are only good for 15 feet. But even then they don't define how good. Ci II jignsider them a lump of clay that needs an artist's touch.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 5:04am
Even on a bad shooting day (now THERE'S an oxymoron!) I can hit targets at 20-30 yards every other shot with my 'tuned' Ryders, often better if I'm on my game and the wind isn't blowing. My longest shot is 65 yards. Just like when shooting anything, repetition hones a shooter's skills and the more time spent shooting with a Daisy BB gun, the more acclimated one becomes and the results will show it.

For me personally, hitting the target each and every time just tells me I'm too close! Not to say I don't get a grin on my face when I go 4 or 5 hits in a row, but if every last shot were a score I would very soon lose interest and would be looking for a more challenging target. If I had one complaint about shooting my 880s it would be that I don't (yet) have enough different targets far enough out from the deck to make me work with them. As it is now, it's shoot-score every shot. So yeah, the 880s are much more accurate than the Ryders. Yet I shoot them less often.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic