Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intro and question on 2202 magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 2:58pm
Good idea to pass on the 2203 semi-auto. They were known to have a part break and go full auto. Back when they were introduced Daisy would repair them. Those days are long gone as parts are no longer available from Daisy. I don't know how to tell if one has been repaired.
theoldsarge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by wetdog wetdog wrote:

Good idea to pass on the 2203 semi-auto. They were known to have a part break and go full auto. Back when they were introduced Daisy would repair them. Those days are long gone as parts are no longer available from Daisy. I don't know how to tell if one has been repaired.

I read on another site that the problem was the sear breaking.  Supposedly simply replacing the sear solved the problem. 

A minor update.  Have a 2211 on the way.  And a 2212.  Both the wooden stock models, which I much prefer over plastic.  One needs a complete FCG, which is no problem, because I have all the parts to put one together on the way also.  Oh yes, the 2201/2211 and 2202/2212 trigger groups are identical - per the Daisy manual.   And a sight is missing.  What is people with removing sights?   I'll be keeping the two wood stocked ones, and passing along the other two.

However, the one is still missing the FCG detante parts.  I have the parts, but the butt plate button will not unscrew, like the manual say it should.  Anyone have any ideas on that?

I finally got an Eagle 10-round aftermarket 10/22 magazine, and a real Ruger 10/22 magazine should be arriving tomorrow.  The Eagle is 'close' to fitting, but I'll have to take some off the sides, and both ends.  I suspect the same for the Ruger magazine.  I will be taking pictures (if my stupid camera will give me pictures that are all in focus, instead of one out of a batch), and if successful in getting one or both to work, will post a thread on how I do it.  If not successful, I'll just say so and leave it at that.

Nuke

It ain't what your're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by theoldsarge theoldsarge wrote:

However, the one is still missing the FCG detante parts.  I have the parts, but the butt plate button will not unscrew, like the manual say it should.  Anyone have any ideas on that?

I finally got an Eagle 10-round aftermarket 10/22 magazine, and a real Ruger 10/22 magazine should be arriving tomorrow.  The Eagle is 'close' to fitting, but I'll have to take some off the sides, and both ends.  I suspect the same for the Ruger magazine.  I will be taking pictures (if my stupid camera will give me pictures that are all in focus, instead of one out of a batch), and if successful in getting one or both to work, will post a thread on how I do it.  If not successful, I'll just say so and leave it at that.

Nuke

Update.  Got the buttplate button out.  The Daisy manual only says to turn it, but not to take it out unless absolutely necessary, as it will damage.  They left out the important parts.  Finally found info on doing it. 
Pull out the buttplate 1/4" (measure it, don't eyeball it).  Then I took a quarter, pressed, and turned.  The button turned with almost no effort, then popped right out.  Do it that way, and no damage.  Pull the entire buttplate assembly out, shine a light in, and you can see the Philips head on the stock screw.  Unscrewed that, and unscrewed, and unscrewed, but stock NOT coming off.  That's when I notice the bolt handle down in the groove in the stock.  Lifted that up, and the stock slid right off.
However, now I am still searching for the envelope holding the detante parts, the one that I put in a safe place, where I could easily find it again.  But once I do find it, I anticipate no problems putting them in.  Insert the spring, slide in the detante pin from the top, hold the spring down (probably with a popsicle stick, with a notch cut in the end, use small needle nosed pliers to put the C-clip in place on the pin, and done.  Then just a matter of putting the stock back on, and the buttplate and button the opposite way they were taken off.  Piece of cake.

Picked up the 2212 yesterday.  Nice.  The stock wood is very good, but the finish needs to be gone over.  Finish on the action is much better than on the others I have.  It has a Williams sight on it, half a sight that is, someone just had to bugger that up. 

Got my Ruger 10/22 magazine also.  Just preliminary checks so far, but I don't hold out near as much hope on it fitting as I do the Eagle, but one never knows.  I'll be doing work on one, or both, over the next week, as I get time to waste.
wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 11:24am
My opinion on the missing rear sights is scope mounting. When I put a scope on one of mine it was real close to the front of the scope, so I removed the sight.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 10:47pm
OK, finally tracked down my detente parts.  They were in an envelope, in an envelope, so they'd be safe - and easy to find.  Safe, yes; easy to find, not so much.  Big smile

Not so easy as it would seem, putting them in.  The spring goes on the detent pin, then the pin is inserted, which compresses the spring.  Then the clip needs to go in the groove in the pin.  That's one of the smallest C clips I've ever seen.  Let's just say it's a very good thing I have a magnet on the end of a extendable rod, as I lost the spring twice I think, and the clip too.  Finally gave up, and decided to think on it.  Then I had an inspiration.

Next day.  Took the bolt out, was able to slide the detente pin in deeper, better exposing the groove for the clip.  The inspiration was, put the C clip in place on the groove, and hold it with some white lithium grease; had to use tweezers.  OK, good.  Then push the clip in place with the nose of needle nose pliers.  It was just that simple, worked the first try; I was actually surprised, thought it would take a few runs.  Then it was just a matter of screwing the stock back on, inserting the butt plate - measuring 1/4" - then the screw and spring, no effort or problem, then just insert the bolt and trigger group. 

I have got to make some sanding blocks, but keep forgetting to do it when I'm in my shop.  I will need them to work on the Eagle magazine.  It's the one that seems to have the most likelyhood of being converted; if I get that one working, then I'll consider trying converting the Ruger magazine.  The instructions for removing a Daisy magazine are to open the bolt, push the magazine release, then push the magazine out with your finger from above.  I'm thinking if a Ruger magazine can be made to work, the same drill will have to be followed - which I'm not thrilled with.  The Eagle is longer, and if I can get it to work, should be pretty easy to just pull it out.  I'll try to make some sanding blocks tomorrow; I'll keep you advised.  Life is basically good.
Jangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 10:02pm
So I have a 2202 also from my childhood, but I also am without magazines for it.  My son was shooting it one round at a time, so interested to know which magazine worked best with the conversion...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 10:24pm
Small upgrade.  Got my FCG parts, and two missing.  They were supposed to be mailed out this last Monday, and once I get them I'll put them together and see how things go.  No safety. 

Started on modifying the Eagle magazine.  Been taking pictures, for a build thread if this actually works.  Camera will not take an in focus picture.  Tried again today and got what looks like some better pictures, except now the camera and computer are not talking, so the pictures are not downloading.  Bah, humbug.  So any eventual build thread may be severly lacking in pictures.  So, far it still seems like the Eagle magazine will fit in, after some work, then it just remains to see if it works.  I'll keep you all advised.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 1:36am
Interesting.  Got my FCG put together, piece of cake - with the pictures I had.  BUT, it will not fit in my 2212.  I always have a bit of trouble putting them in, with with fiddling with the bolt and all, but this simply would not fit.  The detante pin would NOT come up to hold it in.  Tried it on one of my 2202s.  Same thing, no fit.  Finally tried it in my 2211, and finally, it fit.  So took the FCG from that in put it in my 2212, and that one fit there.  Strange.

I've been using the Daisy magazine from the 2202 I put the detante pin in to check the measurements on the Eagle magazine I am working on.  Tried to put the Daisy magazine in the 2212.  Won't go in all the way, lacks about 1/8" of going all the way.  Strange.  So, tomorrow I'll probably try the magazine from the other 2202, the one with the goofed up butt plate,  in the 2212 and see how that one fits.  I hope it does, because I really don't want to have to work on a Daisy magazine to try to get it to fit.  If I can get it to work, my plan is to use the Eagle magazine in the 2202 with the butt plate missing. 

I've been working pretty steadily on the Eagle Magazine.  Some filing, a lot of sanding.  Front to back dimensions should be good.  The sides, at the top, should be good; but lower still have a fair amount to take off.  Tried it in the magzine well, went in about 1/4", and hung up.  Sanded, same.  Did that several times, then noticed the Daisy had rounded edges.  So, rounded the Eagle edges.  Ah, got it in about half way, no prob.  But the bottom still needs slimming.  Thinking about trying my little bench belt/disc sander on it, that sanding by hand is getting old.  I'd try some pictures, but there is really nothing to see.  More later.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoldsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:50pm
Didn't get out in the shop today, so didn't use my belt/disc sander on the Eagle magazine, just sanded by hand with sanding sticks.  Getting there, slow but sure, just hope all the effort pays off in the end.

Tried my two Daisy magazines in the 2212.  'Neither' fit.  Both fit nicely in the 2202 with the missing butt plate tho, and I'm taking it for granted it means they will both also fit in the 'good' 2202.  I had been thinking of keeping the 2202 with the missing butt plate for myself, with the Eagle.  That is, if I keep one at all.  The 2211 I am definitely keeping, I have a thing for single shot .22s.  But, as is, the Eagle magazine will have to be used in the 2212, which is OK, because I like wood stocks, so if I keep any of the magazine fed rifles it will be that one; but if I can't get it to work in it, it'll get sold or traded, minus magazine. 

Anyone here have any experience with a Daisy rotary magazine not fitting?  The only thing I can figure is that there is something sticking out, out of place, or jamming up, the magazines; but, so far I haven't been able to find it.  Any thoughts?

wetdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:50pm
I just tried one that was original with the gun and it worked fine. Getting it out always needed a push from the top. But when I tried a new spare it was tight the last 1/4 inch going in and alot harder to get out. Seems they need some break in to smooth out.
    Congrats on the progress so far with the mag. Glad to hear about it.
   dwsonye31 is looking for parts if you are going to sell anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic