Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lone Scout markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lone Scout markings
    Posted: June-29-2017 at 9:55am
Hi  I was looking at a Daisy no.108 model 39 that is listed as a "Lone Scout" variation on one of the gun auction sites. I know these are rare and expensive and I would love to find a decent example but the "Lone Scout" markings on this one don't look right. Other examples show the name in the same font as other wording on the same line as do regular "Carbine" variations. Is it possible that some were stamped in this manner? I know Daisy did a lot of different things but this model was only made for a short time.
Any thoughts on this?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 6:59pm

Hopefully willielumpplump will see this and can help you- he had several examples a while ago and may still.

But my thoughts are, it would be a lot harder to forge the stamping in that 'fancy' font than it would be to duplicate the 'normal' font that are commonly seen. But that means nada in the greater scheme of things.

dennis65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 8:17pm
have had a few of them an still have one in my collection never seen one stamped like that looks fake if you look close can see where it was cleaned around that area I say its a fake dennis
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 4:01pm
I'd stay clear.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 12:03am
That is definitely not legit. If it were not so difficult to post a picture on here I could show you one that is. Has anyone contacted the seller? He may be unaware he's selling a fake.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 12:12am
I emailed the seller and informed him. Either he is unaware and honest and will investigate and come to the same conclusion, or he is shady and either knows or doesn't care. Time will tell.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:13am

Apparently there's people willing to accept this as legit- 3 individual bids and is up tp $400.00. Too bad there's no way to warn anyone who's bidding.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 3:15pm
I have spoken with the seller and he is legitimately concerned and disappointed. He has updated the listing and plans to contact Orin Ribar about it to see if it can be authenticated. Said he purchased it 20 years ago and always thought it was original. Such a shame, I feel for him. I know one of the bidders as well and just left him a voicemail. I imagine he will call back soon enough.
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:09pm
Hi all; just saw this posting; I had the 105 overstamped with a 7 over the 5.

Getting to the point, in Gary Garbers extensive research published in his excellent book, "An Encyclopedia of Daisy Plumouth Guns " page 257, there is a photo of the 'LONE SCOUT' and the letters are all caps.  Another clue is that the original has a double-notch rear sight.  On the later No 108, the stamping read"CARBINE' instead of LONE SCOUT.  Also note that the stamping on the real thing begins under the D in MODEL, and does not infringe on the patent numbers; the specimen in question avoids that by being stamped well ahead of the beginning of Model Number as to not run into the patent stamping, probably because the letters are too large.

Hope this helps.
semper fi
Rick Cates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:06pm
Since it is raining here today I was just looking at ebay for fun and something to do.
I found a Lone Scout listed which looks correct.
Fair shape but it was priced at $850.
Not mine just thought I would pass it along here if anyone was interested.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic