Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Daisy Red Ryder Arrowhead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 5:19pm
I saw one of the Arrowheads listed some years ago as .999 silver and it was a little pricy.
I did not think of it as a Daisy as it showed one side with Red Ryder and not the back side with the Daisy logo.  I do not remember if it had the hole in the top.
It was listed as a bolo tie or neckerchief slide and only had one picture to view.
I did not think anything about it at the time and probably should have asked a few questions about it.
I think it was on Ebay but I am not sure.  I am old and it was a few years back so I am not sure where it was.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 7:36pm
The example shown looks to have undergone some form of plating during its lifetime. There were/are plating 'kits' available for several types of metal- including gold. An industrious individual could cobble together such a kit themselves for that matter. DIY plating doesn't necessarily mean thin plating, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been thinly plated, and subsequent wear from handling through the years removed almost all of it.

Daisy Pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 10:46pm
Thank you very much, Cobalt, for posting the pictures for me. I'm quite sure it hasn't been plated. The pictures are a little deceiving in that regard. It might be tarnish that gives it that appearance. I plan on taking it to a jeweler in the near future to have it tested to see if it's silver. I also haven't given up on trying to locate the maker and getting the whole story. Thanks again!
Daisy Pete
panther1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panther1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 12:05pm
This metal arrowhead has certainly generated lots of excitement. When I read what Rick Cates (Rick in Texas) had posted it confirms what I had posted earlier. A few years pack, there was a posting on eBay for a .999 silver Red Ryder arrowhead. At that time, I emailed the seller with the question of how and where he had acquired such an oddity thinking I had stumbled upon a real treasure. He told me that he and a friend in the jewelry business had come up with the idea of making a "lost wax casting" of an original plastic Red Ryder arrowhead. They made one for each of themselves and a couple extras to possibly sell later to cover the initial costs of making them. I purchased the one they had listed on eBay at that time. Afterward, I asked if they would be selling anymore and I was told maybe sometime in the future. So this is where I would suspect this arrowhead of Petes has come from. If anyone really wants one, I will take preorders and have a bunch made up. I have a jeweler who made up some of the Davy Crockett arrowhead version in .999 silver for me a few years ago using the same method of "lost wax casting" and they came out really nice. If you must have one, I will get some made.
Rick Cates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by panther1 panther1 wrote:

This metal arrowhead has certainly generated lots of excitement. When I read what Rick Cates (Rick in Texas) had posted it confirms what I had posted earlier. A few years pack, there was a posting on eBay for a .999 silver Red Ryder arrowhead. At that time, I emailed the seller with the question of how and where he had acquired such an oddity thinking I had stumbled upon a real treasure. He told me that he and a friend in the jewelry business had come up with the idea of making a "lost wax casting" of an original plastic Red Ryder arrowhead. They made one for each of themselves and a couple extras to possibly sell later to cover the initial costs of making them. I purchased the one they had listed on eBay at that time. Afterward, I asked if they would be selling anymore and I was told maybe sometime in the future. So this is where I would suspect this arrowhead of Petes has come from. If anyone really wants one, I will take preorders and have a bunch made up. I have a jeweler who made up some of the Davy Crockett arrowhead version in .999 silver for me a few years ago using the same method of "lost wax casting" and they came out really nice. If you must have one, I will get some made.

I would be interested if they are not to pricy.  That was one reason I passed on the one I first saw years ago plus if I remember correctly it was listed as a bolo tie.  I would only want one in silver if it was a exact copy of the Daisy Arrowhead.
Silver is down in price right now so now is the time to do it.
One other issue might be the copyright on Red Ryder and Daisy logo on the arrowhead.
I am not sure how all that works but I believe Daisy bought the rights to Red Ryder prior to producing the first Red Ryder rifle.  I think that is in the book "Its a Daisy".
Let me know on price and I might be interested in several to pass out at Christmas to our kids and grandkids.
By the way where are you located?
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Daisy Pete Daisy Pete wrote:

Thank you very much, Cobalt, for posting the pictures for me. I'm quite sure it hasn't been plated. The pictures are a little deceiving in that regard. It might be tarnish that gives it that appearance. I plan on taking it to a jeweler in the near future to have it tested to see if it's silver. I also haven't given up on trying to locate the maker and getting the whole story. Thanks again!
Don't mention it, glad to help. Regarding the lack of plating, must just be the background reflection... but nice find!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic