Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 25 mfgr date and seal kit question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldHarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 25 mfgr date and seal kit question
    Posted: May-10-2011 at 7:10am
Hello, everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions.  Info on Daisy guns seems to be scarce.

I recently purchased my first pump type gun at a sellers table at the Pate auto parts swap meet.  The seller assured me the gun worked, it sounded fine, but I found out it needs the neoprene seal kit.

Who sells these parts?  This info seems to be hard to locate.  I'm not looking for an airgunsmith where I have to pay his markup as well, just a vendor that sells the repair kit.

Also, would someone know the date of manufacture?  It is a Plymouth gun, serial K998238, 3 patent lines, which I believe would make it a Model 25, var.7, that would have been made from early 1956-early 1957, but I am not certain if my info is entirely accurate.

I would appreciate it if someone that has a reference book that could narrow the mfgr date down and let me know.

Thanks

Greg

(insert clever saying here)
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 9:33am
The reference book you are looking for is "An Encyclopedia of PLYMOUTH Guns" by Gary Garber, but unfortuneately for you, it is out of print.  However, Gary is in the process of having another production run initiated, this time with a hard cover.

You need to be more specific in identifying your No 25, unless Gary happens to notice your question.

Does it have plastic stock and pump handle?
Does it have pre-drilled scope mounting holes on right of frame?
Does it have an oil hole in the barrel?
Does it have a small blade-style front sight or is it the newer ramp or high profile front sight?
Does it have the combination flip v-notch and peep sight? 
What exactly are the patent numbers?

From what you described, I think that you have a plastic stock variation 6 from the fall of 1955 to early 1956, but really need a better description.
Semper Fi
OldHarley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldHarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by willielumplump willielumplump wrote:

The reference book you are looking for is "An Encyclopedia of PLYMOUTH Guns" by Gary Garber, but unfortuneately for you, it is out of print.  However, Gary is in the process of having another production run initiated, this time with a hard cover.

You need to be more specific in identifying your No 25, unless Gary happens to notice your question.

Does it have plastic stock and pump handle? Yes
Does it have pre-drilled scope mounting holes on right of frame? Yes
Does it have an oil hole in the barrel? Yes
Does it have a small blade-style front sight or is it the newer ramp or high profile front sight? later ramp sight
Does it have the combination flip v-notch and peep sight? Yes
What exactly are the patent numbers? 2,204,370 / 2,204,372 / 2,724,897

From what you described, I think that you have a plastic stock variation 6 from the fall of 1955 to early 1956, but really need a better description.

It has only the three patent numbers, the receiver is engraved, but it is the simpler roll engraving with a painted finish and it looks to have the smaller (later) takedown screw.

I believe the time frame to be about where you put it.

Do you know where I could find a seal kit for this gun?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Greg

DaisyBBgunner View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 4:56pm
The stamping date of this gun May 28, 1956
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 5:48pm
Gary Garber gave you one of the answers that you are seeking;  try Dennis Baker baker19711@yahoo.com for the seal kit.
Semper Fi
OldHarley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldHarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 6:35pm
Thanks to you Gary for the quick response.  As an interesting side note, I have a Model 94 (my childhood Daisy), that I wrote the Daisy curator about and was told it was also built May 1956!  They did not respond with an actual day, though.  Wonder how close to that date B671444 would have been built! 

Speaking of coincidences, Willie, lump-lump is the sound my old Harley makes when it idles!  LOL

Also, I'll try Dennis Baker.  It is surprising that Daisy seems to care enough to have a museum and a curator, but their customer service department was of so little help when I asked that same question about vintage repair parts.   
Greg

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 11:38am

Nice to have you aboard; there are many BB gunners on this site that know an awful lot about the Daisy product line, I know just enough to stay out of trouble most of the time.  As for the customer service not forthcoming on vintage parts, it could be that they do not want to favor one source over another so it would be difficult for them to single out a particular source.

Semper Fi
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 2:03pm
The 25s are my favorite Daisy guns. I have the same variant model 25 made May 24, 1956. That makes them 4 days apart, I guess they are brothers!
Be Independent!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 4:52pm
It would be interesting to know what State and location that these No 25s were discovered/purchased.
Semper Fi
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 5:31am
I bought mine from a nice fella in Tacoma, Washington.
Be Independent!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic