Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 27 seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjduensing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 27 seals
    Posted: January-09-2019 at 3:03pm
Have very old Model 27 that needs new leather seals.  I found 13/16 flat leather washers but can't figure out how to get the plunger head apart to install that piece.  Would it be better to replace the whole plunger head?
WJD
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 11:03pm
I have quit using the leather seals for replacing damaged or deteriorated seals. Not to say leather doesn't work well and last basically forever- I have 2 Red Ryders made in 1940-'41 that have leather seals and they still shoot 330-340 fps! But making them is a pain I can do without and buying them isn't going to happen, at least not for the prices I've seen them going for.

The one thing that could hamper using a modern synthetic seal set and separate air tube is the length of the original air tube. If it's longer than the currently available air tubes, you're looking at making a custom air tube to work with the synthetic seals or making/buying new leather seals. In that case using leather would be my choice. But if the original air tube is same length or shorter than the current one I'd use synthetic seals w/o hesitation. More can be seen on the subject here- http://forum.daisymuseum.com/rejuvenate-or-replace-leather-seals_topic8070.html

Getting back to your setup, the photo shows how the seal is assembled. IIRC the guy who worked on this seal used a couple screwdrivers to carefully lever the retainer washer off the air tube. It was in a post by "hinz57" in the thread shown HERE. I found the post on page 10 https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/putting-a-little-more-power-in-a-15-00-daisy.807316/page-10

wjduensing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjduensing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:41am
Thanks, cobalt327, the picture was worth a thousand words.  This gun was my father's circa 1930 and I'd like to keep it as original as possible so I will probably try the "making" deal or fork over the dough for pre-punched.Smile
WJD
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:14pm
If you have a small good wheel grinder and some good hand tools you can make the leather seals fairly easily.
I use some correct size inside diameter chrome molly tubing to build a cutter for the leather.
You can find the chrome molly tubing which is pretty thin at a race shop for roundy round or drag race cars.  Most shops cut small pieces off and throw them away and will usually give you the different  throw away sizes.  With a grinder you can sharpen the tubing to the inside and it will cut the leather seals easily just like a hole punch.  The center hole is cut with a punch from my hole punch set.  I think I use the 1 inch or 7/8 inch tubing to cut my seals for my Red Ryders.  I made up a large group last time and have not cut any in a few years now.
Leather can be purchased at most hobby shops or leather shops.
Good Luck with the fabrication.
It is not that hard.
Hope this helps.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic