Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 5:58pm
As my Yorkshire wife likes to say "I have short arms and long pockets". I use viton anywhere that expansion will not present a problem. Viton is a very oil resistant and very tough material. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 6:09pm
Like you've mentioned I could especially see using it in places where it's 'confined' and in places that don't routinely get dis- and re-assembled. For instance I might not use it under my QB78 CO2 tube cap but I'd use it in a minute for my D74 valve O-ring.

FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 7:25pm
Well my second Hahn bb repeater arrived, this is the "super bb repeater " model, my first one is just labeled "repeater". They definitely will not get the shot count of the Daisy 74, this one came with the factory manual and it states "up to 45 shots" per powerlet. However, my modded Daisy 74 seems pretty slow compared  to these beasts, the first 20 shots on these guns must be up around 500 fps, at 65ft. they smack the target almost instantly, with a lot of force, and they are pretty accurate. They need to make a little pcp gun like this, you would never need to buy Co2. I'm amazed at the condition I found these in, people must have cherished them pretty well, for 50-60 year old guns the mechanics function flawless, wood and bluing is great, I never seem to be able to find vintage Daisy BB guns in this shape ( probably because kids are usually the first owners). The 74 and these repeaters are probably also going to be the ticket for the wife to shoot, they're light and easy handling.Smile
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 2:36pm
Actually Crosman is coming out with a pcp version of their little 1077 pellet rifle. It's called the Wildfire and I think it's going to sell for $150 or so. I may give pcp a try with this little gun. Wish it came in .22. 
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 3:13pm
I have that one on the list as well, I like the Discovery .177 I have had for a few years.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 5:45pm
Mrod-air also sells an affordable PCP, the Varmint. $200 shipped, and it's also a repeater. The CO2 version is $130.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 7:21pm
I may pop for the extra $50 t5o get the Mrod. It is available in .22. Smile
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 4:17pm
Remembered I had a cheap Daisy red dot from a trade deal, decided to mount it on the 74. I'm not too sure I like it, seems almost like cheating! But it's holding zero and other than the uncoated glass reflecting like a mirror under some conditions and the clunky looks, it makes for a nifty little shooter.

Daily shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 5:43pm
It ain't cheating because you have the skill to sight it in. It also teaches to shoot with both eyes open. I have a BSA red dot on one of my Red Ryders. The mount is sold by Pyramid Air and its much fun to shoot. I'm in a Red Ryder shooting group. We meet in the afternoons and shoot at cat food and small soda cans mounted on metal H shaped brackets at 40 feet. That's four of us, two males and two females and all seniors. On lady in our group shoots naked(no scope) and can out shoot the rest of us.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Daily shooter Daily shooter wrote:

It ain't cheating because you have the skill to sight it in. It also teaches to shoot with both eyes open. I have a BSA red dot on one of my Red Ryders. The mount is sold by Pyramid Air and its much fun to shoot. I'm in a Red Ryder shooting group. We meet in the afternoons and shoot at cat food and small soda cans mounted on metal H shaped brackets at 40 feet. That's four of us, two males and two females and all seniors. On lady in our group shoots naked(no scope) and can out shoot the rest of us.
The Red Ryder shooting group sounds like a ball! Makes me wonder if there'd be a few folks around here that would be in for such a thing. I'm not near any 'big' cities, we're about 40 miles east of Atlanta so hard to say.

I saw the scope mount you have and I like it. I actually bought a 12" length of picatinny rail to use for a scope mount but other things got in the way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic