Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 7:20pm
We're in Screven County, Georgia, about 50 miles NW from Savannah. If you ever find yourself down this way, you are invited to sit and shoot with us.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 7:45pm
Thanks!
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 8:42pm
Not sure that any optics would help me with a Red Ryder. A BB shooter isn't really accurate beyond where your eyes can see. My Brother has a D 102 from the 80's that he plinks cans off his porch with. He must have shot it about 10,000 times over the years. We have a little competition when I'm up to his house. We set up sidewalk chalk sticks as targets at about 10 yards. I shoot my D 722 pistol and he shoots his 102. We come about even. I give up some being as I'm shooting a pistol. But it is a rifled barrel throwing .22 pellets and he's shooting a cheapo BB gun. What's the saying?......Beware the person who shoots only one gun.....they know it very well.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2017 at 9:50am

Happened to notice there were a lot of similarity between the barrel shrouds of the Daisy 74 and 880. So much so that I believe the 880 shroud could be used to replace a 74 shroud. This could be useful because there are no shrouds listed for the 74.

I think the larger cutout of the 880 shroud (circled in the photo below) will show a little over the tops of the 74 forearm panels. I like the 74 sight better than the one that's on my 1998 production 880, plus my 880 shoots high even with the elevation adjuster removed so I'm going to order a 74 sight and see if/how it works on my 880.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by the fuse the fuse wrote:

Not sure that any optics would help me with a Red Ryder. A BB shooter isn't really accurate beyond where your eyes can see. My Brother has a D 102 from the 80's that he plinks cans off his porch with. He must have shot it about 10,000 times over the years. We have a little competition when I'm up to his house. We set up sidewalk chalk sticks as targets at about 10 yards. I shoot my D 722 pistol and he shoots his 102. We come about even. I give up some being as I'm shooting a pistol. But it is a rifled barrel throwing .22 pellets and he's shooting a cheapo BB gun. What's the saying?......Beware the person who shoots only one gun.....they know it very well.
I tend to agree. But what really CAN help is adding windage adjustment.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2017 at 7:50pm
I will second that. Any gun is better with some sort of windage adjustment to the rear site. I'm not a big fan of "Kentucky windage". I can handle a BB gun's low precision as long I get some accuracy. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 12:36am
Right? And Daisy could add the same adjustable rear blade they already use on several models to make the gun just that much better, at a very minimal cost. But it'll never happen- and that's a shame.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 5:43pm
Well it got up to the mid 70's here, at last. I took out the 74 for some real shooting. It was fun. It shot 2-3" groups at 15 yards. Not bad. I did the tape mod on it. But......not good enough for it to be REAL fun for me. I'll give it to my nephew. He has a new 25 that he likes. A Co2 shooter should be a kick for him. I simply don't have enough time for shooting to get around to the 74. I barly shoot all the guns I really enjoy now. I gave it a go and it was fun to read all the stuff you guys were up to with the 74. Thanks and have fun.Smile
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 8:45pm
I bet he loves it- I know I would have when I was a young'un. I get the feeling your 74 never really was accurate enough for you and that's a shame. Some seem to be okay, others not so much. Kinda like the 880s I read about people modding- some shoot lights out, out of the box, others do after the tape mod, and some seem to never come around. Anyway, this will give you more time for your other guns!
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:02pm
I had mine out in the warm weather this weekend, I was peppering holes through soda cans at 70 ft. or so clear through, I'll keep mine as a novelty, and probably get a lot of use out of it. He'll love the thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic