Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 74 Semi Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2017 at 12:34pm
For basement or yard plinking it's hard to beat, I have a QB rifle and they are nice and have their place, even the clip fed repeaters can't keep up with the daisy, you have to stop and load clips. Put 200 rounds in the Daisy 74 and start shooting, add that to the list: no pumping, cocking, breaking barrels,changing clips just start shooting. I'm sure nice mods will come to this gun once people start experimenting. I'm thinking a clip extension to the bb chamber for an extra 400 rounds, and hooking up a paintball tethered tankBig smile
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2017 at 3:54pm
Ok I'm sold. Or rather I just bought A Daisy 74. Found it on Amazon for $39 free shipping. It'll show up on my doorstep in 2 days. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2017 at 5:00pm
You better have ordered a few thousand bb's as wellSmile

A few other tips for new 74 users:

You don't have to tighten the heck out of the co2 cart, I see complaints on breaking the plastic threaded rod that tightens the cylinder, just snug it till it seals, it work fine I've put 20 carts through mine with no failures, you can't be ham fisted with this part.

Take it easy with the co2 cover, I just align the top clips first and snap it in, don hit it tap it etc. it works fine and does the job.

You don't have to shake the thing  violently to load the mag. I hold the gun upside down in front of me so I can see the mag and rock it back and forth until it fills up.

I know it's hard to resist, but let it warm up for 5 or so minutes every 30 shots, keeps the power consistent.

I cleaned the barrel on mine after 500 shots, lots of black residue was in it.

It's not a 40 year old Crosman all metal and wood Co2 gun. it's all plastic, but works very well for what it is intended for and is a lot of fun.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 3:29pm
Got to say that I'm not expecting much for $39.....except that it's fun. Does it have an adjustable rear sight? Or are we going with "Kentucky windage"?
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 4:09pm
The rear sight does have a screw for windage. Like any bb gun it will spit a flyer once in a while, but the sights work pretty good. I've gotten pretty good instinct shooting the thing with 3 round bursts at the cans.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 5:01pm
That's good news. I have bought a few newer Co2 bb guns that had no adjustment for windage and regreted it. Them Umarex lugers were one. I returned one because it shot 3" left at 15 feet. The next was just as bad. I know it's just a BB gun but for near $100 I expect better than that. 
BTW I did buy 5000 BB's with the 74. Smile
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 8:50pm
I know what you mean, I have some old crosman pistols and they have the nice metal adjustable rear sights you can dial in with, I have a 454 BB Matic that is better than some of the new Umarex stuff I sold off. I have really been liking the semi auto Co2 stuff, seems you get a lot more practice per shooting session. I think a Crosman Powermatic 500 is next on the list
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 8:34pm
You may want to consider a Daisy made Winchester M14. It is a semi auto with a reversable rotary clip that holds 8 shots on both ends. Got a rifled barrel that shoots both BB's and pellets. The clip is magnetic to hold onto the BB's as you load them. Takes two Co2 carts. Spittin image of the M14 rifle so it's a pretty big gun. I like that though. I put an original M14 web sling on one of mine. Nice gun to shoot and very accurate with BB's or pellets. I chronyed mine and they both do just over 600 fps with Cr premiers. The trigger pull is not bad so it must be assisted some how. It's mostly plastic and $100 from Daisy. That's interesting because I think they had it on sale for $60 a few months ago. You can still get one from Airgun Depot for $80. I picked one up for, I think $80 a couple years ago from Daisy and another privately. The two I have were the early ones made in Japan. Of course they are now made in China. Ouch
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 3:51pm
That one is on my list as well I think PA has em for $69. 2 Co2's is good, these pellet shooters eat them up. I have the Crosman 1077 on a bottle of Co2 and it stays nice and consistent and for $4 I get 2000 shots. I did the barrel spacer mod on the little Daisy 74, just popped off the front sight and inserted a paper roll to lessen the barrel movement when it cycles, no more excessive flyers.Smile
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 5:25pm
That's a good idea. Thanks. Should arrive tomorrow! I won't get to shoot it much though. I live in a small apt up in the north country. Will have to wait till warmer weather for a real tryout. Unhappy
BTW PA's price is $79 as well now. Daisy raised their price for a reason. Maybe they are selling more of them. Should I have bought a few when they were $60? I still remember buying 5 Arkansas Can Opener commemorative rifles when Daisy had them on sale for $40. Looking back, I should have bought ten! I've already sold 3 of them for $100-125.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic