Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 99 abutment washer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2023 at 11:16am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Yeah, this forum doesn't send out alerts when your thread gets a response. 

Seals sticking together was a common problem with the wide frame guns for some reason. Daisy stakes the barrel seal to hold it in place. Sometimes you can get away with installing a new seal using the original staking, but a used seal will likely never stay put by staking alone, even if you restake it. If you decide to restake it, be careful to not puncture the shroud. If you reuse the original barrel seal, thoroughly degrease everything first, including the seal and the face of the piston using alcohol. I wrote a little on this, you can see it here: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/model-96-repair_topic9935_post42734.html#42734

Wish I had seen this before I rebuilt my Model 99.  The original barrel seal had turned to mush and had the hole spring assembly stuck to the abutment washer.  When I got it out, the mushy barrel seal was stuck to the piston.  I didn't know the barrel seal needed to be staked with glue, so I just stuck the new one in and seated it with a wooden dowel.  The gun shoots great, so I figure the remaining mush from the old barrel seal is staking the new one.   But I probably need to disassemble the gun again and properly stake the seal with glue.   When I'm gone and my grandkids (if I ever have any) are given my BB guns, I want them to shoot and be reliable for years to come. 
Steve O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2023 at 8:07pm
Mark,
Once again another question. Sent u a email with picture today.
Thanks,
Steve
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2023 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Handy_Cruiser Handy_Cruiser wrote:

Wish I had seen this before I rebuilt my Model 99.  The original barrel seal had turned to mush and had the hole spring assembly stuck to the abutment washer.  When I got it out, the mushy barrel seal was stuck to the piston.  I didn't know the barrel seal needed to be staked with glue, so I just stuck the new one in and seated it with a wooden dowel.  The gun shoots great, so I figure the remaining mush from the old barrel seal is staking the new one.   But I probably need to disassemble the gun again and properly stake the seal with glue.   When I'm gone and my grandkids (if I ever have any) are given my BB guns, I want them to shoot and be reliable for years to come. 
It'll probably be fine the way it is. The glue makes sure, but the original staking can hold the seal in place, too. So unless you have it come loose, I wouldn't worry about it.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2023 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Steve O Steve O wrote:

Mark,
Once again another question. Sent u a email with picture today.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve, your rubber piston and air tube is the first design Daisy used immediately after transitioning from leather seals to rubber. This design was short lived, so there are many who may have never seen such a setup. Note that the piston shown is a new part, not the original. The original style piston did not have a hole that went all the way through from front to back, nor was the air tube captured by the retainer pin. The second photo is the piston and air tube of a model 141 that used the same type of rubber piston with a blind air tube hole. The photo shows the lack of a hole through the back of the piston.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic