Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 99 gravity feed info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1774 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 99 gravity feed info
    Posted: July-18-2020 at 11:47am
Hello.  New to the forum to inquire about a recent Model 99 I acquired.  It appears to be a 1959 first year version, but when I submitted the reg# to the museum, it did not match any production data, except the first letter "A," indicated perhaps in 1962.  This is definitely a gravity feed gun with the "bottle cap," muzzle end, and port to dump a lot of BB's in!
The gun is in excellent condition, almost NOS, and has a small sticker on the butt stock, indicating it is an official US Jr. C of C model (Jaycee)
I presume it was part of a team arsenal, since it doesn't appear to ever have been "played," with.
My brother got a 1959 original Model 99 for Christmas that year, so I'm familiar with them.I have a later model 99, and also familiar with the shot tube versions.

The person I acquired it from mentioned he got it from the estate of a competition shooter in Ohio.

So, does anyone have any information about this or a similar gravity model 99, that was not made in 1959?

I've been in contact with "Joe," at the museum, and he is curious also.  Any info appreciated.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2020 at 3:54pm
I'm guessing the gun has sights- there were gravity feed model 99 Quick Skill guns made, but they had no sights because they were for instinct shooting training.

Daisy's records are sometimes contradictory and have even been found to be in error. If the number on your gun is lower than REG. NO. A149461, you may have a legit 1959 model 99 with an "A" prefix Reg. No. that simply wasn't recorded. 

twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2020 at 10:02pm
  The quick skill was made in 1968 to 76 and it was a model 2299.  They used them for training during the Viet Nam era.  Although it looked or was built like the 99.

Ride and Have Fun
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2020 at 11:00pm
Let me correct my earlier post- the gravity feed instinct shooting model 99 was a Lucky McDaniel gun. Thanks for jogging my memory. 

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2020 at 11:13pm
In 1970 at my army boot camp they did a session on the firing range using the Quick Skill Daisy.  Your partner flipped a 2 inch metal disc (or something similar to that.. My memory is not as sharp as it should be)  and you shot at it... Hits were recorded and posted.. The guy flipping the metal disc had to be pretty good or you had no shot as I remember... Have no idea how I did, but I remember the drill and it was at least a good rest from all the other harassment...  LOL  
Rick
Aim Straight
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2020 at 10:38am
I too recall a day spent using the Quick Skill shooting session.  I was in boot camp in 1969 at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.  I was actually surprise how often I was able to hit the coin tossed in the air!  I recall that it was indeed a welcomed respite from the typical training day.     

Star 
Steve
Bob1774 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1774 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I'm guessing the gun has sights- there were gravity feed model 99 Quick Skill guns made, but they had no sights because they were for instinct shooting training.

Daisy's records are sometimes contradictory and have even been found to be in error. If the number on your gun is lower than REG. NO. A149461, you may have a legit 1959 model 99 with an "A" prefix Reg. No. that simply wasn't recorded. 

Thanks for that info.  Yes, it does have the typical hooded front sight, and rear "peep," sight.  The reg# is A076183, so perhaps a 1959.  The only other characteristics I can think of is the Daisy logo on the lever.  Mine has 3 stars, with some curved lines around them.
Once I get a chance to figure out how to post pics, I will.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2020 at 2:02am
That lever you describe was in use from around 1955 until around the mid-'60s. It's not conclusive, but it also doesn't rule 1959 out, either.
Bob1774 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1774 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2020 at 11:00am
Thanks for that info.  My brother just located his 1959, and his loading port was on top of the barrel, immediately behind the front sight.  I asked him to look for his reg #.
PS, I just realized I ordered some front sights from a "Cobalt327," on ebay!  While there is one insert installed, I decided to have some others!

His reg# is M283992  on the model 99, 1959.  According to Daisy Museum, the first model 99 was reg#M135899 on April 20, 1959
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2020 at 4:54am
Just an addendum to the Quick Skill. the military guns were referred to as "Quick Kill". Civilians got the Quick Skill. More PC I suppose. Wink

Bob, I have the same info, from Joe. I had written to him in regards to a gun I had seen online. It was without a shot tube but was the very early model 99. His reply was "The first date Model 99s were stamped with lot numbers was April 20, 1959 and the numbers stamped were M135899 to M148899 so this would have included he gun you're looking at. Joe."

One thing just occurred to me that is a tell for the very early 99- the trigger blade. If it is a very narrow, almost fragile-looking blade, that is the first gen trigger blade. Later guns had wider blades. I'll attach a couple photos showing this.

99 Lucky Mc Daniel REG. NO. M146351 GEN 1 TRIGGER 

99 REG. NO. A149461 

99 REG. NO. A695058 

This last style blade was used for the duration of 99 production.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic