Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model B for sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 4:14pm
On the topic of the hardest hitter I believe my old King 1000 shot is the hardest shooter I have.
It looks a lot like the early Red Ryder in size without the under tube for loading and no wood forearm just the length with a curved cast iron lever like the Red Ryder.
I have not had it apart so I am just assuming it is all original on the inside.
I just know it shoots farther out harder than any of my old Red Ryders.
It is not as accurate as I think its shot tube was designed for the .180 bb's.
Just my opinion.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:49pm
I believe the Daisy model 25 -was the hardest hitter.

Ejwills.
Ejwills
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:00pm
Rick, I've never shot any Kings, only seen pictures of them. It's good to hear you actually shot yours! And it's interesting to hear how powerful it is. I wonder if it being made originally to shoot lead shot has anything to do w/how hard it shoots steel?

EJ, I have often heard folks say their old Model 25 would shoot hard. Too bad that back when they were new, chronographs weren't readily available like they are now. Until I got a chronograph, I believed the new production (China) Red Ryder shot 350 fps. Turns out none do, a "hot" one may reach 300 fps and are few and far between but the majority are closer to 275 fps.

Mark
Boley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:32pm
An April of 1955 made Model 25 is the hardest shooting Daisy I have. 415 fps. An April 1953 made 111-40 Red Ryder is a close second at 375 fps. Both are (as far as I can tell), original with little signs of use.
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:09pm
There is a noticable difference in my Red Ryders from the early 40's cast iron lever models to the alum lever models in the later 40's and 50's.  The plastic stocked Red Ryders are not nearly as hard a hitter as the older ones.  I only have 3 of the plastic stocked Red Ryders to judge that from.  Daisy must have changed the springs somewhere in the later production years.  All my Daisy's shoot and I try some of them out every chance I get weather permitting.  The exception is I do not shoot the double barrels.
I collect the older lever Daisy's and have only one model 25 from the 1920's.  That one can not match the hard hitting King for sure.  My 25 is probably comparable to the Red Ryders give or take a little.  I am just saying this from shooting at alum cans at 30 to 50 ft to judge it by the penetration.  I do not have any way of testing the fps.
I have read that the Kings were built for a .180 bb lead or steel and caused Daisy a lot of problems with those bb's jamming in the Daisy's built for a .177 bb before Daisy purchased Markham King and solved the issue.
Just My Experience
Rick in TX
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Boley Boley wrote:

An April of 1955 made Model 25 is the hardest shooting Daisy I have. 415 fps. An April 1953 made 111-40 Red Ryder is a close second at 375 fps. Both are (as far as I can tell), original with little signs of use.
I can't imaging a stock Red Ryder shooting 375 fps. If you only knew what it took to get a new RR up to just 350 fps, you'd understand why! A model 425 shooting 425 fps is beyond wild. I would love to own one that hot!

I'll get out Gary Garber's book and see what a '55 model 25 looks like and will start watching the auctions.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 9:54am
Supposedly the King's did shoot harder than Daisy's but also wore out faster due to the stress.
Also Markham pushed the edge in power as a better killer for small game. A great sales pitch to young boys, not so much to many parents.
Gary

Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Bavaria55n Bavaria55n wrote:

Supposedly the King's did shoot harder than Daisy's but also wore out faster due to the stress.
Also Markham pushed the edge in power as a better killer for small game. A great sales pitch to young boys, not so much to many parents.
Gary

My King I referred to is marked King Markham.  The reason I refer to it as a King is King listed first on the receiver.  I have other Markham Kings which Markham is listed first.  I have never understood why they were stamped different on different models.  I have one really small frame and short Markham King that must have been made for a small kid.  Really cute in my opinion and a different shape from all the others.  I only have a few Kings and ended up with them sort of by accident while collecting the Daisy's.
Like I stated earlier I collect the old Plymouth lever Daisy's.  Most of the fun is in the hunt and then making them work correctly if they don't when I find them.
Just My Experience
Rick in TX
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 5:18pm
The hardest shooting Daisy BB gun I ever shot over a chrony was a Model 25 at just under 360 fps. Pretty sure it was a "1936" var. I just sold one that was doing right at 350 fps. I've have a bunch of 111 model 40's (10 or 12) None of them topped 350. I know, I know, not a very big sampling. Just my experience. The hardest shooting BB spring powered BB gun I ever shot was a Japanese "Pioneer". Kind of a cool looking Kentucky squirrel rifle thing with a Daisy style model 25 shot tube. The shot tube was about 2" longer though. The rifle must have been near 48". 

All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 5:19pm
Whoooooops forgot to mention the Pioneer shot at right around 380 fps.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic