Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Models 98 and96

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Models 98 and96
    Posted: September-30-2017 at 10:46am
I just salvaged an old model 98, wood stock and safety, from what would be certain scrap. Worst I have ever seen. Thick rust and almost no spring action. Thought it would be good for a few parts. After disassembly and a cleaning I decided to try my luck with putting it back in shooting condition. I used a modified105 sight for the missing front cap and after sanding, paint and stain WOW. What a great little shooter!
I'm tempted to have a go with an even worse model 96. Anyone know where to get/make a 96 shot tube?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 9:20pm
I have a spare 96 shot tube. Got it for a 96 project I thought about 'restoring' but went a different direction w/the gun (instead of putting it back stock I basically hot rodded it and used a 25 shot tube w/a barrel shroud extension so it would work). I'd have to check but I seem to remember giving $10 for it.
Airitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 1:19pm
Funny you mention the model25. I took the tube from my25 and screwed it in. It sticks out about1/4 inch. I have an old front sight so I think I can make a spacer. Next is finding a trigger.

What condition is your96 tube? I'm not a purist but always looking to save a little effort. Thanks Cobalt.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 2:28pm
Well, it works normally, as in the spring clip holds the BB as it should, it's not bent, not rusty, that sort of thing. And the loading port cover is in the correct position for the front sight that the 96 uses.

Here it is:

Airitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 5:44pm
Looks good. contact me at my new email addres.   Also, maybe you can give me a few tips about adding pix to the chat.
Airitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2017 at 6:10pm
Well, after a good rust removal both inside and out, I assembled the model 96 with parts and pieces from other guns. Even the trigger is a one-piece thing from who knows what. But, the darn thing shoots! i can tell it isn't very strong but it shoots. This one should be called Frankenrifle.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2017 at 8:31pm
On my wide frame guns I often found the springs to be tweaked/distorted. That causes them to drag on the plunger tube and even if the seals are great (which they often aren't), they will shoot slower than they should.

As for the seals, this may have been mentioned already but the seals for the current production Model 25 works in the wide body Daisys (88, 90, 95, 96, 98, 99, etc.). 

Easiest way is to get the spring, air tube and oval pin is to order the current production Red Ryder plunger assembly from Daisy for $4.00. Then the barrel seal and plunger head can be bought for the 25 and you're set. Whole thing should run around $12.00 w/postage. The deal here is, if the new air tube is used, the new oval retainer pin has to be used in place of the original round pin This is because of the shape of the hole in the current production air tube.

I copied your email so you can remove it to keep the spambots from getting ya. I will email you later this evening.

And good job on getting yours up and running! The wide frame Daisys are my favorites. When I was a kid, I never even heard of them. Around my circle of friends, the 102 was the most common, a 25 or Red Ryder was a rarity, as was any pump-up airgun.
Airitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 5:57pm
I have to be honest here. I never even owned an airgun until a few years ago.    That being said, one of my fav's is a wide frame with the SEARS name and plastic stock. It is a real babe. It works great but when the time comes to make repairs, will I be able to use comparable model 96 parts? Except for the stocks, of course.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2017 at 7:50am
Yes, seals should be the same, no reason for Sears to spec anything different for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic