Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying Early 70s Model 99 to Rattletrap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2023 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by teerex.otw teerex.otw wrote:

Did you get a chance to visit the Daisy museum while you were there ? My daughter lives in Ar. and I took a “field trip” during a visit…The museum isn’t huge, but if you’re a Daisy fan, you’ll find something there that will impress you !
$165. is getting on the pricey side of things. I got one of the aforementioned 299 barrels, and using parts from various “donor” guns (mostly a pretty trashy 96) and a couple of homemade parts, it came in at around $50.
Wish I could send a picture, I like the way this one turned out.

I was doing work in 2010 at the old Daisy-Magnum plant about a mile south of the museum on Hwy 71B.  I believe it is now a recycling facility.  I've been by the Daisy museum several times, but I've never stopped in.

J.G. only appears to have one 299 barrel shroud left, and the finish looks very poor.  There are two very nice 299 Models on ebay for $95 each plus shipping.  That's where the $165 I quoted above comes from, plus the rebuild kit. 

I want to experiment a little with the Model 96 shot tube first before I spend anymore.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2023 at 2:01pm
Todd, I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind for this project but if you give me an email (my email address is in my profile) maybe I can help. Seriously I stay away from ebay. It's easier to exchange pictures and converse by email for me.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2023 at 7:34pm
I don't know if this is a viable option, but I have a nice model 1000 that I could sell along with the upgrade parts (high performance spring, 7/16" ID air tube w/pin and a seal set) for $60 plus shipping.
Handy_Cruiser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I don't know if this is a viable option, but I have a nice model 1000 that I could sell along with the upgrade parts (high performance spring, 7/16" ID air tube w/pin and a seal set) for $60 plus shipping.

I just noticed that you are the one I got the repair/upgrade kit from for my Model 99.  Ironically, you just responded to me on eBay about a kit for a Model 1000.  I am Enviroguy on eBay.  I've emailed you with more information.

The Model 96 shot tube I bought arrived this morning.  It appears to be a Red Ryder shot tube with the fill port door repositioned for the 96.  Good work, but whoever did the mod didn't cover the original spot weld hole.  As reported by others, the bottle cap shot tube is too short.  Based on my measurement, it is 1/4 inch shorter than the original Model 99 shot tube.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2023 at 8:36pm
I haven't received an email. My address is:
cobalt327 at hotmail.com, correct"at" to @ and remove spaces
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2023 at 8:53am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I haven't received an email. My address is:
cobalt327 at hotmail.com, correct"at" to @ and remove spaces

I just resent the email. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2023 at 6:54pm
Buying the Model 1000 was definitely the better way to go to scratch my rattletrap itch.  The 99 Champion is firing at an average 320 fps on an Acetech AC5000 chronograph from Amazon.  The 1000 is firing at around 298 fps with the rattletrap shot tube.  And with the Model 20 shot tube, it averages 307 fps.  Both guns are using 7/64" overbored air tubes and performance main springs from Cobalt327. 

I will post some more about the Model 1000 rebuild with photos later in a new thread.  Thanks for all the help and advice!  Handshake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic