Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mods for the 880?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Segata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods for the 880?
    Posted: February-14-2024 at 8:23pm
I've managed to pick one up since starting to want one just before Christmas, not new but slightly used as came with a bunch of extras that I'll be using for all of my Guns, naturally after having it 5 minutes I'm thinking of ways to make it mine, I'm not talking power as its already making my legal limit but anything else to look into could be fun.

Thanks in advance.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2024 at 7:58am
Here's a couple ideas for you.   You could do a wrap on the cocking lever handle. A cord wrap around the pistol grip. Use a wood burner or steel stamping set to melt your initials into the plastic stock or forearm. Etch a design on a pair of scope mounts. The possibilities are endless!
Russ
Air-It-Is
Segata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Segata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2024 at 12:12pm
Not sure I'd want to stamp it just incase the plastic deformed more than intended but I could always paint some scrollwork I guess, definately wouldn't mind doing soething with the cocking lever as being plastic it flexs a bit and that puts a bit of worry about longevity in me, couldn't find any replacement kits though like you can for a RR so guess I'd have to make it from scratch.
Pump wrap sounds good if I can find where my leather went and scope mounts I could definately do as I've got piles of them intended for modifying to fit an old Webley that uses a wierd old Mount so could always do it at the same time.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2024 at 1:55pm
What I had in mind was to heat up the steel stamps and melt initials in one spot, not enough to deform the whole stock. Kind of like branding a calf. Adding a sling is also kind of cool.... leather, vinyl, whatever. Don't exclude accents with metallic paint or mounting a coin, token or medallion with heavy duty adhesive.
Russ
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2024 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Segata Segata wrote:

Not sure I'd want to stamp it just incase the plastic deformed more than intended but I could always paint some scrollwork I guess, definately wouldn't mind doing soething with the cocking lever as being plastic it flexs a bit and that puts a bit of worry about longevity in me, couldn't find any replacement kits though like you can for a RR so guess I'd have to make it from scratch.
Pump wrap sounds good if I can find where my leather went and scope mounts I could definately do as I've got piles of them intended for modifying to fit an old Webley that uses a wierd old Mount so could always do it at the same time.
Good stuff! Here's a few more ideas. If it has the old style plastic lever, replace it with the new style lever- it's stiffer so it flexes less and will last forever. The lever part number is 169171-000, costs $4.00 plus shipping last time I bought one.

Use some self-adhesive felt or "moles skin" in the cocking lever slot to deaden the *clack* when the gun is pumped. You can also remove the spring lever retainer- the lever will stay in place without it just fine as long as the 'elastomer spring' is in good shape. Makes pumping easier and quieter, too.

Modify the trigger for better pull. Ron sells a kit that works well for this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234217993302?itmmeta=01HPQDYGXG03ZX1HYHQGBA7NSP&hash=item36887af456:g:-qAAAOSwoz5hWvbg
Segata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Segata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2024 at 12:42am
The Pump lever is the newer one from what I can tell as the Gun wasn't that old, think they guy brought it with bits to use it but just never got to it, it's got all the current warnings on it thats for definate.
Its the Bolt one that feels a bit scary when you initially pull it back to open the breech.

Sling yes I will sort one in time as it's a must in the long run as I have difficulties walking so need my hands free, inlaying something like a coin I'll look into, not sure what would suit but might be something in the various boxes of gubbins.

Trigger kit I'll look into, my UK account will not allow me to order even parts from ebay.com despite it being perfectly legal to import so I'd have to find another way to buy it.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2024 at 2:18am
If you decide to use a metal lever, get a 1-piece cast metal lever, not the older type that is made from sheet metal.  

Another easy modification is to swap the front sight for a fiber optic sight. I use a wooden dowel as a driver, a couple taps with a light hammer and it'll pop right off. Part number is 137970-000.

This is a link to a thread about the 880. You can also do a search on the GTA forum for 880 info- there's a lot of it: 
Segata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Segata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2024 at 3:12pm
Shes already got a fibre fitted, seems to be the norm for UK guns, can't find a metal pump lever though even on ebay US to try and find another middle man to get it sent over and Daisy only seems to carry the Plastic.
Nothiced an issue today while plinking, I really struggled with getting pellets correctly into the breech, a Pellet speedloader I know wont line up enough but I'm looking into finding something thats either curved or grips the pellet to get it into place enough for the bolt to do the rest.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2024 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Segata Segata wrote:

Shes already got a fibre fitted, seems to be the norm for UK guns, can't find a metal pump lever though even on ebay US to try and find another middle man to get it sent over and Daisy only seems to carry the Plastic.
Nothiced an issue today while plinking, I really struggled with getting pellets correctly into the breech, a Pellet speedloader I know wont line up enough but I'm looking into finding something thats either curved or grips the pellet to get it into place enough for the bolt to do the rest.

Sometimes a common eyebrow tweezer makes a handy little tool for grabbing and placing stubborn pellets.
Russ
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2024 at 11:38am
I just got a message from a fellow in canada
He is bemoaning the fact that he can't order new parts directly from Daisy. So close yet so far. 😪
Russ
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic