Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Model 25 issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Model 25 issues
    Posted: September-29-2017 at 12:59am
I have a new Daisy model 25 with the front sight leaning to the left causing it to shoot to the right. Wondering if anyone else with recent model 25’s have had this issue? Also, after inserting either a partially or fully loaded shot tube into the uncocked gun, if I point the gun downward, the first bb falls out of the barrel! If I cock the gun and then install the loaded shot tube, this does not happen. I understand the air tube retracts after cocking, therefore not pushing the bb off the magnet. Is my air tube too long? Has anyone else heard of this problem. Have spoken to Hannah at Daisy and they are going to send me a new shot tube. Also a return authorization if I need it.
Have two new Red Ryders a new model 35 and this new number 25. You could say I have the bug lol.
Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 1:05am
Forgot to mention I have already adjusted the rear sight all the way to the left as far as it will go and am shooting mostly at only 15-16 feet
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 5:48am
Is the front sight blade straight, but the sight is attached canted instead of at 12 o'clock?

There's nothing wrong w/the gun's air tube or shot tube. The 25's all drop a BB like you described. Nice they're sending you a free shot tube, though. In my experience, CS is basically clueless as to how these guns (any of them) actually function.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 12:15pm
Yep, nothing wrong with the operation of your 25. When you cock the gun, the airtube is pulled back, allowing the next bb to move into position in front of it. Thats how it loads the next bb from the magazine. The trigger releases the plunger and airtube, sending the bb on its way. If you load the shot tube on an unlocked gun, the airtube is already forward, so it just pushed the first bb out if the way as the shot tube is installed.

Barrels on 25s are rarely straight. The all have a little banana shape to them. That doesn't have to be a problem, though, and can be used to correct the bb impact point in relation to the aim point.

Say the gun always shoots a little to the right with the barrel screwed in all the way. Try unscrewing it a quarter turn, and seeing if it now shoots a little low instead of right. Unscrew another quarter turn, and see if it now shoots left. Within 1 rotation, you should find the spot where the shot goes where you want. Basically, you rotate it until the banana curve points up, or in line with the sights. Put a little dot on the top of your shot tube's rim with a marker so you can find that angle again. The next time you load up, screw it the whole way in, then unscrew until your dot is on top. That process worked great with every 25 I've had.

Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 1:06pm
BurghDude, Wow, thanks for the quick reply! It’s strange that they don’t mention in the owners manual that the first bb will end up on the floor if you don’t cock the gun before installing the loaded shot tube. I guess the reason is that they don’t want you to install a loaded shot tube in a cocked gun for safety reasons. Glad to hear this is normal operation and not a malfunction. Very interesting on adjusting the barrel position for different points of impact. I’ll try it. Thanks!
Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 1:21pm
Cobalt 327 Yes seems straight on the center of the barrel, but canted to the left. I’m afraid to straighten it for fear of opening up the non welded seam on the bottom of the barrel shroud and also possibly cracking the paint. Btw, really enjoyed your well written series on your various experiments to increase the velocity of you Daisy BB gun. I hear taking those things apart is not for the faint of heart lol!
Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 1:32pm
Cobalt327 Thank you for the fast reply, and also to let you know that I read all 18 pages of your postings on increasing the velocity of your daisy lever action with great interest! Learned a heck of a lot. Really interesting!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 2:34pm
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. That thread was written as I was learning and experimenting so it wanders around a lot. Too much, actually. I want to make a table of contents for the admin to add to the first page to make finding specific things easier but I haven't done that yet. It has been fun, though. A well known bonafide airgun guru told me that (paraphrasing) "the Daisy BB gun is maxed out. Any attempts at increasing the MV to any degree will result in disappointment." I decided to put that to the test and was rewarded with decent results. And I was floored by the gains made by hinz57 to his model 1998 "Pink Ryder"- well over 400 fps using only two non-Red Ryder parts- a Daisy 499 shot tube turned down to fit the RR abutment and an air tube he made from a couple bucks worth of ebay tubing! I know a lot of folks will scoff at that but that's humming right along, considering the current 1938B is only good for about 260 fps unmodified.

On the tweaked front sight, if you bought it from a big box or reputable retailer, just return it. If that's not practical, something you could try is to use automotive type hose clamps over the barrel (protect the barrel of course so it doesn't get marred). Tighten them just enough to stabilize the barrel while you carefully bend the sight back into alignment using pliers w/protected jaws. It would take a lot of bending to cause that paint to chip, it's on there good!
Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 2:48pm
A table of contents for your very comprehensive thread on The High Road forum would be a great idea at some point. Excellent idea also on using padded hose clamps to keep the barrel shroud seam from opening up while straightening the front sight.......
Drumhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 5:06pm
Yes, Hinz57 made some great strides in velocity with the help of his brother the machinist. I don’t own a chronograph, but I noticed that a brand new 2017 Red Ryder has some pretty good punch that seems to settle down pretty quickly after two or three hundred shots. Kind of disappointing. I’d say your crony numbers on the new ones are pretty much on the money. Still a really fun gun to own and shoot. Keep up the great research and experimentation guys, I don’t think there are too many doing it, at least that are documenting it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic