Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newb with Daisy model 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb with Daisy model 25
    Posted: August-01-2020 at 1:54pm
Hi all, found this forum searching for some info on a model 25.  I picked up an assortment of Daisies from my wife's late uncle.  Looks like the model 25 is from the early 1950s from what I can tell; it has a wooden stock and no oil hole in the barrel.  I also have a Red Ryder 1938B that appears to be from the 1980s, and I have a couple of model 25s that may have been parts donors.

Anyway, the model 25 needs a new plunger seal.  I found a replacement shot tube for it, loaded it, and it doesn't propel the BB but it makes a puff of air if I point it at some leaves.  I got it apart, and found the plunger seal seems to have turned to black goo.

I've been finding repair kits online, but many of them say for the painted finish, not the blued finish.  Mine does not appear to be painted.  The other puzzling thing is seeing some Youtube videos on how to disassemble it, the ones I've seen have a narrow tube on the front of the plunger.  Mine does not have one, is that normal?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 9:09pm
It sounds like you have a 25 that uses leather seals. The tube that extends out the front is the air tube, and it's a necessary part of the gun- it allows the gun to be a repeater, and it directs the air charge into the shot tube. If the seal has disintegrated, there's a couple possibilities. If it's leather gone soft and gooey, it could have had some "unauthorized" substance applied to it in error. If it was replaced with a later rubber seal, that same thing might have happened, because some substances will damage rubber.

Finding a good leather piston/air tube assembly is hit and miss. I see them occasionally on ebay, but their condition cannot be easily ascertained by photos. And they're usually fairly expensive. If you decide to buy a used one, be sure it's for the 25 and not one of the lever guns because the air tube of the 25 is longer. The following is from my notes, hopefully someone better versed in the 25 will come along soon to help.

·        New production model 25 is 3.15” from forward edge of pin hole to tip- same as Red Ryder, etc.

·        Old round pin type air tubes are mostly 3.25” from forward edge of pin hole to tip

·        No. 25 Ply. guns are 3.5” from forward edge of pin hole to tip

·        1957 Ply. 25 is 3.625” from center of hole to tip, this means it’s close to 3.5” if measured from forward edge of pin hole to tip

Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 11:01pm
Hello sparkydave. I believe you might find some instruction on your No 25's innards if you go this forum thread: No 25 leather reseal question. It will explain the type of seal you most likely are looking for. Keep us posted. 
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:35am

Thanks Cobalt for that info on the air tubes. I didn't realize the differences.  I have an early 25 with the adjustable front sight that is missing the air tube. Not really interested in shooting it but would want to make it operational. Would the tube from a later Plymouth 25 work for this? I haven't taken the plunger assembly out yet so I'm not sure of the overall condition.
sparkydave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:44am
Thanks for the info.  Looking at the front of the plunger, it appears that the air tube may have been broken off.  The other two model 25s appear to be painted, and they are both missing the shot tubes.

I found the thread about the leather seal replacement.  Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes out for a replacement plunger head.  Are these limited to scrounging for parts, or is there a place where one can buy a replacement?  I have my doubts about the rest of the plunger assembly, it looks like the pivot point at the rear where the cocking lever engages has worn a bit.

Would the plungers from the painted ones be useful at all?  I haven't tried taking them apart to see if the plungers are any good.

Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:33pm
First I would shine a light down the barrels of the guns missing the shot tubes. See if there is an intact air tube in either gun. If the air tubes are intact, I would get my hands on a shot tube and see if either gun is functional as is (shot tubes are interchangeable in most No 25s). If functional, then your choice to use them as parts guns or not. I believe painted guns have a lot number or a serial number stamped on the receiver. Use the number as a guide to age. This forum has numerous threads on dating these Daisies via those numbers. A broken air tube would seem to indicate a leather-sealed air tube. Neoprene seals (next generation) air tubes are replaceable, but leather air tubes are, in my experience, generally scrounged intact from donor guns. Good news is leather replacement seals are available as well. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic