Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nickel plated 1894?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nickel plated 1894?
    Posted: February-08-2020 at 12:32am

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a factory-made nickel plated 1894? There’s one listed on eBay- it does not say it's factory, but that's what I'm curious about. It’s here- https://www.ebay.com/itm/274253022994?_trksid=p2471758.m4704 . My first thought was, it’s polished and not plated, but I really do not know. It is pretty looking, whatever it is...

The same seller has an 1894 Golden Boy listed, it's here https://www.ebay.com/itm/223896647037?_trksid=p2471758.m4704 It comes in a Sears box that's labeled as "Sample". The gun's in VVG shape, and the price reflects this. In that case, I wonder what "sample" means?

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2020 at 8:59am
I know pictures don't show true color, but does that look like true nickel? Also did you notice the stock and forearm are different shades? Screws are both slotted and philips. The gun is very pretty, though!
Air-It-Is
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2020 at 10:22am
Scroll down through Burgdude's "A Collection of 1894s". I have that one...I thought it was chrome??? Mine is close to mint.
Marv, NW OH
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2020 at 12:34pm
The NRA commemoratives had a shiny frame (also the Buffalo Bills?).
Not sure what the finish was.
Judging by the scratches on that one it seems to be something applied to the frame rather than just polished bare metal.
Gary

BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2020 at 1:14pm
So did it come from the factory that way, or was it made that way by someone?
And, as Airitis has mentioned, was it put together with parts from different guns?

MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2020 at 2:16pm
Just now gave my gun a closer inspection. The slotted and phillips screws are identical to those on the ebay auction. Never realized it before, but the stock and forearm on my gun DO NOT match. The previous owner (back in 2014) called the finish "chrome". How do you differentiate between nickel and chrome?
Here's a response from the seller...I was a bidder and asked for more info...
"

"Looking at the gun, I would say the stock and forearm do match. I loaded a bb and shot it and it worked fine. Dennis"

I am no longer a bidder.

Marv, NW OH
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2020 at 2:46pm

The photo below is what makes me think it could be polished. To me, the circled area looks ‘frosted’. I have seen that same effect when I have polished metal here in the shop. It can be caused by a difference in pressure applied by the felt buffing wheel to the flat surface versus the concave area where the hole is. I also see what to me looks like a gold hue to the frosted area (ETA- could just as easily be the camera, or even my imagination), something that could be caused by polishing a receiver that had originally been on a Golden Spike or Golden Boy. Of course, there may well be another explanation and the gun may be plated from the factory.

Marv, I hope you didn’t pull out of the auction because I brought attention to the gun. If you did, I apologize.

Regards, Mark

MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2020 at 3:24pm
Mark...Ha...Ha...dropped out when I realized I had one!!!!
Don't need two !!!!
Marv, NW OH
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2020 at 4:04pm
Okay- that's good!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic