Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No "RED RYDER" logo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No "RED RYDER" logo
    Posted: October-05-2019 at 2:25pm
Which varient (year) did the No 111 Model 40 come with no logo on either side of the oak stock? 
Marv, NW OH
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 4:27pm
That's a new one on me. Going to listen and learn!

The only thing I heard of that's somewhat similar was some ~ mid-'57 model 94 Red Ryders that came with an unmarked stock, but their stocks were plastic.
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 4:47pm
Kinda what I suspected... The stock has a slightly different color/finish than the forearm..it is probably a replacement...but a pretty darn good one.
Marv, NW OH
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 5:22pm
Just now listed it on e-bay.
See item # 323938974816
Comments????
Marv, NW OH
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 6:14pm

The No. 108 model 39 Lightning Loader has a stock identical to the RR without the logo. I noticed your stock doesn't have much of a crescent shape like other RR's.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by MarvMar MarvMar wrote:

Just now listed it on e-bay.
See item # 323938974816
Comments????
Well, the gun has the features of a 1951-’52 Red Ryder (could be 1953 if it has a REG. NO. but I cannot make one out in the photo). If this is the case the gun would have had a plastic stock and forearm, so it would seem that the gun has a stock on it from another gun and zipper28's guess of a 108-39 matches it pretty well except in the grip area where the gun in question looks wider unless this is caused by the camera angles. In the photo immediately below the top gun is a 108-39 and the bottom gun is the gun in question.

Below, the top gun is a legit 111-40, the bottom gun is the gun in question. The forearm band on the gun in question is not from a 111-40, it's too narrow. If I had to guess I'd say both the forearm and band came from a 1938B. I can't tell from the photo if it has a phillips head screw for the forearm but if it does that would support the idea that the forearm parts are from a 1938B.

ETA- It's not surprising to see the warpage-prone plastic Red Ryder stock having been replaced with wood. And while this isn't original, it's my opinion that it is an improvement. 

In my not-so-humble opinion, Daisy screwed the pooch when they went to plastic on these guns- especially considering the plastic was junk. That they went back to all wood on the No. 1938 and later Red Ryders shows good judgement on their part, although a little late.

Now, with the latest Daisy BB gun release- the model 1999- they have again chosen to use plastic for the stocks. But these guns are not Red Ryders, and the plastics used today are uber durable so to me it's not quite so bad, but I still feel wood is what Daisy BB gun stocks should be made of.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 9:10am
I would say it is a stock from another gun or a well made replacement.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 5:14pm
I have seen a lot of people call some Daisy rifle's Red Ryder's, which they were not. There was no wood stock Red Ryder made without the Red Ryder logo
Stevec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic