Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.12 Model 24 Seal Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No.12 Model 24 Seal Question
    Posted: October-10-2021 at 3:44pm
Hi. I have a 1920's No.12 Model 24 single shot rifle that I am replacing the leather seals in. Upon disassembly, I found that there is no abutment seal. Is that correct or is there suppose to be one there? The plunger is just flat on the end with no air tube since it is a single shot. Ive never had one this early apart before. The abutment washer is in place and appears to be flat on each side with an approximate 1/4" hole in the center. Also, in a photo I found online, it shows a leather washer on the end of the magazine tube. Mine is missing. My thought is that this washer takes the place of the later abutment seal. Thanks, Cliff
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2021 at 5:01pm
Cliff, you are correct- the leather washer on the shot tube does the work of the traditional abutment seal. The photos are of a shot tube from a No. 12 Model 29, which is similar:

undertaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2021 at 6:42pm
Cobalt, you nailed it! I made a washer to fit the barrel and it is one hard hitting BB gun! Its a neat ole gun. I have some lead BB's coming that I am anxious to try.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2021 at 8:43pm
Well done! I hope the lead shot will work good for you. It's hard to find the .175" size lead shot these guns used originally. If push comes to shove, you can try some Marksman Premium Grade Steel BBs like sold by Pyramyd Air (link below)- they are the largest diameter steel BB available, and will fit the shot tube better than other steel BBs. 

There are also Marksman "Laserhawk" BBs- they are not the same as the linked-to BB.
undertaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2021 at 10:43am
I have some Gamo .177 round lead ball coming. From what i have read, it tends to measure close to .177 although, it does shoot my Umarex BB;'s quite well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic