Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oiliing a vintage red ryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretson4305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oiliing a vintage red ryder
    Posted: January-15-2017 at 7:18pm
So i just recieved my 1947-49 red ryder yesterday and it fires great but when i load it the bb just kind of spits out about two feet im wondering if it needs oil or i need to switch to the .175 caliber bbs ive also read that it may be the leather seals that need replaced any advice would be welcomed,thank you
John in N.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:03pm
Oil is the cheapest and quickest way to find out. Put a generous amount down the barrel and stand it upright overnight. Try it the next day but expect some serious spraying of oil for at least a few shots. If this doesn't improve things your culprit could be a worn plunger seal and/or broken air tube. Good luck, keep us posted.
Boley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:12pm
Congratulations! And I'd say oil it and use regular Daisy zinc plated BB's. Some of the experts will likely respond with suggestions about how to oil it and the best products to use. Good luck,I've only had to reseal 2 or 3 of the several vintage Daisy's I shoot. A little cleaning and oiling usually does the trick.

Boley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:17pm
John, I was typing when you were posting. I didn't mean to imply that you are not among the "experts".
                 Tom
garretson4305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretson4305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:26pm
Thanks everyone for ideas im sure glad i joined this group everybody has been very helpful ill keep you guys posted thanks again
John in N.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:59pm
Tom, no worries, I'm certainly no expert, it's just that sometimes oil solves 98% of old Daisy stomach upset ! LOL.
Tbird View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 1:56pm
Like others posted try to oil it first. Pull out the shot tube and put about 5 to 6 drops of 30 weight motor oil (only use 30 weight motor oil, due not use WD40 or anything like that) down the barrel. Stand the gun up overnight with the barrel pointing up (Make sure you put something under the butt of the gun to catch any oil that may drip out of the gun). This will allow the oil to soak into the leather seal and swell it up to make a tight seal. The next day fire the gun outside a few times with the shot tube still removed from the gun to blow out the extra oil then wipe the gun down with a rag. re-install the shot tube and add BB's and hopefully it will shoot good again for you.

FYI: when you first remove the shot tube check down the barrel with a good flashlight to see if the air tube is still intact.

If doing all of this still doesn't work then you probably need to replace the leather seal. If you need to replace the seal then let me know and I can help you with that also. Not really that hard to do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretson4305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the info tbird and everyone else,i will try that i do know the air tube is still intact already checked, ill see how it goes ill keep you posted im hoping it does the trick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretson4305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:06pm
So i tried the 30w oil overnight and shes back to life and firing like a champ thanks to everyone for the help
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:58pm
I really like them old leather seals. A bit of oil goes a long way toward bringing them back to life. Rubber has it's place but once deformed, in any way, stick a fork in it. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic