Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old 880 Value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old 880 Value
    Posted: February-06-2021 at 3:42pm
Hi, looking at and old 880 smoothbore rifle for sale. Needs barrel cover repainted, also receiver covers need repainted. Also needs resealed, Its a 1970's model, stocks are good. Any forum members can give me idea its worth.
Thanks in advance.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2021 at 7:19pm
This is my opinion. Other folks will see things differently, and that's A-OK with me!

Value is largely dependant on condition. What you describe is a gun in poor condition as far as being "collectable". Repainted guns are not worth nearly as much as a gun with the original finish in my experience. Early guns almost always require a complete rebuild, so if this hasn't already been done, you're looking at a minimum of $20 to convert it to use modern 880 seals, or as much as $50-plus if you went with the original intake seal along with the exhaust valve and various O-rings. A gun with a lot of use on it will have loose pump lever joints, and there's no easy way to repair that. Personally, I would not give more than $20.00 for one like I describe.

Is there a reason you want an early smoothbore 880? If the gun will only shoot BBs, this makes sense but if pellets are going to be used, a rifled barrel will be more accurate all else being equal. If this is going to be a wall-hanger, these things don't matter nearly as much. If you want a shooter, there is an 880 made for about 1 year between 1985 and 1986 that has all the good points of the early guns along with good points of the newer guns- no cast-in warnings and instructions, aka "billboards", on the sides of the receivers, metal pump arm, metal receiver, rifled barrel, and a wide loading port that allows pellets other than wadcutters to be easily loaded. It might not be easy to find but it'll reward you with being a great all-around gun.

arizonabob43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonabob43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2021 at 11:42pm
WOW, what an informed post ! Has answered several of my myths regarding the 880. THANKS. 

Would like to see Daisy options for the original/early 880, especially the Williams front and rear sights. I feel this would make a great addition to your post.

Arizona Bob
gumby40 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2021 at 10:34am
Thanks for the info Cobalt327. Its tough to find an oldie in next to new condition. I think I will pass on this one and keep looking.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2021 at 10:47pm
Here's some 880 info: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/topic8044_post34639.html#34639

Daisy used a Williams rear sight on the rare model 882 (the 882 front and rear sights are shown below). When using a Williams rear sight, often a new front sight having the right height will be required. 

I built a 1982 880 into a clone of an 882 by using the Williams rear peep sight that I bought from JG Airguns (shown in the bottom 2 photos). I had a front sight for the Williams sight custom made with a 3D printer. It uses a Daisy model 753 globe front sight and it has a built-in silencer. But a usable front sight could be made from a standard sight by building up the height of the blade using a thermoset plastic. I'm sure there are other Williams sight options (front and rear) as well. 

I don't really care for the original 882 front sight- it uses the smaller diameter inserts the same as the model 99 and 499 uses, plus it just doesn't look that
good IMHO. Some may say the same thing about mine, but it does work well and makes the gun whisper quiet to shoot. My clone cost me over $100 to build, and
even though it's in very good condition, I seriously doubt I'd be able to sell it for what I have in it. But it is a fine shooter, and I'd never be able to justify the
$300-$400 an 882 costs, so it's all good!

gumby40 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2021 at 11:38am
From the info you gave me I believe this is the 880 I was looking at. 1979 April is first date for rifled barrel, shroud is not stamped “RIFLED BARREL” (has welded sight). Has Powerline buttplate, according to owner it is an 880? Looks like the one you have pictured, except for the sight upgrade.
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2021 at 4:47pm
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/11/daisy-22sg-multi-pump-pneumatic-part-1/
Ejwills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic