Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original early Red Ryder Shot Tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original early Red Ryder Shot Tube
    Posted: March-11-2017 at 6:33pm
Hi,

I have a very early, 1940's, Red Ryder shot tube with a blockage.

I thought it was rusty BB's stuck as happens some times, but after several tries to tap them out with a steel rod and a light hammer, it became obvious that it was going to be more difficult than usual.

I finally got through it, with WD-40 and more tapping, but there were no BB's, just rust.

Now I have a clear opening but it is only about 75 % clear.

How do I clear the rest so it will pass BB's again? Is there a steel brush in .117 caliber or is there another way you have tried?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you and regards, gkenny.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2017 at 7:26pm
Sounds like the tube would be pitted even if you get it cleared. If it were mine, I'd leave it to soak in a white vinegar bath for a couple weeks. I have had good luck dissolving/softening rust with this method. Especially in hard to reach spots. Then run a metal bristle brush through there some. They absolutely make "real" gun cleaning tools for .177. Your local gun shop should have a good set. There are .177 firearms and they need cleaning. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by the fuse the fuse wrote:

Sounds like the tube would be pitted even if you get it cleared. If it were mine, I'd leave it to soak in a white vinegar bath for a couple weeks. I have had good luck dissolving/softening rust with this method. Especially in hard to reach spots. Then run a metal bristle brush through there some. They absolutely make "real" gun cleaning tools for .177. Your local gun shop should have a good set. There are .177 firearms and they need cleaning. 

Thanks Fuse, very good suggestions there. I will look into the .177 tools while the shot tube is soaking in the white vinegar bath.

Regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2017 at 9:59pm
Depending on how the shot tube came to be rusted solid (for instance, if water was able to get into the shot tube with the gun sitting muzzle-up), the air tube and compression chamber, as well as the spring and plunger tube, etc. could all need attention.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Depending on how the shot tube came to be rusted solid (for instance, if water was able to get into the shot tube with the gun sitting muzzle-up), the air tube and compression chamber, as well as the spring and plunger tube, etc. could all need attention.

Thanks for your input Cobalt327, I only have the tube, not the whole gun, but I think it will clean up sufficiently to be fully functional. It is in great condition otherwise and from one of the first Red Ryders.

Thanks again and regards, gkenny.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic