Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 11:18pm
Follow up picture which did not attach to the prior post.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:30pm
The stock could be a 1973-'82 model 880 if the buttplate says "Power Line". The end that attaches to the gun being broken off keeps me from saying for sure.

The BBs are what surprised me when I saw them. They look to be concentrated at the pistol grip for whatever reason.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 5:33pm
Very interesting dissections.  Thanks for posting.
Be Prepared
Gumslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 5:38pm
The BBs were flat grey, and at first I thought they were lead, but they proved to be steel. I never gave a thought to a rifle's center of gravity, but maybe Daisy was trying to balance something out? It must have been for a good reason. I look at it this way: four stocks like this would have used 1,000 BBs alone. Kind of expensive--unless they were trying to get RID of BBs.Smile
BTW--the butt plate does indeed say 'Powerline'.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:47pm
Rejected BBs, maybe? It would be interesting to measure some of them to see what their diameter and concentricity looked like.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:33pm
I thought about that too, as they were uncoated BBs. I thought about dropping them thru my drill bit sizer to get a dimension, but here is the problem. They still have residual foam on them. I tried to soak it off via: water, beer, WD-40, gasoline, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, acetone, and lacquer thinner. Nothing worked. If you would like, I will send you the lot of them to experiment with. Just do not mix them up with your good BBs...
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Gumslinger Gumslinger wrote:

I thought about that too, as they were uncoated BBs. I thought about dropping them thru my drill bit sizer to get a dimension, but here is the problem. They still have residual foam on them. I tried to soak it off via: water, beer, WD-40, gasoline, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, acetone, and lacquer thinner. Nothing worked. If you would like, I will send you the lot of them to experiment with. Just do not mix them up with your good BBs...
I can see how getting the cured foam off would be a problem. Acetone cuts it when uncured, but after it cures I guess it has to be mechanically removed, so I don't have anything that will do it either.
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 8:55am

You might try burning the residue off then soaking in acetone. Save the beer for later.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Gumslinger Gumslinger wrote:

Try more beer.  For you, not the BB's.  Even if it doesn't work, you won't care!

Be Prepared

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 3:50pm
Zipper, fire produced an appealing glaze (sigh). I will try BSAGuy's solution and attempt to apply beer until I can no longer focus on the appearance at hand. That should suffice. Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic