Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 3:36pm
So, my neighbor says, what you want to do is polish them. He grabbed bit of sand outside the garage, put some on his open palm, dropped a few BBs on top, and then rubbed his palms together while we were talking. Dropped them on a towel and ...voila! Clean enough! 
Looking at them I don't know if they were even supposed to be BBs.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 4:18pm
Polishing them like that was very clever!

Early BBs all had those tell-tale flat spots on them, so to me, they do look like culled BBs. Tossed out of the production line before plating. What do you think?

OLD DAISY BBs

TARGETEER SHOT
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 9:29pm
Well, of course I had to look it up--me knowing nothing about BB history. In Cass Hough's book "It's a Daisy" (p222) he mentions that in the 1970s, under Air Force contract, Daisy pumped out 35-billion BBs. That is "B" as in billions. So, yeah, there might have been a cull or two...Smile
As an aside, it turns out the only way to manufacture a perfect sphere (like a ball bearing) would be to do it outside of earth's gravity....(and here I thought learning about BB guns would be simple).
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 11:28am
So that's what those UFO's have been doing , should be a bunch of them near Roswell Wink
Realshooter
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 3:10pm
Now I'm REALLY curious as to why those BBs are there in the first place.   Extra weight?   Disposing of unwanted BBs? Stability of the foam? I can't imagine.   Someone must know.   
Air-It-Is
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 4:28pm
In the book "The American BB Gun" (p81) it says: (regarding improvements on stocks) "the hollow plastic thump is gone, thanks to a styrofoam and steel ball filling, which provides a real gun heft and stability".
So I'm guessing it was all cosmetic...?
Ford57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 5:58pm
Gumslinger
I have to admit that I learned a lot about warped plastic stocks from this thread. Thank you   
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 10:27pm
I have a couple plastic stocks I scabbed off of Daisy pop guns.   Maybe I'll hang onto them.   Might come in handy sometime.   They fit the 102s, 105s, etc. They're short for little kids but then...... They even accommodate the trigger return springs.

I need to find a gun that needs a stock to justify having them.   Lol.
Air-It-Is
Dana Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 11:30am
I'm not sure this is the best place in this forum to post my need, but here it is.  My wife still has her childhood Daisy No. 102, Model 36, Register # I132059, Rogers, Ark.  It has a plastic stock which is broken where it abuts the top of the barrel.   I thought that it would be easy to find a replacement stock, but have discovered that is not the case.  Is there a good way to reglue the broken piece back in>  Is there a source of used stocks that I have not discovered?

DCB
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 5:00pm
Just a word on the Register number and the gun's age- The first position of your Register No. is actually the letter "I". Daisy quit using the letter I when they changed the numbers in about 1972 so they could be used to ascertain the date of the gun, because with their font the letter I looks too much like the number 1- as you can see! So the letter I tells us your gun was made before about 1972. Of course, if she got it new and remembers how old she was when she received it, you can guess the date fairly closely. If you want a more precise date of when it was made, the Daisy Museum has a form you can use to get the info: http://www.daisymuseum.com/knowmore.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic