Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help identify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtimer5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help identify
    Posted: September-04-2019 at 8:02pm
I have 2 very similar Daisy revolvers.

One is marked model 179.

The one in question has no model no. It is Marked .177 cal B-B S.A. It has no safety like the 179 and it has 2 springs attached to the hammer.

Anybody know what this is?

Thanks, Doug

They both are for sale
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 8:58pm
Can you post some pictures?
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 9:13pm
Going by my notes (I've never owned one), it's the original version of the 179. The lack of Model 179 markings isn't listed as one of the four "official" variations so I'm not sure when the 179 began being marked as such. But the first variation was 1960 to about 1980 and had no safety. After that it got the safety. The last two variations are more scarce- third is supposedly the ones made by Daisy from left over parts. These were sold in an old type box and had a signed COA. They had safeties. I'm unsure what the forth variation was but going by my notes they were very heavy compared to the other 179s.

oldtimer5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtimer5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 4:40pm
I think i got the picture thing figured out. I hope this is not breaking the rules

Doug
BB1Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 6:14pm

Cobalt is correct. The top one is the later model Daisy 179 with the cross-bolt safety. The lower one is the original model Daisy 179 that was made until the early 1980's (around 1981-2). I checked with the 179, I have, that I bought in late 1979. It is the same as the lower one in the picture. Does not say Model 179 on it anywhere.

On right side between the grip & trigger, mine is imprinted in a small box "Made in USA" on 1st line & "Pat. No. 3.102.527" on 2nd line. And "Daisy Mfg. Co." on barrel. Left side has the "Daisy Bulls eye" above the trigger & ".177 CAL B-B S.A. on barrel.

Mine has a "LOT NO. F950059" stamped into the bottom of the grip. This is the serial number, which I think identifies it as being made in June/79. So it is one of the last of the original series.

Although this BB pistol only shot with a little more than 100 feet per second velocity, and the accuracy seriously drops off after around 15 ft., it is fun to hold and is much better balanced and easier to spin/twirl and practice the quick draw with its 4 3/4 inch barrel, than the newer and much more realistic, Umarex Colt Peacemakers that have 5 1/2 inch barrels.

BTW, Model 179 isn't actually an airgun. It is actually sort of a catapult gun, as it shoots the BB via a catapult action. That's why it gets such low FPS.

For more info, read Tom Gaylord's two articles on the Daisy 179:

Hope this helps you.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 5:51am
Thanks for the info, BB1- I will make a note of it. Really neat that you have kept your 179 all these years! I think there's a typo on the date, I believe it should read June/79 not 99.

I hadn't seen those articles by Tom Gaylord. In the comments section of the second installment, I read this: 
"The model number is not stamped into the gun. It is raised letters along the ejector rod housing. The shiny black paint makes it hard to see, but you can feels it there. Use a magnifier and get into bright light and you will see it."
I don't know if he was referring to the first version or the version with the safety, so I wonder if the model might have been missed on the earlier guns?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 6:12am
Originally posted by oldtimer5 oldtimer5 wrote:

I think i got the picture thing figured out. I hope this is not breaking the rules

Doug
Those are very nice looking guns, Doug!

I found an animation of the 179 firing cycle. Right click and select "LOOP" for continuous cycling. The link to it on reddit is HERE.

BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 7:15am
That's a very cool animation, Cobalt.  Thanks for posting it.
Be Prepared
oldtimer5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtimer5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 12:13pm
Thank you,
For both the info & the animation. That was great.
Is the early one worth any more than 179 ?
BB1Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 3:32pm
Cobalt, you are right, the mfg. date of my gun should be Jun/79. I did make a typo, and forgot F is June in Daisy code. I corrected my post.

Where did you get the animation? It is great. Now I better understand how my 179 works. Do you have access to any more of these for the 179? And any for the Daisy 1894? I send the animation to my Daisy repair guy.

I think I need a refresher on determining mfg. dates from s/n on Daisy airguns. How does it work again? I have a number of different variations of the Daisy 1894, I would like to determine mfg. dates from the S/N.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic