Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help identify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 4:29pm
I happened to see the animation while looking at images of the 179 on google. If I see any for the 1894 I'll post it.

The "short" version of using the numbers for dating is:

From here: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/how-to-tell-when-my-gun-was-made-reg-lot-no-code_topic8040.html

READING THE CODE
On most codes containing letters, A through M (less ā€œIā€) is the month. In 2007-2008 the letters changed for the month they represented.

Reg. and Lot Numbers could be read by anyone knowing how from 1972 onward. From 1972 until 1982 the code was one letter (month) followed by six digits. The first digit is the last number of the year. The next five digits is the production sequence.

In approximately 1982 the code format was changed to:
One digit (year)>One letter (month)>Five digits (production sequence)

In about 1993 the format changed to:
Two digits (year)>One letter (month)>Five digits (production sequence).

Since then it has changed several more times and I will be updating the page I linked to above to include this info.

NOTE- MANY Daisy guns have REG. NO.s, but not all- few, actually- can be read for the date. The guns with a REG. NO. that CAN be read are the few (relatively speaking) that were made AFTER Daisy changed the code to be readable sometime in 1972 and when the REG. NO. was dropped and the LOT NO. era began. The guns with REG. NO. that can be read have to be ID'ed using other clues to determine what era they were made, and that's too much to cover here. So the takeaway is, be cautious when dating guns having a REG. NO.!

Guns having LOT NO. can be dated using the LOT. NO.- use the rules above.

Not all guns used/were changed over to LOT NO.s. These guns carried REG. NO.s well into the LOT NO. era, Some of them are the NO. 1938 RED RYDER CARBINE and the model No. 25. For the NO. 1938 RED RYDER CARBINE, the REG. NO. is read the same as a LOT. NO. because they were all made during the time when the numbers could be read for the date.

I have been having long exchanges with Joe Murfin of the Daisy Museum regarding LOT. No.s and he has given me heretofore unpublished info. I will be posting it soon. The new info pertains mostly to the newer China-era guns that use number formats quite different than what had preceded them.

If you have more questions or need clarification, just ask.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic