Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preston Ontario Daisy BB guns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preston Ontario Daisy BB guns
    Posted: February-16-2017 at 8:25pm
Hi all,
Does anybody know something about the history of Daisy's foray into the Canadian market with their facility in Preston? I have an acquaintance who has a Daisy 104 Golden Eagle made there. The receiver/frame is marked 1956...almost like a date. The scope/sight is marked Rogers. Looks just like this one I have except his has a forearm, a forearm band, and his has no safety. He has no interest in selling. It was a gift from his Grandpa. He would like to know something about it's history. BTW he lives in Ontario.

All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
John in N.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 9:53pm
The Preston factory up here was a going concern, especially in the '60's and '70's. They produced a lot of models including the model 25 and the 5 shot rota clip pellet rifles. Being a Canuck I've got several models among my cache. I'm guessing the factory opened up here for economical/financial advantages. The people running it back then were very savvy business wise.
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 8:58am
John, I have 2 of those models with the rotary clip...the Model 404 and the Model 450, and have the same problem with both.
The rotary clip needs to be carefully " nursed" into position so that the pellet lines up perfectly. I can't see any obvious problem, but wonder if new clips would help, but have no idea where to get them. I suspect that either the clips are worn or the mechanism that rotates them needs some sort of adjustment/alignment.

Any suggestions?
Marv, NW OH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 11:14am
There are two systems used on these. One has a spring loaded retainer/indexing slider button and the other has none. The red clips are normally used in the retainer models and the black ones in the other. I bought the indexing buttons from the late Jim Coplen a few years back and I'm guessing the gent who bought his inventory still has some. The tiny nubs that help you click the clip into alignment are indeed probably worn. On either model they're spring loaded so the spring tension is a possibility as well. In either case if you require parts or assistance contact Jims successor Ken Hofstra at Daisy Gun Works. Great guy to talk to. (520) 305-3114. Good luck.
bangpla View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangpla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 1:21pm

Daisy Model 660 Ricochet pop gun.  

I have a nice little Daisy Model 660 Ricochet pop gun made in Preston, Ontario Canada. 

The Daisy Co. opened in Preston in 1959-60 in the former Buffalo Sled Plant on Eagle St.

In 1968-69 Daisy-Heddon moved their operation to 866 Langs Dr. where they manufactured 
toy rifles, cap guns, holster sets, BB shot, gym sets, fishing rods, and metal farm and construction vehicles. 

They operated in Preston until 1983
Louie LeMaster
Vietnam Veteran 67-68
tatankatoo@aol.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 5:40pm
Fuse, got a pic of the Preston Plant but can't load it here. Send me your email address and I'll forward it to you. Maybe you can upload it here. If you google Daisy, Preston Ontario there's a great historical writeup on the move, the players, etc. John.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 8:05pm
Thanks John. My email is on my profile.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 11:41am
Were some or all of the Preston guns different is some ways than the regular Daisy versions?
I don't think I have ever had one.
Gary
brdrew View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 6:12am
Hi
I have a 1894 from Canada also a Buffalo Bill, the 189 stock 4 is different from the US one as the
stock and forearm as darker in colour and the paint work is more of a grey-blue another point
is they don't have lot numbers ??
The Buffalo Bill also has the darker stock and forearm there are some different points on this one
the loading door is silvered also the top site pusher the front site and the front barrel band.
This also has no lot number.
All our Daisys in the early 60's and 70's  came to the UK I first owned my 1894 back in 1965
still have it.
Sorry I can't upload pictures if you would like to see them email me at daisyimage.drew@googlemail.com
I will be pleased to send them and answer any questions
Brian
B R DREW
bangpla View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangpla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 11:37am

Brian,

Thanks for this good information.

I only have the little pop gun you and I worked so hard in getting added
to my collection a few years ago, and thanks again for your help.

I am selling most of my collection, still have about 75 guns to sell and keep
only about 6-10 guns, my favorite guns if I can decide which ones. 

Louie LeMaster
Vietnam Veteran 67-68
tatankatoo@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic