Forum Description: To help users communicate about Daisy Aiguns
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10555
Printed Date: April-16-2024 at 2:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Models 141, 142 Forearms
Posted By: Airitis
Subject: Models 141, 142 Forearms
Date Posted: September-29-2023 at 6:08pm
Does anyone know if the plastic forearms on the 141 and 142 Defenders had raised checkering or were they smooth all over? Can't seem to find a good look at them on the internet.
Russ

-------------
Air-It-Is

Replies:
Posted By: teerex.otw
Date Posted: September-29-2023 at 6:20pm
Russ,
Shane (Restomod) recently did a couple of videos on the 141 and 142.
They clearly show no checkering on either the stock or forend.

Date Posted: September-29-2023 at 6:48pm
I suspected that but couldn't a clear shot on my phone.   Thanks.
Russ

-------------
Air-It-Is

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: September-29-2023 at 7:54pm
Not the best resolution, but for future reference:

Posted By: zipper28
Date Posted: October-01-2023 at 9:11am

I believe they were all smooth on those 2 models and some of the Sears variations like the Golden Hunter. The model 90 Sporter had the checkering and I'm sure some others did too.

Date Posted: October-01-2023 at 12:30pm
Cobalt, The checkering is on the light stock
Not on the dark stock, in your pictures. It occurs on the bottom of the forearm. Not the sides. Is that correct?

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: October-01-2023 at 3:13pm
That's correct- like a 95 (bottom forearm in the photo).

Date Posted: October-01-2023 at 4:43pm
Thanks once again fellow Daisy nuts! For my next trick, I'm going to turn a checkered forearm into a smooth one. I just happen to have two that match the colors of two Defender butt stocks. Thanks again and wish me luck!
Russ

-------------
Air-It-Is

Posted By: teerex.otw
Date Posted: October-02-2023 at 12:23am
Russ,
Good luck !
(and never underestimate the value of 2,000 grit sandpaper and d.v.d. polish) !

Posted By: Segata
Date Posted: October-02-2023 at 4:39pm
be super careful with polishing plastic, I've had mishaps in the past with radio parts where it can sometimes develop a cloudyness, do a test inside with anything you use first to be safe and good luck

Posted By: stevec
Date Posted: October-02-2023 at 5:18pm
Were the two the same. I know early radio stuff was bakelite, was the early Daisy stuff also.
Stevec

Date Posted: October-02-2023 at 5:41pm
I don't believe the forearms are bakelit. I already have a plan in mind on how to handle the cloudiness.   Thanks 🙂

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: October-03-2023 at 1:11am
These werent Bakealite, not sure what they were tbh as were 80s so well past that era although I get what was meant as I've had to take scratches out of a 1940 Pilot.
Anyway good luck Russ, it should hopefully turn out lovely.

Posted By: Garageshop
Date Posted: October-03-2023 at 6:30pm
I had very good luck by wet sanding with 600, 1000, and 1200 grit followed by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7. My Model 90 shines like new! I had to go down to 400 for the deepest scratches. They are almost all gone now. 

Date Posted: October-04-2023 at 2:38pm
I have found Toothpaste is oddly good for mild scratches and hazing, especially handy if you wear a Casio watch, dab a bit on and wet if needed and buff with a soft cloth, comes up beautifully and smells nice too.

Date Posted: October-04-2023 at 3:27pm
This sounds a bit crude but.....
I filed off the checkering, then used a flexible fingernail file, then fine steel wool. I'm going to finish with auto polishing compound. But even now it's looking nice and uniform. (Casio watch?)
Russ

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: October-04-2023 at 6:19pm
As in wristwatch Russ, I often wear one as an everyday watch and they tend to have a soft acrylic for the glass that scratches real easy, you can use Toothpaste for the mild stuff but then something called Polywatch for the deeper stuff.
Auto compound be careful as that I have definately had problems with on plastic, T-Cut brand left discoloured patches on a Walkman I was taking paint marks off, Autosol chrome polish I've found ok though so if you've got that in the Garage you may find it better, whatever you decide though fingers crossed it comes out fine.

Date Posted: October-05-2023 at 10:57am
Off Topic 
If anyone ever has a half hour or so that's not spoken for, check out one of the many watch repair videos on youtube.

One guy I like's home page: 

WRISTWATCH REVIVAL  https://www.youtube.com/@WristwatchRevival" rel="nofollow -    

There are others, just do a search on youtube for 'watch repair'...

Date Posted: October-05-2023 at 11:32am
Seems we think alike lol, not so much a watcher of Wristwatch Revival but I do sometimes watch Mike on My Retro watches and joined his FB group, not a super collector by any stretch but got a bag full to work on when I've got a clean space set up, favourite piece I have despite being really just a 5 in it's Dads best suit is an Seiko SNKP27 which was imported for my 30th as Seiko decided Brits didnt want recrafts for some daft reason.

Date Posted: October-07-2023 at 11:50pm
How'd it go Russ?

Date Posted: October-08-2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Segata Segata wrote:

How'd it go Russ?

Looking great. It has a soft sheen. Buffed it a little with a Scotch Brite. I'll finish the stock to match.   

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: October-08-2023 at 2:10pm
Nice one

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk