Forum Description: To help users communicate about other Daisy products
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3538
Printed Date: March-19-2024 at 2:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Daisy Models 96 & 95
Posted By: willielumplump
Subject: Daisy Models 96 & 95
Date Posted: May-08-2009 at 6:00pm

I recently obtained 6 Daisy Model 96 BB guns; I noticed many variations in butt stock(MonteCarlo vs Straight Comb)& forearm(wood vs plastic) rear sights(notched elevator vs screwdriver adj) and front sights(plastic ramp vs metal blade, with no asignment of alpha designations to differentiate between them.

I also have 4 Daisy Model 95's, and the variations are w/o safety (M95) and w/safety (M95B), however there are differences with sights, both front and rear, metal blade and plastic ramp on front sight; notched ramp elevator and screw adj  on rear sights, with no alpha designator to differntiate.  I mention the above and below to see if anyone else experiences difficulties in obtaining spare parts for replacements; it's sort of nightmarish at times.

My experience with these models as with most Daisy models is that they are quite accurate; I have not yet cranked off any rounds in excess of 35 feet, nor any outdoors but with the warmer weather I will be seeking target-safe areas for myself and 8 grandchildren (girls and boys).

There are differences in the shot tubes also; some measure 11-3/4" long, with the "button" either 1-3/4" or 2-3/4" from the top.

-------------
Semper Fi

Replies:
Posted By: DaisyBBgunner
Date Posted: May-09-2009 at 10:47am
You can learn the date each was manufactured (Month/Year and sometimes the date) from the Reg. No. stamped on the frame or Lot No. stamped on the right side of the barrel.  Either post them here or send them to my email address below.

-------------
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Date Posted: May-09-2009 at 6:23pm
Hi  daisybbgunner, thank you for the input on dateing these BB guns; I have recently acquired about 32 Daisy BB rifles through the auction route and am learning in the process, and how!  I am going through the process of teaching my grandchildren how to shoot safely (20 years a Marine) and I include the girls, although that can be a challenge to get 'em away from the computers.  My ulterior motive is to spend quality time with them so that they will have  memories of  learning how to shoot with GrandPa.  They are mostly urban or small city kids and do not get the opportunity  to shoot (Massachusetts is tough).

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: May-10-2009 at 6:04am
Count yourself as fortunate.  My grandkids live on the east coast, and one set of parents say, "No Guns!"  Argh.

-------------
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:57am

The purpose of my description of the different styles of rifles within a specific model category was to see if other Daisy fans had similiar discoveries within the Model 95 and 96 species, and if there are other models that have similiar repair parts problems. 

If you order a spare part for a Model 95 or 96, you have to be very specific, and for example, measure the shot tubes total length and the distance from the tip to the closing "button" or tab. 

It is also amazing to me to observe the different butt stock and forearm configurations, some of which provide for adapting a sling and some don't; also some have pre-drilled holes for mounting a scope and some do not.

It would appear that the design engineers didn't bother promulgating ECN'S (equipment change notices) for the production lines, OR the productions line folks just put on any part available at the time.  I guess that would ensure that the daily production goals would be met!

The problem with that methodology is safety concerns and if the production line was/is free to substitute parts as the guns moved down the assembly line there would be no way to figure what went wrong out in the "field."

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: May-21-2009 at 4:35pm

Update on one of my Daisy Model 96's; after a prolonged exchange of emails, and receiving an assortment of front sights, I finally had to send the rifle off to the repair shop to hopefully have a front sight affixed thereto.

However, I was having a lot of fun practicing "Instinctive shooting" techniques with it and was really in a quandrey about "Did I really want to get the thing repaired?"  It is definately a extraordinarily hard hitting shooter compared to many others; the stock was in terrible condition when I received it and after sanding it down, restaining it a golden oak and applying linseed oil it just SPARKLES with new life.

I know there are purists out there that would shake their heads in disapproval at "restoring" an old artifact, but honestly, that poor thing just cried out to me for some help (read "restoration").  It is such a hard shooting son-of-a-gun  that I couldn't resist responding to the plea in it's eye.  There is more in an eye than a BB!Ouch

I will let you know when I get this rifle back from the repair center and report the results of its action.  Sending it off was the only way I was ever going to get that sight restored.

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: August-11-2009 at 4:35pm
I got that rifle back from the repair shop and it is really performing quite well, still a hard hitter and more accurate than the instinctive shooting bit, although it was fun shooting it without the front sight.  If it falls off I really won't mind (it had to be affixed to the barrel with epoxy) because it did sharpen up my marksmanship skills.

-------------
Semper Fi

Posted By: n1ghtstr1k3
Date Posted: August-29-2009 at 2:08pm
I have a Model 95 that was my grandfather's and am trying to figure out what year it is.

The Lot No. is M712025.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Date Posted: September-01-2009 at 2:46pm
You might try mailto:DaisyBBgunner@aol.com - DaisyBBgunner@aol.com for your answer.

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: September-02-2009 at 11:37am
1977 is the year.

I have a Model 95 that was my grandfather's and am trying to figure out what year it is.

The Lot No. is M712025.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

-------------
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Posted By: n1ghtstr1k3
Date Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:07pm
Thank you!

Posted By: Model_95
Date Posted: February-16-2010 at 5:19pm
Hello! I have a model 95 that I'd also like to know the date of. But may I ask your source for these dates?

My Lot No. is H311005

This was my gun as a kid from my grandfather that was already pretty used and beat up back then. Now its in really sad shape and needs some work, but mechanically still shoots great! Except for the broken metal lever. It just makes it harder to cock.

Thanks!

Date Posted: February-17-2010 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Model_95 Model_95 wrote:

Hello! I have a model 95 that I'd also like to know the date of. But may I ask your source for these dates?

My Lot No. is H311005

This was my gun as a kid from my grandfather that was already pretty used and beat up back then. Now its in really sad shape and needs some work, but mechanically still shoots great! Except for the broken metal lever. It just makes it harder to cock.

Thanks!
I use "Daisy Gun Register and Lot Numbers" by Dave Albert and Gary Garber, however it is difficult for me to really grasp the specifics of how the regeister and lot numbers are used.  I do know that the H usually refers to the month of August; the 3 would be the last digit of the year it was manufactured and I am gussing that it was the 11,0005th gun of that model made in that year.

I have no idea of the prefix that goes with the 3,  but the Model 95's were made from 1962-76.

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: February-17-2010 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by willielumplump willielumplump wrote:

I use "Daisy Gun Register and Lot Numbers" by Dave Albert and Gary Garber, however it is difficult for me to really grasp the specifics of how the resister and lot numbers are used.  I do know that the H usually refers to the month of August; the 3 would be the last digit of the year it was manufactured and I am gussing that it was the 11,0005 gun of that model made in that year.

Thanks Willie! So your saying its an 8/73 gun?

Here it is, I need to figure out how to get that dent out of the top of the barrel. I should have all the parts soon to restore it.

Any idea what a good choice of paint would be?

Date Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by willielumplump willielumplump wrote:

I use "Daisy Gun Register and Lot Numbers" by Dave Albert and Gary Garber, however it is difficult for me to really grasp the specifics of how the resister and lot numbers are used.  I do know that the H usually refers to the month of August; the 3 would be the last digit of the year it was manufactured and I am gussing that it was the 11,0005 gun of that model made in that year.

Thanks Willie! So your saying its an 8/73 gun?

Here it is, I need to figure out how to get that dent out of the top of the barrel. I should have all the parts soon to restore it.

Any idea what a good choice of paint would be?

I can not download the photo, never seem to have luck with that function, but some folks firmly attach a socket as in socket wrench that firmly fits in the barrel and push it in and out and that might push out the dent, however you would have to make sure that the socket device was very firmly attached to ensure that it doesn't remain stuck in the barrel.

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: February-17-2010 at 3:46pm
Its odd, you should just be able to see the photo.

The socket is a very good idea, thanks! Any idea what size and brand? WinkLOL (just kidding of course)

My stock has like a 3/8" hole straight through it, where the wood screws originally went through each side. I want thinking of running a bolt straight through. Any other ideas?

Date Posted: February-17-2010 at 4:46pm
Hi Model 95:  Since your gun has a family history I can understand why you would want to restore it; sometimes painting a gun takes away its history.  I have two Model 95's that are complete but just plop BB's, they do not shoot well at all, if at all; they both have wood stocks and plastic forearms; you could obtain needed parts from one of them and if you want to buy one for $30 plus$10 f/shipping, msg me at mailto:Clfmustang@aol.com - Clfmustang@aol.com and we can set something up.

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: February-18-2010 at 2:29am
Willie, we are already speaking through email... This is Ben. lol.

Date Posted: February-18-2010 at 10:12am

Willie, we are already speaking through email... This is Ben. lol.
LOL, Hi Ben; didn't recognize your call sign!

-------------
Semper Fi

Date Posted: March-23-2010 at 7:30pm
I finally figured out how to see the photos; how are you doing with your restoration project?
Did you receive the notched elevating blade for the rear sight?

-------------
Semper Fi

Posted By: Aprilseahorse
Date Posted: July-14-2010 at 6:30pm
My first gun was a Model 96. I still have it and is still shoots well after 1,000s of shots. I just got a 95 in the box. It looks good with all of the stickers still on it but it only shoots about 3 feet. It just just dos not look as good as the 96. Good luck on getting info. I would like the same info on my 95.   

-------------
Aprilseahorse

Date Posted: July-15-2010 at 11:22am
Hi:  The Model 95's were made from 1962 to 1976, and they are really ruggard, very good field guns.  You probably need a new seal kit.

-------------
Semper Fi

Posted By: yongsoja
Date Posted: November-25-2012 at 9:03pm
Can anyone recommend where I can get a replacement seal / plunger for my Daisy Model 96?

Posted By: 39hunter
Date Posted: November-26-2012 at 12:48am
I can e-mail you the list of qualified gunsmiths I got from Daisy Customer Service or you can contact them at http://www.daisy.com/contactus" rel="nofollow - www.daisy.com/contactus and request the information.

Date Posted: December-03-2012 at 2:52pm
For seals of any kind, try mailto:baker19711@yahoo.com" rel="nofollow - baker19711@yahoo.com , Dennis Baker, or call him at 937-935-4887 in          Mt Victory, OH; he is my air gunsmith and has always been fair, and reliable.

-------------
Semper Fi

Posted By: deingy
Date Posted: April-07-2015 at 11:47am
I've a 96 that has been without a front sight for at least 20 yrs. Electrical tape has kept it from bleeding BBs and I used the snap shot method. I'm ex-AF so I'm not expected to hit anything anyway. Can one order a front sight and it will fit or did they deviate things during production so bad a ordered part won't fit? Who still has a sight that can be ordered.

Posted By: AlM
Date Posted: December-04-2018 at 6:01pm
I've been trying to locate a replacement front plastic sight as well I've been using a synthetic cork bored out so not to spill the bb's out. Since I was a kid. Reflex shooting only on this one. I emailed daisy as they would be the best choice but all I could get in response was send them the warentee and receipt of purchase. So i put looking for replacement parts on hold for a bit. Now I'm back looking again.

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: December-04-2018 at 6:22pm
Here's a link to JG Airguns..... D 96 parts. John has one for $7. Shipping will probably be near the same. how bad do you want it? 
https://www.jgairguns.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=78_1098

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: December-04-2018 at 7:10pm
IIRC JG has a $15 minimum order, not including shipping.

Date Posted: December-05-2018 at 5:50pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: December-05-2018 at 11:12pm
Fuse, do you still have any 880 parts and pieces for sale? I need the following 880 parts: 

2 buttstocks. I don't know how much it matters but they need to fit the metal receivers that have the stock screw in the left hand receiver side.

A pair of forearms, they "should be" the type that has the slots that mate to the tabs welded to the pump frame and have no diamonds, but I can work w/either type (I have both styles of pump frames).

Rear sight, the screwed on type.

2 bolt assemblies (bolt and cocking handle) for the older style "clamped barrel" type valve body.

2 rifled barrels to fit the older valve bodies that use the clamp.

Abutment/compression tube seal assembly like shown below. Early style like used in most brass compression tube equipped guns. I need the rubber seal, the plastic ring, the spring and the metal 'cap'.

You can email me at mailto:cobalt327@hotmail.com" rel="nofollow - cobalt327@hotmail.com if you have anything along those lines.

Thanks, Mark

Date Posted: December-08-2018 at 6:27pm
I've got some of the stuff you're after. I think I have the forearms, The screw on rear sights, at least one bolt assembly, I have an 880 rifled barrel.....not sure it's the one you want, and at least one old style compression seal assembly with a new old stock rubber check seal. Let me dig around a bit. I'll get back to you. BTW what does the rifled barrel you're looking for look like?

-------------

Date Posted: December-08-2018 at 11:09pm
Will email you a photo of the barrel. And thanks.

Mark

Date Posted: December-09-2018 at 2:56pm
Pics and list of stuff sent to you buddy.

-------------

Posted By: saphira2
Date Posted: January-28-2019 at 7:02am
hi DaisyBBgunner, i have a 95B, with the lot no. of A909308 from what i can read, sais the pat is 3,888,229
wanted to get info on how to totaly dismatle it so i can clean it properly, cus it is not shooting straight at all, the bb's are going everywhere

Date Posted: January-28-2019 at 8:50am
DaisyBBgunner hasn't been on the forum for quite some time; maybe I and others here can help.

Your 95B's date is Feb. 1979. The patent number is for the changes made to the "B" type Daisys, i.e. sliding loading port door, non removable shot tube w/built-in abutment, etc.

Poor accuracy can be caused by many things. Was the gun accurate, then the accuracy fell off? If yes, was it after oiling the shot tube? A too-oily shot tube can kill accuracy. I would recommend cleaning the shot tube using alcohol on patches to get rid of any excess oil followed by dry patches until they come out spotless. As long as you intend to shoot the gun, re oiling the shot tube is not necessary. Oil will reach the barrel from the compression chamber when the gun is shot so adding more oil isn't needed. Before storage run an oily patch through the shot tube.

Check the crown visually and using a cotton swab to see if there's any burrs. Removing the front sight/barrel plug will make checking the crown easier but isn't an absolute necessity. Re crowning the shot tube WILL require the sight to be removed.

Hopefully others here will chime in w/suggestions. Good luck!

Posted By: Airitis
Date Posted: January-28-2019 at 9:41am
Here is a way to test accuracy and a guess as to weather the shot tube may be bent or otherwise deformed. First follow the shot tube cleaning that Cobalt suggested.

Using a bench rest, fire off 3-5 rounds at 1 yard from a paper target. Move the target to 2 yards and repeat. Then 4 yards, 5 yards etc. out to 10 yards. If the BBs get increasingly wide in pattern or start missing the paper, the gun has limited accuracy or perhaps weak power. Weak power will show up as the BBs dropping lower on target. If the pattern is reasonably tight, the problem may be with off-hand shooting.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Posted By: bjschmidt
Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:05am
Might you have any more of the old-syle compression seal assemblies that you were looking for?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk