Forum Description: To help users communicate about Daisy Aiguns
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7497
Printed Date: October-23-2017 at 10:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Model 74 Semi Auto
Posted By: FREEBIRD
Subject: Model 74 Semi Auto
Date Posted: December-27-2016 at 3:35pm
This little gun gets good reviews for accuracy, quietness shot count etc. I like the looks of a vintage type rifle as well. Any of you guys using one of these, would sue make a nice bulk fill candidate as well.

Thanks

Replies:
Date Posted: December-27-2016 at 8:21pm
It is in fact a great Daisy gun. Went out shopping and found one at Wally for $39. it's semi auto with a 15 shot mag, no pumping, cocking, breaking barrels. Just drop in a 12 grm cart and you get a lot of shots, I would say a 100 consistent power. More accurate than any Co2 pistol I have had, and rips up cans out to 60 ft. no problem. I like the old school look (non tactical), and would easily be customized with paint. I have a lot of C02 guns, some leak when installing a cart, this one is dead silent holds air great. Good overall quality feel for a low price gun. I'm surprised you don't hear more on these, if you are looking for a good little semi for the basement or yard this is it, it's also nice an quiet. I like it.

photo d74_zpsw4s7qcxd.jpg

Posted By: Boley
Date Posted: December-27-2016 at 9:05pm
I agree,and would add that the 74 is ideal for use with the "Rocket Shot" can launcher. A Black Sheep slip on recoil pad makes it adult sized easily and cheaply.

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: December-29-2016 at 2:19pm
I have seen this gun before and liked it's looks. $39 is cheap as dirt for a Co2 gun that shoots well. How is the trigger pull? Most cheaper Co2 guns have to have the hammer "cocked" via the trigger pull. I suppose that's on purpose for safety issues. 

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Date Posted: December-30-2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by the fuse the fuse wrote:

I have seen this gun before and liked it's looks. $39 is cheap as dirt for a Co2 gun that shoots well. How is the trigger pull? Most cheaper Co2 guns have to have the hammer "cocked" via the trigger pull. I suppose that's on purpose for safety issues. 

The trigger is somewhat clunky, you get used of it fast. It's basically a fun factor gun you have a hard time putting down. It is really reliable, I have put a lot of shots on it without fail. It's good for up to 200 shots on a cart. I've read some modding about putting a little weight on the hammer to bring up the FPS but it's pretty good as is. I'm thinking on a faux wood paint scheme on mine, if you like plinking with the red ryder you will love this one. Daisy did this one right, it's and affordable co2 rifle, semi auto, lots of shots and reliableSmile

Date Posted: December-30-2016 at 6:56pm
Yeah FPS can be over rated. I do have a chroney.....but use it to know that my guns are shooting as they should and to be sure any repairs I did, actually worked. I may try that little plinker. I wish they made one in .22. I prefer that caliber pellet gun. 

-------------

Date Posted: December-30-2016 at 7:28pm
I use the Crossman 1077 on a bulk paintball co2 tank, they have 12 round clips in .177 cal, do about 700FPS and only cost $69. You spend more time loading clips than shooting, I have 5 clips and that's slinging a lot of lead quick, they are also very nice. The little daisy kinda outshines this one in the loading category, it has 200 round storage in the receiver, you just tilt it back and forth few times and the 16 round mag is re-loaded, only a few seconds downtime for 200 rounds shooting. I ripped this can up at 30 ft. on about 6 mags.I don't think there are a lot of semi auto .22 pellet rifles out there unless you go with the really expensive electric PCP's

photo CAN_zpsw97m6cle.jpg

Date Posted: December-31-2016 at 2:14pm
That bottom of the can is barely hanging in there. A Cr 600 can easily be modded into a carbine....I say easily. It can be and has been done. I'm good with my little 180. Not Semi auto but cooling slows down semi autos pretty quick. I love my Daisy 822 and 922 when I'm up for a bit of pumping.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2016 at 7:08pm
This little gun is spitting out such a small amount of Co2 it actually doesn't  slow it down that much, I do a couple of mags (32 shots) and let it set for 5 mins and it's ready to go full power.LOL

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: January-01-2017 at 5:25am
The way the Daisy 74 loads BBs would make the gun a lot more fun than loading pellets individually, which is the biggest downer about the CO2 powered QB78 I just got. They make a repeater conversion but it costs more than I paid for the whole gun!

Gonna get a 74, though. Sounds like too much fun to miss out on... Thumbs Up

BTW, is there a way to get notified when new replies are made to a thread?

Date Posted: January-01-2017 at 12:34pm
For basement or yard plinking it's hard to beat, I have a QB rifle and they are nice and have their place, even the clip fed repeaters can't keep up with the daisy, you have to stop and load clips. Put 200 rounds in the Daisy 74 and start shooting, add that to the list: no pumping, cocking, breaking barrels,changing clips just start shooting. I'm sure nice mods will come to this gun once people start experimenting. I'm thinking a clip extension to the bb chamber for an extra 400 rounds, and hooking up a paintball tethered tankBig smile

Date Posted: January-01-2017 at 3:54pm
Ok I'm sold. Or rather I just bought A Daisy 74. Found it on Amazon for $39 free shipping. It'll show up on my doorstep in 2 days. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-01-2017 at 5:00pm
You better have ordered a few thousand bb's as wellSmile

A few other tips for new 74 users:

You don't have to tighten the heck out of the co2 cart, I see complaints on breaking the plastic threaded rod that tightens the cylinder, just snug it till it seals, it work fine I've put 20 carts through mine with no failures, you can't be ham fisted with this part.

Take it easy with the co2 cover, I just align the top clips first and snap it in, don hit it tap it etc. it works fine and does the job.

You don't have to shake the thing  violently to load the mag. I hold the gun upside down in front of me so I can see the mag and rock it back and forth until it fills up.

I know it's hard to resist, but let it warm up for 5 or so minutes every 30 shots, keeps the power consistent.

I cleaned the barrel on mine after 500 shots, lots of black residue was in it.

It's not a 40 year old Crosman all metal and wood Co2 gun. it's all plastic, but works very well for what it is intended for and is a lot of fun.

Date Posted: January-02-2017 at 3:29pm
Got to say that I'm not expecting much for $39.....except that it's fun. Does it have an adjustable rear sight? Or are we going with "Kentucky windage"?

-------------

Date Posted: January-02-2017 at 4:09pm
The rear sight does have a screw for windage. Like any bb gun it will spit a flyer once in a while, but the sights work pretty good. I've gotten pretty good instinct shooting the thing with 3 round bursts at the cans.

Date Posted: January-02-2017 at 5:01pm
That's good news. I have bought a few newer Co2 bb guns that had no adjustment for windage and regreted it. Them Umarex lugers were one. I returned one because it shot 3" left at 15 feet. The next was just as bad. I know it's just a BB gun but for near $100 I expect better than that. 
BTW I did buy 5000 BB's with the 74. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: January-02-2017 at 8:50pm
I know what you mean, I have some old crosman pistols and they have the nice metal adjustable rear sights you can dial in with, I have a 454 BB Matic that is better than some of the new Umarex stuff I sold off. I have really been liking the semi auto Co2 stuff, seems you get a lot more practice per shooting session. I think a Crosman Powermatic 500 is next on the list

Date Posted: January-03-2017 at 8:34pm
You may want to consider a Daisy made Winchester M14. It is a semi auto with a reversable rotary clip that holds 8 shots on both ends. Got a rifled barrel that shoots both BB's and pellets. The clip is magnetic to hold onto the BB's as you load them. Takes two Co2 carts. Spittin image of the M14 rifle so it's a pretty big gun. I like that though. I put an original M14 web sling on one of mine. Nice gun to shoot and very accurate with BB's or pellets. I chronyed mine and they both do just over 600 fps with Cr premiers. The trigger pull is not bad so it must be assisted some how. It's mostly plastic and $100 from Daisy. That's interesting because I think they had it on sale for $60 a few months ago. You can still get one from Airgun Depot for $80. I picked one up for, I think $80 a couple years ago from Daisy and another privately. The two I have were the early ones made in Japan. Of course they are now made in China. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2017 at 3:51pm
That one is on my list as well I think PA has em for $69. 2 Co2's is good, these pellet shooters eat them up. I have the Crosman 1077 on a bottle of Co2 and it stays nice and consistent and for $4 I get 2000 shots. I did the barrel spacer mod on the little Daisy 74, just popped off the front sight and inserted a paper roll to lessen the barrel movement when it cycles, no more excessive flyers.Smile

Date Posted: January-04-2017 at 5:25pm
That's a good idea. Thanks. Should arrive tomorrow! I won't get to shoot it much though. I live in a small apt up in the north country. Will have to wait till warmer weather for a real tryout. Unhappy
BTW PA's price is $79 as well now. Daisy raised their price for a reason. Maybe they are selling more of them. Should I have bought a few when they were $60? I still remember buying 5 Arkansas Can Opener commemorative rifles when Daisy had them on sale for $40. Looking back, I should have bought ten! I've already sold 3 of them for $100-125.

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2017 at 4:15pm
Warmer is better for these Co2 guns for sure, the 74 drops to the power of a 179 when it's cold, but then again I have an old Daisy 179 pistol (no safety) that shoots really hard, probably over 200FPS. I've made 40 ft. shots on cans with the thing. The little 179 is a great indoor, quiet shooter alsoSmile

Date Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:43pm
I like the look of the 179 but I am a big fan of the Cr/Hahn peacemakers. They feel like a gun. For indoor pistol shooting I go with the Daisy targeteer. Talk about a weak shooter. But I really like to hear that bell target ring. Cocking the targeteer is ten times louder than shooting it. :) 

-------------

Date Posted: January-08-2017 at 9:20pm
OK I got the 74 a couple days ago. I shot it into a box in my man cave. I could not resist, but it's 20 degrees up here now and I live in a small apt. The trigger pull is way less than other Co2 semi autos but it shoots way slower as well. Makes sense. That's cool with me. More shots per cart. The front end is alot like an 880 of 1990. No fiber optics and a fully adjustable rear sight.....just like the one on an 880. It is a gun made for a 12 year old child....like a Red Ryder was. Lots of plastic and a short trigger pull.  Would be a very good trainer for a son or daughter. That said, I like it. I cant wait till spring to shoot it for real. I have hopes for accuracy due to it's low fps. BB guns dont get more accurate as the fps climbs. Hence the 499's max of 240 fps. Thanx for turning me onto the 74. I'll let you know what happens in a couple months. SmileCry

-------------

Date Posted: January-09-2017 at 4:38pm
One thing I noticed as well on this one as the temp climbs, it start shooting harder for sure, at 75°F mine seems to hit as hard as some of my older model 25's at around 60°F things slow down dramatically. It'll give off a little puff of vapor when it's at optimal temp. Mine is still going strong after 4000 shots. I peeked inside it and the set-up is pretty strange, there is a spring on the barrel and I think the barrel actually cycles the valve?

Date Posted: January-09-2017 at 6:05pm
A la D 1200 pistol?? That is how the pistol works. The barrel acts as the hammer! It's real simple inside a D 1200 and that is a very accurate BB pistol. You wouldn't think it considering the barrel is moving around in there but it is. Sounds like they may have reprieved that design for the 74 rifle. Now you have piqued my curiosity. I'm going to have to open up mine and see what's what. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-09-2017 at 8:42pm
Be careful. it looked like a lot of teeny weeny pieces in there. Between my Daisy 74 and Crosman 1077, these guns drink pellets and bb's. You won't have an unshot, blasted aluminum can in the house! I haven't pumped up a pneumatic in a couple of weeks since I had these. I put the Daisy in a warmer room in the house before I shoot it and it's been shooting pretty flat at 35ft. These guns will make you a little lazySmile

photo DAISCROS_zps8wm1yxjw.jpg

Date Posted: January-10-2017 at 7:43pm
Did anythig go "sproing" when you opened up the 74? If no surprises await me, I'll have a look anyway.
A friend tells me that Cr is coming out with a PCP version of the 1077. Benjamin Wildcat. I have not gone over to PCP yet. Cant see all that pumping. Air tanks and other related stuff seem like a big investment in a totally different and new side of airguns. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-11-2017 at 2:51pm
I have one coming. Looking forward to it.

Date Posted: January-11-2017 at 5:22pm
Nothing popped out, just be careful. I seen that Wildfire, I have a Discovery .177 and it is very accurate, pumping is a little work, I just never shoot it down below 1000psi. I think that gun will bulk fill with C02 as well which is really easy with the paint ball bottle and tether. The little Daisy is so efficient with C02 it doesn't really matter, but eventually I would like to hook that up to a bottle as well. PCP is a nice option and the prices are starting to come down, they're a lot of fun.

Date Posted: January-11-2017 at 5:23pm
Have a lot of cans/targets and a few thousand bb's, you'll be doing a lot of shootingLOL

Date Posted: January-11-2017 at 8:11pm
I already have a tank and tether. Needed it to fill a Chinese AK lookalike that is a bulk fill Co2. The QB-1. Nice solid little carbine. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-11-2017 at 9:07pm
Those look nice. I need to find a lower grade pellet to shoot in the 1077, I can go through 500 shots before I know it with that one. Another nice thing about the Daisy is, I reclaim bb's and re-shoot them, makes for really cheap shooting. Not sure if there will be parts available for this gun if needed at that price point, but then again I just ordered a couple of parts for an old Daisy 105 and they had them no problem. Nice little touch Daisy has with their service is the send you a diagram and an old school order form if you need it, that's classicStar

Date Posted: January-12-2017 at 7:31pm
They don't get much cheaper than Daisy pellets off PA 4 for the price of three. I am sad to see that they don't offer Daisy .22 wad cutters anymore. Does anyone know if Daisy still makes them? They were on the low end of quality but still pretty accurate for 20 yard plinking fun and very good value. Very soft but hardly any were malformed. Last time I bought them from PA they were $3 a can so 4 cans (1000) for $9. They still offer the pointed pellets but those are nowhere near as accurate, in my guns. Guess I'll try Gamo Match Wadcutters. Not bad at $4 a can......1000 for $12. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-13-2017 at 4:06pm
The 74 arrived today. I have to agree w/everyone- lots of fun! Mine chronos around 250-260 fps, so on par w/a new Daisy Red Ryder. It's reasonably accurate, too. I like that the rear sight is adjustable for windage.

Loading the BB mag from the reservoir isn't going too well for me. How do ya'll do it? I've been turning it upside down, hold it about level and jiggling it, but getting it to fill all the way can take some doing.

Question for those who know co2 and PCP guns- is the trigger pull/feel of the Wildfire going to be something like the 74?

Date Posted: January-13-2017 at 7:46pm
Cobalt,

I don't completely fill up the reservoir tight, leave a little empty space. I turn the gun upside down about eye level and tilt it back and forth, similar to paddling a kayak takes a few motions and the mag is full. The trigger on the Wildfire is similar to my 1077's, it uses the same mag it's basically a double action revolver. The triggers on these guns take some getting used to.

Date Posted: January-13-2017 at 10:02pm
In most cheap Co2 semi auto shooters, you are basically cocking the gun with your trigger pull. Definitely not a target competition situation......but a fun plinking situation. Some have a ridiculously hard trigger pull. A la the Daisy 15X pistol...... 12lb pull? The 74 is on the low end of that. Freebird is right. The mag fills easier if there is a lot of room in the resivior for BB's to jostle about as they pass over the little round loading port in there. It's all about gravity and opportunity. In other words, if the resivior is really full, the BB's actually get in each other's way and block the little round port. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:28pm
OK I took out the 74 and shot it over a chroney today. It's about 45 out and very sunny. I warmed the gun up over a radiator for a couple minutes. I took a 5 shot string and it shot a low of 242 to a high of 249 fps. I waited about a half a minute between shots. Because the gun is all black it stayed warm in the sunshine. The last shot came in at 247. Between Cobalt and me, I'd say that's about what to expect. Should get over 100 good shots out of a Co2 cart. No chance to really test for accuracy up here till it gets warmer. I have no opportunity to shoot indoors here. Not concerned about the gun. It's a perfect indoor shooter.....slow and quiet. I only have about 15' of shooting space and every BB gun should do well at that. I want to see what this does at 10 meters. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-16-2017 at 4:46pm
I shoot mine indoors at about 35ft. it will do a consistent 2.5 in circle. 249 fps is not bad for this little gun, mine seems to have slowed down since it got cooler here, it was cleanly penetrating cans with a good exit hole, it no longer does that. I think the key to making it more accurate is stabilizing the barrel in the shroud, mine is still moving around a little too much. I took it out in my yard and could  hit cans at 65ft about 7 out of 10 times. One nice thing, they have a one year warranty. you could shoot a lot of bb's in a year.Smile   UPDATE: I warmed the gun up to about 78°F and it will shoot through the bottom of a can at 35ft., I'm sure this gun will get faster in the summer. This is about on par with my older model 25's I don't have a crony, but when it's warm it's doing pretty good for a bb gun.

photo CANPEN_zpscmttkseu.jpg

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 4:45am
FWIW it's been unseasonably warm here in north GA, mid-70s on the day I chrono'ed mine.
Something is up w/mine, though. The last co2 powerlet I changed to is giving low velocities, and they're also very scattered- between 150 and none over 200 fps. Has me worried. I use Pellgun oil on the tips of the powerlets so don't know what is going on. I'll put in a fresh one and clean the barrel and see what that does. Any other ideas?

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:58am
I noticed sometimes the co2 does not get pierced as much as others, I backed mine a 1/2 turn and re snugged it and it seemed to make a bigger hole. The last powerful shot I had was from taking the co2 from a warmer spot before I installed it. It's going through cans now. You also may want to back off to every other co2 on the pelgunoil, Daisy states no oiling is needed.

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 7:55am
Will do- thanks!

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:26pm
Took it apart for a good cleaning. I removed the barrel and the co2 cradle from the valve and opened it up. No plastic so I used carb cleaner then blew it out w/air. Nothing obvious was found but hopefully it'll be back to its former glory, I'll probably try it out tomorrow. Too bad I know nothing about how to step up the power, this would have been a good time to replace springs, etc. Oh well- if it's still not shooting right I'll have it back apart again. Anyone know what I could do to pick up 30-40 fps?

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 5:55pm
I'm happy with a steady 250 fps for this little plinker. More shots per cart. Smile Can't wait to see how accurate it is, stock. It's interesting that the piercing seal looks to be nothing more than a urethane oring in mine. Makes resealing that real easy if the need arises. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 7:45pm
I'll be happy... well, happy enough... if I see even 250 fps again. But considering it gets 200+ shots per cylinder, I could live w/less shots and a little more power. All my backyard targets except for the 10M are at 20-25 yards which is about right for me and a BB gun shooting at least 300 fps. At that range the 74 can hit but it's more like shooting a mortar than a gun.

Anyway If it comes back to life I'll post a 10 shot string w/a fresh cartridge and give it the same 1/2 min. rest between shots to see what the MV and ES is now. Before all this happened, I saw anywhere from 235 to 260 but that might have been due to not waiting for it to warm up some between shots.

Date Posted: January-17-2017 at 8:32pm
I'm happy with mine as well, I was denting cans at 65 ft. so it's good for targets. That co2 gets cold and the gas cannot turn back to liquid and it slows down. I put mine in a room with the door closed and we have the heat on, I checked the temp of the gun and it was about 76°F it would penetrate the bottom of cans at 35 ft and the little puff of vapor would come out, so it was operating pretty good. When the gun is warm mine will shoot a flat trajectory at 65ft. I have seen a few you tubes where someone said they added weight to the hammer and got 300FPS out of it, but no vid of the disassembly. Honestly if it does 250 its great for a bb gun with that high of a shot count, I am going to focus on the accuracy of it, I think a lot can be done.Smile

Date Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:14am
The barrel acts as the trip for the valve unless I'm mistaken. I'll try a small amount of preload on the barrel "recoil" spring and see what that'll get me. FWIW, not looking to shoot the moon but an honest 300 fps should be doable. And even if that cut the shot count in half, I can live w/it.

Date Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:52pm

Nothing doing- still around 200 fps w/the occasional shot a bit higher. Highest I saw today was 213 fps. Temps are relatively equal between days, around 70 F here. I got to thinking, and the only thing that's different is the co2 cartridges I'm using. The MV that I recorded first that were in to 250 fps range was made using the supplied Daisy-brand co2 (2 were supplied w/the gun along w/BBs). And if I'm remembering things correctly, the velocity drop started when I switched to Crosman co2 that I bought at Walmart a month or so ago. I have a Daisy carto left, but if I understand things right the pressure of a co2 cartridge is the same as long as it's co2 and contained in a pressure tight vessel. In other words, I don't think a carto could be "under pressurized", although it might be under filled, weight-wise. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Date Posted: January-18-2017 at 6:48pm
C02 self regulates, it will never go above 900 psi, unless you get it too hot. I think the fps gain would be in the spring pre-load, let us know if you decide to do it.

Date Posted: January-18-2017 at 7:54pm
Sounds like it's starved for gas. Maybe the oil you added fouled a filter in there. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2017 at 10:54pm
No filter is used in this gun. Even after I used Pellgun oil on the tips of 2 cartos there was only a very scant amount of oil inside the valve. I cleaned it entirely before I retested it the last time. I didn't leave it dry, but close to it and it didn't help, velocity was still around 200 fps.  Everything moves freely and nothing is bent or broken, etc.

I added 1/2" preload to the recoil spring (see photo below), tomorrow I'll see what this does to the velocity. If the preload doesn't help, the next thing I'll try is a weaker return spring in the valve. I might end up wanting to balance them both, because just adding preload to the recoil spring increases the trigger pull. But even w/the 1/2" preload, the pull weight's not much more than it was originally.

The balance on this gun is pretty good- it balances right on the loading door. But it's so light that it hinders accuracy when I'm shooting offhand. So I added lead wheel weights to the empty spaces in the forearm, it holds 9 ounces w/room to spare. I like a little more forward weight so I added an additional 6.5 ounces to the stock. Feels nicer to me now. ETA- Added another 2 oz. to the stock.

The accuracy is excellent on this gun, and I wasn't really expecting it to be. But it shoots to point of aim, only the elevation varies depending on the velocity. Once it's sorted out this will be a fine gun for backyard use.

Date Posted: January-19-2017 at 3:38pm
I just finished a quick velocity check, I saw a high of 281 fps after a long idle period then it dropped to 250-ish after 8 quick shots in a row (basically normal behavior). So temps notwithstanding I 'm encouraged- I have to believe the preload added some MV. There was no discernible change in accuracy with the increased MV.

The temperature is 73° F here today which is warmer than yesterday. So to remove ambient temp from being a factor, I'm going to retest it both with and without preload- back to back. It'll take longer for the gun to warm back up after dumping a carto than it will to remove the preload spacer (5 min. tops), so I'll test an hour apart to be sure metal parts of the gun have stabilized.

I'm a little surprised there seems to be nothing about mods to the Model 74 anywhere on the 'net. Before I'm done I will try less spring pressure for the spring inside the valve. I will put the gun back to stock to see what the results are with just the valve spring being softer.

Date Posted: January-19-2017 at 5:47pm
Great job getting the fps up there with the preload. Just curious about that sudden loss of power. Did you do any kind of barrel spacer to improve accuracy. If it's binding, that might cause a loss of power, considering the barrel also acts as the "hammer" on this gun. 

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2017 at 7:16pm
Same here, that's good work/info. I'd settle for 50-100 fps to get it consistently in the 300 range. Some of these low end cost co2 guns have astonishing FPS performance, the $25 Daisy 415 pistol is up around 500 fps! I picked up a $59 all metal crosman and it will penetrate steel pellet tins at 35 ft, that's really hauling the mail for a bb gun. I was also surprised how little info is out on this great little gun, I really like it.

Date Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:29pm
@the fuse- I'm also still wondering what was the cause for the MV drop. I found nothing out of the ordinary when I disassembled it. I don't know if the difference in temps is the cause but that would seem to be the best guess at this stage. And in all honesty I don't remember what the gun temp was when I first shot it for velocity. I haven't done anything to try to improve accuracy, so no chance that's causing any binding- but that's definitely a valid concern and I'll be watching for that if I do anything to make the barrel more stable in the future!

@FREEBIRD- You mentioning your CO2 pistol got me to thinking and I remembered that I have a Umarex/S&W M&P 40 here (non-blowback version), it was given to me for some work I did on a friend's Winchester Model 67. I'm pretty sure it uses the same type action as the Model 74- but it shoots BBs at a little more than 400 fps. I'm going to disassemble it to measure and compare things like spring tension and orifice diameters to see what the differences are. Hopefully this will point me in the right direction for my goal of 300 fps.

Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 6:29am
These new Co2 pistols they have out shoot really well, even the bb gun type like the Daisy 415, they're accurate for a bb gun to 35-40 ft., hold up to 20 rounds and are pretty good on gas usage.

Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 7:24am
I didn't count but I read my Umarex gets about 75-80 full power shots from a cartridge. Considering it shoots ~30% faster than I want to get from the 74, that would put the shot count of the 74 @ 300 fps around 105. Maybe more because of the longer barrel of the 74, so I'm going to guess the 74 will give 120 shots @ 300 fps.

Last night while thinking about the 74 I realized I won't need to dump the cartridge just to remove/replace the preload spacer so that makes things easier, and saves on co2. Every $0.50 counts! haha

Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 9:35am
These Co2  guns with the spring loaded barrel hammer for the valve are foreign to me. I cut my teeth on the old style crosman weighted hammer. I still don't really know how they operate (I'll have to disassemble one, one of these days ). The new Crosman P15B pistol has the same type mechanism, you can see the barrel move in and out when the trigger is pulled. Hopefully they're serviceable, and can be re sealed, I have a tendency to keep things around a while.

Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 12:33pm
I'm no expert on co2 airguns by any stretch but this has to be the simplest design around. I'll take photos of it next time I have it apart for reference- you'll immediately see how it works. Until then, think of the barrel being the hammer, and the valve's open end also being the valve's actuator, same as the pin on a 'normal' valve. So when the barrel strikes the valve, the valve's internal spring allows the open end of the valve to momentarily open allowing co2 to flow.

Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 5:38pm
The only other time I've had a gun apart that had a barrel acting as the hammer is the Daisy 1200 pistol. Super simple in there simpler than the 74 by far. The barrel has a "stem" (actuator) on the end that depresses a 5/16" bearing ball in the valve to release a puff of Co2. Works great and Daisy doesn't give up on a system that works so.......
BTW the 1200 is a very accurate BB plinker and the ones I've had chroney at 415-420 fps or so. 

-------------

Posted By: PappyWagner
Date Posted: January-20-2017 at 6:12pm
Ok, I'm on board with this gun as well. Just picked mine up at the local K-mart for $19.99  !!!

-------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie ?"

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 1:07am
I tried a spacer inside the valve- fail. Not sure where the bottleneck is, but I'm going to try a few more things.

The photo is confusing but maybe it'll give some idea of how the 74 valve works.

ETA- In the exploded view below of the Crosman C11, Crosman calls the part I named 'actuator' a hammer (1-25).

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 9:55am
That's very helpful, if seals can be purchased from Daisy we can keep the gun going for a long time. I picked up a Crosman P15B pistol I think has the same system, that thing is very fast, it will easily penetrate coffee cans at 30 ft., the first 5 shots sound like a .22. Are you thinking to get more fps to get the valve to open more distance, hence longer duration? Seems I read something on the net adding weight to the hammer? Also $19.99 for one is a very good deal, you will like it.Smile

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 11:27am
The idea behind the small spacer made from tubing was exactly what you said- more travel, and so more duration. And I truly believe it would have increased the CO2 flow, but it turns out that the #3 "activator" (my term)/1-25 hammer (Crosman term) sticks out of the end of the valve too far when the spacer is installed. That causes the assembly that feeds BBs to contact it when the gun is reassembled, and in turn that causes a CO2 dump as soon as the carto is pierced. I can see some other ways to get more travel but it would mean removing metal- and would be non reversible. So I'm holding out for an easier, less permanent way to get more power.

As for adding weight to the hammer, if the 74 used a normal hammer I believe it would help. But with the 74, the "hammer" is the barrel so adding preload to the "recoil" spring like I did in the first test acts about the same as a heavier hammer- at least that's what I think happens. But if you (or anyone else) see something I'm missing , please let me know, 'cause I'm way out of my comfort zone here! haha

For now, the next thing I'd like to try is using a weaker valve spring (it's sticking out the back of part #1 above). I like this idea because it's simple/easy to do providing a suitable spring can be found. I have a stash of springs in the shop so I'll go through what I have to see if anything looks like it'll work. Even if it's too light and causes problems with a low shot count or icing, it will serve to show if this is an option or not.

What I'm seeing is, this is not as simple of a job as I had thought! Daisy has done their homework and the system is balanced in such a way that changing the power in a meaningful way will not likely be a "change one part" deal. I can see the possibility of needing a bigger valve chamber to hold more CO2, the chance the piercing pin and/or center hole through the actuator needing opened up, maybe going back to more recoil spring preload and maybe back to increasing the travel of the actuator again. But this it the kind of thing that I enjoy, so win, lose or draw- it's all good!

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 12:11pm
The biggest noticeable increase in velocity I saw was when I warmed up the cartridge before installing it, I hit it with the heat gun and it was at about 85°C. Again I was using Crosman cartiges, whether it makes any difference or not? I may try a Daisy and Umarex cartridge. Some of the paintball guys use tank warmers on their co2 and say it helps. I was also thinking the barrel spring may have gotten a little soft after 5000 shots and perhaps stretching it would help? It will be interesting what it does this summer when the ambient temp it above 80°C.

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 1:28pm
Agree about the summer weather picking up the power. Here in GA if a gun (or tools, even the car's steering wheel) is in the summer sun it can get too hot to hold! Wouldn't even want to do that to a plastic gun!

Date Posted: January-21-2017 at 5:06pm
It's a good little gun for what it is, and with care I will probably have it around for years. It is actually more accurate than the gaggle of high powered bb pistols I own, some of those spray bb's all over the place and they were pretty pricey compared to the 74. The bb gun manufacturers have come a long way and make some really nice stuff, they may however want to research making some improvements to barrels, I had a daisy model 499 and that thing was really accurate, I just did not really care for the single shot muzzle loading. 

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 12:23am

Found the filter hiding behind the piercing pin. it’s a sintered/pressed brass bead type affair like used on some low performance gasoline filtering applications. It wasn’t fouled but it’s still restrictive. And now it’s been removed.

The 74 piercing pin ID is quite a bit smaller than my Umarex/S&W BB pistol. So while I had the valve apart and the piercing pin removed, I opened the 74 pin up from 0.026” to 0.028” with a #70 drill bit in a pin vice. This is still smaller than the pistol’s piercing pin. Now, 0.002” doesn’t sound like much but it increases the area by ~16%. I’m curious to see what, if any, change this brings. I didn’t want to make “irreversible” changes but I threw caution to the wind- after all it’s a $22.50 BB gun and besides I could solder the pin closed and redrill it to a smaller size.

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 7:38am
That will be interesting what it does without that filter.

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 9:31am
It may turn out that the filter the fuse said could be fouled with oil (the filter I said didn't exit) is responsible for the initial power drop after all. Because when I cleaned the gun with carb cleaner I didn't think to squirt it through the piercing pin. It wasn't until I was using small numbered drill bits as gauges to determine the size of the piercing pin's hole did I realize there was something there, when the drill bit hit something inside the pin.

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 11:48am
Not much help from bigger piercing pin and removing filter. It's around 215 fps @ 60 degrees F, preload of the recoil/striker spring is maxed out.
Next I'll try a lighter valve spring, mainly because it's easy and reversible if it's no help. But increasing the valve's CO2 volume may be at the root of more MV.
Anyway, I've still got the lighter spring, more valve volume, a bigger hole in the valve pin or more valve-open duration to try.

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 2:12pm
Or, when the weather gets up to 85°C you'll be firing at 450 FPSTongue

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 2:22pm
HAA!! It'd serve me right!

Before enlarging the valve's volume, I was hoping to find info on about how much CO2 volume is needed for 300 fps from a BB gun. So far no luck but I have to think there's formulas for such things. Any idea where I should look? I'm currently looking at GTA in the http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?board=164.0" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 3:35pm
Well it's 55 degrees up here today so I did some shooting with the 74. I did a ten shot string over the chroney. I was not even trying to be kind. I waited 5 seconds between each shot and was surprised at how it didn't really lose any power. All shots were between 250 and 275 fps and last shot was 271. Not sure what to make of that......it's nice though. I was not very impressed with it's accuracy, off the shelf. At 30', I was able to keep all the BBs in a 7"x9" target. :)  OK it was not that bad but it shot a 4" spray around and once in awhile inside the bull. I'll have to try that spacer thing you did Freebird. Hope it helps because I do like to plink cans and otherwise my 74 seems to shoot quite well and summer heat should jump it up to near 300 fps. Good luck with your modding this gun. I look forward to hearing how it comes out.

-------------

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 5:15pm
I took mine down completely this afternoon, never been into a gun of this configuration before, it's not bad. All the seals in it are removeable /replaceable except the hard nylon one in the valve housing (could probably get that part). I punched a hole through that copper bead filter to get better air flow and cleaned the plumbing, it has a lot of black residue from  the co2 carts. Really did not make it any more powerful, but it's can be worked on, and is not a disposable gun. Fuse if yours is hitting 275 that's not bad, about  what a daisy 499 does. Getting a barrel spacer to take up some slop really helps the accuracy.  Keeping the moving bits greased will also probably help keep the little pot metal pcs. last longer also.  It's a fun little gun to shoot and tinker with for sure.

Date Posted: January-23-2017 at 3:17pm

I’d be thrilled to see 275 fps from my gun especially w/o any tinkering. I just don't understand why mine dropped off so bad.

What brand powerlets are you guys using?

Date Posted: January-23-2017 at 3:36pm

Date Posted: January-23-2017 at 4:49pm
Mine is not doing any better after cleaning and opening the filter, it functions fine and shoots, but like yours it dropped off. I tried something simple like cleaning the barrel also. I was thinking the grease loss may have hindered the 'snap" in the action, it's something really simple, the gun is not that complicated. I want to try Daisy carts just for comparison also. Great to see they have parts listed.

Date Posted: January-23-2017 at 7:14pm
I use Cr Co2 carts. I've found them to be very reliable. It sure looks simple in that valve. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The "hammer" drives the "valve" back so a puff of gas can get passed the valve seal? I typically think of what Daisy calls the valve as a vlave stem... in a Cr 38T, for instance. And what the heck is an "inner pipe"? 
I'm mystified by your loss of power here. Once the gas is in the valve body, it's a simple dump when the hammer strikes home......properly. Seems to me, something must be hindering that action from moving freely???

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2017 at 7:22pm
The inner pipe is that hard plastic valve seat, I have 5 Cr 38T's and C's and they have one too. I know when they get indented too bad they also loose power, some of the newer re-seal kits give you a delrin or nylon type and the guns have tremendous power after the rebuild. I have 6000 or so shots on my 74, that may be the issue on it as well, easy fix to put a new one in. The little valve in the 74 is miniature and it only has about 3/8" of actuation that's why it gets so many shots.

Date Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:55am
Too bad they don't sell the individual parts that make up the valve. $15 for a replacement valve is 2/3 of what I paid for the complete gun. But at least it is available if push comes to shove.

I drilled the center hole of the valve's "valve" to 3/32". I'll retest it tomorrow to see what that does- but I'm not holding out much hope for improvement. I have to agree there may be something that's hindering the action of the barrel acting on the valve to release the right amount of gas.

That said, I see no one's using Crosman powerlets like I am. I started using them after the first 2 Daisy cartos were used up- and the power dropped off at the exact same time. Like I mentioned earlier, I still have 2 Daisy cartridges, they came w/the S&W M&P BB pistol my friend gave me. I'll retest the gun with the drilled valve using Crosman co2 to keep from changing 2 things at once. Then I'll use a Daisy carto to compare. The 2 types of cartridges look quite a bit different- wouldn't that be a hoot if it was just the difference in cartridges all along? The image below shows them both, viewing angles differ slightly but still the differences are easily seen.

Date Posted: January-24-2017 at 3:56pm
I tried the Daisy carts, no difference, something is worn out in the action of valve, when the temp gets higher it will probably hit the mid to high 200's. Mine is getting the little puff of co2 vapor also, same as it was new. When I first started the thread on the gun a month ago you can see exit holes in the Coke can, it will not do this anymore just dents them, still a lot of fun. I have a 1949 Red Ryder and it will fly through cans at 35 ft., the springs on these old ones are strong, takes a little effort to cock.
 photo CANRR_zpshrxffhb1.jpg

Date Posted: January-24-2017 at 9:58pm
Nice Red Ryder, FREEBIRD!

I will start using Daisy's terminology for the parts.

I'd suggest adding 1/2" to 5/8" of preload to your old, well-used barrel spring. I aged my spring prematurely by adding 1" of preload, then when I removed it the spring had lost some tension, so now it needs 1/2" of preload just to be "normal".

I got my 74 up to the 300 fps range. Don't know the exact MV because the sun had gone down too far for my chronograph to work but I know about what it is by having compared actual MV to how much damage is done to the bottom of a Del Monte fruit cocktail can. I use the same brand all the time so there's little variation in tests using these cans. They measure 0.0085" thick. Shooting them point-blank takes around 320-330 fps to fully punch through the bottom. The can will be barely split at the 280 fps range. The can below was shot w/my 74 a couple hours ago. I will chrony it tomorrow to verify but I'm guessing right at 300fps.

The travel of the firing pin (and the valve, by association) is pitifully small stock. I measured it at 0.023". The problem with this is, the valve's side holes are round, so the valve has to move inward further than it's capable of to expose the widest part of the side holes to allow the most gas to flow. Ideally these side holes would be square.

To get the ~300 fps MV I drilled the center of the valve to 3/32", widened the bottoms of the valve's side holes and shortened the firing pin by about 0.012" (I would have taken off more, but it's slow going using wet sandpaper on a piece of glass). Unfortunately I don't know how much each modification contributed to the results. But if I had it to do over again, I would start by adding a 1/2" shim to the barrel spring, along with taking 0.015" off the bottom of the firing pin. If that wasn't enough I'd drill the center of the valve to 3/32" and widen the valve's side holes as close to the sealing surface as I could get.

A word of caution: If anyone works on the valve (especially if widening the valve's side holes), please be careful- it's easy to get into the area of the valve that seals against the valve seal- it's only a VERY narrow area that seals the valve chamber and if the valve is damaged a whole new $15.00 valve assembly would be needed.

Date Posted: January-25-2017 at 1:36pm

It’s up to 69° here today. It has way more velocity than I first thought. But it drops off if more than 6-8 shots are taken quickly (compare top chrono to bottom to see how much). Not too sure why, but I suspect it may have something to do w/the small volume of the valve assembly. But whatever the cause, I doubt there’s much, if anything, I can do about it. This build does not use the drilled out piercing pin, I robbed a stock-sized pin from a parts gun. Maybe using the larger ID piercing pin would help by refilling the valve assembly quicker, but that’s just a guess.

There’s a lot of unanswered questions about what changes gave what results. About the easiest way to get answers will be to bite the bullet and order a new valve assembly, and then do one change at a time. I was planning on making another Daisy order anyway, so I’ll just add the valve ass’y. to it.

Date Posted: January-25-2017 at 3:02pm
I wanted to see what the accuracy would be like at extended range. The distant circled object is a plastic mayo jar hung by twine from a branch. The object in the foreground is my mailbox at the top of my driveway. The distance is 140 feet or about 47 yards, shooting offhand, using the sights and not holding over 'Kentucky windage'-style. I missed the first shot, hit the second and third, missed the fourth and hit twice more in a row after that. That's only 4 out of 6 (66%) but still, I feel pretty good about it. I have done nothing to enhance the accuracy like taping the barrel. I give credit to how accurate this particular gun has been from the get-go, and also not losing the cheekweld helps me a ton.

Date Posted: January-25-2017 at 3:53pm
That's good stuff, I knew the gun had it in it, I may try the valve mod on mine as well.

Date Posted: January-25-2017 at 7:05pm
Nice job getting the fps up there! I think that the drop in power is exactly because you got so much more gas is passing. (pardon pun) That means more adiabatic cooling as well.....and of course power loss.  Co2 is very susceptable to that issue. Way more so than air. At 150 feet, I'd be surprised if my 74 hit that jar one out of ten tries....even at rest. I was having trouble hitting a 2 inch bull at 30 feet.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2017 at 9:59am
Thanks for hanging in there w/me, guys- I appreciate it!

When the new valve assy. gets here, I'll change nothing except to use the shortened firing pin then check MV and if it shows a lot of improvement I might just stop there. If not, next I'll use a stock FP with the modded valve then check MV. If it looks like the modded valve is helping the most I'll drill the center of one stock valve and then check MV. Then widen the side holes of my last stock valve then check MV. This will show what each valve mod contributes.

There's a reasonably good chance that each mod helps at least some. But if there's a single mod that helps the most/helps enough, I'd like to pin it down.

Date Posted: January-26-2017 at 6:49pm
Cobalt, look at the can. I'm getting clean holes through the bottom at 40 ft.! I did the 3/32 opening of the valve and it's pretty fast now indoors. Night and day difference, it's up to the power of that old Red Ryder, the trajectory is dead flat now. Thanks for the experimental work, it was worth it.
 photo D332_zps9utsiuoz.jpg

Date Posted: January-26-2017 at 8:58pm
That's impressive- well done!! And thank you for posting this info- you have saved me some work for sure.

I had the time today to shoot a short string through the chronograph today, results were:

66° ambient temp, ~5seconds between shots.

1. 403
  2. 398
  3. 403
  4. 410
  5. 398
  6. 391
  7. 395

Not sure why the MV was so high yesterday other than now the cartridge may be about to run out. I haven't kept track of the shot count very closely, but this string is in the 60-plus range. Next carto I'll try to keep better track.

Date Posted: January-29-2017 at 2:35pm
Guys, I'm loving the 74!

I removed the barrel spring preload spacer, it's now shooting right at 350 fps and is very consistent. Trigger pull is a bit lighter w/o the spacer but truth be told, the preload didn't add much extra weight to the pull anyway. And by all indications the shot count will be well over 100 in this state of tune. I am loading 100 BBs the first time and when they run out I'll load 15 at a time until the MV drops off. I'll post the results.

Date Posted: January-29-2017 at 2:44pm
I really like the way mine turned out with the filter drilled out,and the valve opened up to 3/32" I think I get about 10-12 mag loads on this, and that's fine. Will need to do some long range testing when the weather gets better.

Date Posted: January-29-2017 at 2:53pm
I can't believe how accurate this gun is- I must have hit the Daisy 74 lottery with it! Hitting my "usual" targets set up for the Daisy lever guns is almost too easy. My Daisy lever guns are shooting only slightly slower- and all have been worked over so they shoot to POA- but they're still a bigger challenge to hit with than the 74. I believe a lot of it has to do with not losing the cheekweld every shot, and part must be the sight picture of the 74 agrees with me.

I'll be interested to hear what your accuracy results are!

Date Posted: January-31-2017 at 5:01pm
Mine will hit a 2" dia. at 40ft. almost instinct shooting it. I still need to shore up the barrel wiggle a little bit more. I noticed the "wander" when I put a little scope on it, but could still get it consistent to a quarter. It is more accurate than my vintage model 25's , with the upgrade in power it's just right for shooting really flat. The gun is just so handy, no cocking, pumping, breaking barrels, and hardly loading it, pick the thing up and start shooting Smile

Date Posted: January-31-2017 at 6:28pm
FREEBIRD, as far as shot count, I just got to the 200 shot mark on the same cartridge, shot #201 was 362 fps. If I'd have known the 74 would turn out this good before I started modifying the lever guns, I might have never started!

At 10 yards the average group size is around 2"- no better than any of my spring air lever action Daisys. It's when I extend the range that it really shines. Shooting offhand from ~18 yds. and on, it owns the lever guns. I've not shot any targets for group size at anything but 10 yards, so that's something I need to do.

Date Posted: January-31-2017 at 7:13pm
I've done a little shooting outside at 65 ft. in the yard and could not really get a good feel for it, too cold up here. I'm also tempted to try some Avanti bb's in it, but I agree, it out guns the 25's Red Ryder's etc. with the mods. I'd like a metal/wood version of this with a little bigger powerplant and gets about 120 shots at 450 FPS. I'm tempted to say it's the best performing BB rifle out there, I would really like to hook a paintball bottle and teather to it, but I don't think they make an aftermarket adapter for it yet. This thing will be a literal "blast" this summer.

Date Posted: January-31-2017 at 9:27pm
A wood stock would be cool. I'm thinking with the mods I've made I may be pretty close to 400 fps once the weather warms back up- even without any barrel spring preload- so I'll leave it as-is until I see how it does when it's hot out. 

I mentioned adding weight to the hollow areas of the forearm and buttstock and I'm sure this has helped me with accuracy. Shooting offhand with the added weight, the gun seems more steady when pulling through the 'double action' trigger.

Date Posted: February-01-2017 at 8:25pm
The best BB rifle out there....for me.... is The Cr (hahn) super BB repeater. It's Co2, wood stock, adjustable power, and cool western look. Tops out at just over 500 fps but you can back it off by adjusting the hammer spring down to under 300 fps. 

-------------

Posted By: Boley
Date Posted: February-01-2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by the fuse the fuse wrote:

The best BB rifle out there....for me.... is The Cr (hahn) super BB repeater. It's Co2, wood stock, adjustable power, and cool western look. Tops out at just over 500 fps but you can back it off by adjusting the hammer spring down to under 300 fps. 

I have one of those too,but didn't know about "adjustable power". I'd like to hear more. This is a good place learn things!

Date Posted: February-02-2017 at 1:24am
Crosman model 166, don't see them very often anymore. Neat gun just the same.
http://www.crosman.com/cs/manuals/crosman-rifles" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: February-02-2017 at 1:27am
I think I got the shot count off by 100 too many. I've been distracted here lately and might have thought I loaded a second bottle of 100- when in fact I didn't. I'll keep closer track of it when I replace the cartridge.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk