Forum Description: To help users communicate about Daisy Aiguns
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7792
Printed Date: October-20-2018 at 1:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 35th Anniversary RR fail.
Posted By: Daily shooter
Subject: 35th Anniversary RR fail.
Date Posted: January-22-2018 at 10:17am
Bought two Daisy 35th Anniversary Christmas Dream Red Ryders. Gave one to my sweetheart and she loved it. Yesterday, while she was out shooting it, the metal cocking handle began to fail to fully set the plunger back on the trigger sear. When I removed it I found it severely worn
at the tip that engages the plunger. Looked like someone chewed it up on a grinder. Replaced it with a spare plastic handle. I'll mail it back to Daisy today for a replacement. They might want to hire an engineer or two to run some tests on these parts prior to market. I put this event into the same catagory as their oversize Premium BBs that will jam your gun. Don't expect them to say anything but,"sorry for your inconvenience".

Replies:
Posted By: rexron911
Date Posted: January-24-2018 at 6:54pm
Wow, Let me know what happens!

-------------
Okay, Black Bart, now you get yours!!!

Date Posted: January-24-2018 at 10:22pm
I will. I first class it to Daisy this past Monday. The plastic lever I replaced it with has so far not failed.

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 8:08pm
Daisy mailed a new metal RR cocking lever without apology or explanation. Started testing it today. So far, no problems. If this one wears out, I'll post it here.

Date Posted: February-08-2018 at 11:11pm
Update on the metal replacement cocking lever:
It failed today just as the original one did. The contact
Surface has worn down so much that it will not move the
Plunger far enough to the rear to engage the trigger sear.
So, it goes back to Daisy for a third try. Bad casting, I suspect
in that the metal is too soft. Stay tuned.

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: February-09-2018 at 2:34am
The cocking effort of an unmodified current production RR is 11 lb 14 oz. If your gun measures much above that, there's something else wrong.

If you have a gram scale, weigh the new unworn lever and we can compare it to a NOS lever I bought a year or so ago. It is made of zinc alloy and has the plastic insert, it weighs 166.01g.

Date Posted: February-09-2018 at 11:08am
The RR was a gift for my girlfriend. It's Christmas Dream
No. 934. Cocking effort is smooth and easy as her other RR. Don't have
a gram scale but that's a good idea. I will try an older metal lever. Perhaps
It's a faulty plunger assembly. Thanks for your ideas, Cobalt.

Posted By: Airitis
Date Posted: February-09-2018 at 5:57pm
That is a real problem. I used to think that the metal levers were better and the plastic were just a cost saving move. I have noticed, however, that old metal levers vary in weight and typically show more wear than the plastic ones...even older plastics with a lot of usage. If your lady is going to use this one much, maybe saving the original lever for posterity and replacing it with the plastic one for regular use is an option.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: February-09-2018 at 8:47pm
Thanks , I have done that but still feel Daisy owes me another. And will test an older metal lever.

Posted By: Bavaria55n
Date Posted: February-10-2018 at 9:07am
Thanks for posting. Like Aritis I would have thought the plastic would fail first. I have a few broken aluminum levers but never had one worn enough it wouldn't cock the gun. 
Gary

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: February-10-2018 at 11:02am
I have a feeling your lever issue is due to poor aluminum casting. I have never had a Daisy metal lever that was as worn as you describe. From your story, it sounds like the lever wore out within a day or two. That is real bad. I'd put in n old metal lever.

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Date Posted: February-20-2018 at 2:50pm
Daisy did send me a prepaid Fed Ex shipping label to return the second failed RR cocking lever. But just to see I put it in another RR that had a metal lever and it is working with no problems. In fact the lever I removed from that gun looks more worn than the suspect one. Now, I wonder if the fault lies not with the lever but with the trigger assembly in the Christmas Dream RR. Going to keep shooting with the suspect lever for a while. My girlfriend is happy with the plastic lever in her gun and will not let me take it apart to compare triggers with another older RR.

Date Posted: February-20-2018 at 5:24pm
There is definitely something to be said for a happy girl friend. Just the two cents from a guy who has had plenty of experience with an unhappy partner. Ouch 

-------------

Date Posted: February-20-2018 at 7:16pm
Something just occurred to me. You can check something without taking the gun apart. Use a disassembled RR to compare if the trigger bolts and lever bolts line up. If the holes are off then a little wear will change the way the cocking distance engages. Otherwise.....sneak the gun away when she isn't looking and do a little "internal investigating".   

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: February-21-2018 at 12:17am
Airitis , your first suggestion is a good one and I'll do that. The second one? What are you, crazy? Sneak a woman's gun when she is not looking!

Date Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:12pm
I stand corrected. Please forgive my moment of insanity.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: February-21-2018 at 8:44pm
That's ok. I learned as a youngster in the 1950s from my mother that women are Never not watching !

Date Posted: February-22-2018 at 5:48pm
Yes..... I now work hard to avoid the nearly always bad "Honey, could I talk to you for a minute".

-------------

Date Posted: March-01-2018 at 1:36pm
Hey Daily Shooter, You won't believe this. I bought a few of the Red's after Christmas and the front of the plastic cocking levers are at least 1/4" longer than older ones I have!! Even with noticeable wear, both metal and plastic can't wear that much and still work. I think that the Christmas Dreams were models that were made with plastics and then converted with metals, these were older types. If my guess is correct, new 2017 guns need longer levers. I took an old lever which works well, installed it in the new gun and it did not engage the sear.

I'll do more verifying but this seems like a subtle change in manufacturing process. I'll keep you posted.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:10pm
Well, the drillings on the body line up with ones from an older model. Switching the trigger didn't help. I'm thinking the plunger back end may have something to do with it. Next step is to disassemble and check it out.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: March-01-2018 at 11:20pm
And furthermore, the failed metal lever from the 35th Christmas Dream is working perfectly in an older RR. And a new plastic lever which has a noticeable taller hook on it is working perfectly
In the Dream. "It's a mystery".

Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 3:48pm
Well, I think I see the cause. The current triggers have a slightly smaller sear. The newer levers compensate for this. All metal levers are the older/shorter type. A little wear renders them unusable on the currently made guns. Current guns with the newer triggers need to be mated with new/longer levers.
I wonder what changed in the production? I wonder if Daisy even realized this prior to making the35th anniversary conversions?

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 9:51pm
Great work. Please try to get Daisy interested in the lever problem. They have expressed zero interest in anything I have told including these failing levers and their oversize BB problem which will lock down
a 1938B RR.

Posted By: Bavaria55n
Date Posted: March-06-2018 at 10:02pm
Thanks for the report on solving this problem.
Will be nice to know when these guns show up on the used market.
Gary

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 9:34am
That's a good point Gary. I'll be looking for, "won't cock and shoot, don't know why. "

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 5:26pm
I have a call into Daisy customer service. Waiting a reply.

I'm working on a couple ways to solve the problem in my shop. Where there's a will...... ;-)

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 7:24pm
I wait your results but as for me, I am so insane I am trying to seal a model 300. Had some success with two 200s but not with the rifle. Waiting on a few replacement parts from JG Airguns to give it one more chance before I turn it into a lamp. How could something so beautiful be so unreliable and erratic? Then I remember one of my ex-girlfriend!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk