Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 'Scope'/shroud you don't see every day
Posted By: cobalt327
Subject: 'Scope'/shroud you don't see every day
Date Posted: April-20-2018 at 2:34pm

Replies:
Posted By: Bavaria55n
Date Posted: April-21-2018 at 9:16am
I have never seen one with the 'shroud' like that. Any idea what it is off of?
Is it for one of the wide frame guns?
gary

Date Posted: April-21-2018 at 10:07am
Gary, honestly I have no idea! Was hoping someone here could ID it. I went as far as to photoshop a copy w/a transparent background so I could overlay it onto photos of various Daisys, and I still couldn't find a match. Like you, I had also thought it might be a wide frame thing but when overlaid onto one of them, the front of the shroud sits above the wide frame shroud by a quarter inch or so, leaving a gap. At least that's how it looked to me.

Posted By: Dannop2
Date Posted: April-21-2018 at 11:33am
It almost looks like it was made to fit over a model 25 - slide the front under the rear sight and put the stock screw back in or a longer one.

-------------
Realshooter

Date Posted: April-21-2018 at 3:18pm
Maybe. I tried to overlay the scope on a 25 earlier but after looking at the photo below, it might work. Seems like the basic lines match but that's a guess. ¯\_()_/¯

Date Posted: April-21-2018 at 4:34pm
It's up to >$42 w/2 days to go- so someone must know what it goes to! haha

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: April-22-2018 at 8:45pm
Looks like the form of a D 99/95 or the like. 

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Posted By: Rick Cates
Date Posted: April-22-2018 at 8:59pm
The slot in the front and sweeping at the back and the screw hole is what makes it hard for me to tell what it fits on.
Someone on here needs to buy it and then tell the rest of us what it actually fits.
It is something you do not see every day.  It is the first time for me to see this one in all my collecting days.
Rick in TX

-------------
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member

Date Posted: April-24-2018 at 1:16pm
It sold for $79.99.  Not mine or anyone I know.
Did anyone on here purchase it?
I would like to know what it fit and more about it.
Just Curious!
Rick in TX

-------------

Date Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:20pm
Not me. There were only 4 bidders but I have to believe at least one of them knows what they were bidding on. Too bad ebay no longer allows contact w/bidders, else I'd be asking! I've asked at the American Vintage Airgun forum but so far nothing.

Posted By: Dan Neidinger
Date Posted: April-24-2018 at 5:08pm
I will let you know more when I get it and figure out what it fits!

Date Posted: April-24-2018 at 5:49pm
That's great, Dan- I'm really curious!

Mark

Date Posted: April-24-2018 at 8:04pm
That is great.
The mystery will be solved.
I thought it might be someone from the forum who purchased it.
Rick in TX

-------------

Posted By: Dan Neidinger
Date Posted: April-26-2018 at 10:25pm
Well the mystery continues! The scope does not fit any gun I have.
I think it may fit the Daisy play gun with the rubber bayonet.

Date Posted: April-27-2018 at 8:35pm
The mystery continues...

Posted By: BurghDude
Date Posted: April-27-2018 at 8:47pm
The only bayonet gun I'm aware of is the 40 Defender.  This scope wouldn't work on that, there's no place for that tang screw to attach.  Are you talking about a different one?

Posted By: Iceman
Date Posted: April-28-2018 at 9:04am
I think he referenced the "trainer" that has the rubber bayonet.  I do not have the trainer so I can't speak to that, however, I do have a rubber bayonet in pristine condition.   
Smile

Date Posted: May-05-2018 at 8:33am
Anything else turn up on what gun this was made for?
Gary

Posted By: Airitis
Date Posted: May-05-2018 at 12:53pm
I may be way off here, but this looks like a toy. It doesn't seem to be solidly mountable. Looks like the front slides under an existing rear sight and only has one screw in the back. Also, it doesn't have adjustments for elevation nor windage. Can't tell if there are lenses. Maybe it was made for a popgun or as an "add-on".

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: May-06-2018 at 8:52am
Could be. But none of the 'peep sight scopes' used on the BB guns had any adjustment. Certainly a solidly made item compared to the plastic of today.
Gary

Date Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:18pm
I thought it would be fun to reach out to the museum regarding this, and this is the reply I received. I'm copying their reply here with permission, and thank you Daisy Museum Staff!  I'll try later to post the picture they sent. 

In the early 1970 a series of wood guns were made and among them was the 846. 

The shroud itself is off of a model 846 toy gun made in the early 1970s.  The scope is a #301  toy gun scope with no glass for magnification - but it should have an eyepiece.

I've attached a catalog page scan from a 1974 catalog.  Take a look at the model 846 Training rifle (toy gun).  That is the shroud that is shown with the scope attached in Daisy Talk / on ebay.  There was not a production shroud made with a scope mount.

There are two options regarding how this piece came to exist - and they are really the same.  It's possible that a shroud was pulled before it was painted and the scope mount  was spot welded to it by a Daisy employee as a speculative new product idea.  No doubt it was rejected either due to cost or because it would have required larger packaging and therefore more retail space. This gun was never produced with the scope/mount.

It's also possible that any other individual might have created the piece for the same reasons. 

We hope this information is helpful.  The Daisy Museum

Date Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:17pm
Too cool. A true skunkwerks type deal here, unique to the hilt.

Date Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:14pm
Thanks for the information.
A unique piece indeed.
Gary

Date Posted: May-10-2018 at 7:52am
I finally got the picture they provided loaded.  The gun in question is the lower left one.  I couldn't find any other pictures of that one anywhere!  

Posted By: Airitis
Date Posted: May-10-2018 at 5:24pm
Veering off the subject a little, I have the scabbard for the 1968 Trail Scout on the upper right photo. No belt/strap. just the scabbard. Until now I didn't know what it was for. Thanks for posting the pix.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk