Forum Description: To help users communicate about Daisy Aiguns
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7898
Printed Date: November-15-2018 at 3:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Model 717/747 left hand
Posted By: Bill D in Virginia
Subject: Model 717/747 left hand
Date Posted: June-27-2018 at 5:26pm
I hope this is understandable since it is my first post. I got hooked on the 880s a while back and a friend gave me a broken 717 that I fixed and have shot a little bit. I would really like to shoot it more around the house for handgun practice (I am a hand loader). I can’t shoot it with the right hand thumb rest grip on it and can’t find a source today for the left hand grips. I was wondering if anyone had a solution other than making some. Right now I have shot it enough without a left grip to know that I should have discovered it a long time ago. Started looking at this when I "overhauled"my first 880. I hope someone has a helpful answer, thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: June-27-2018 at 5:53pm
Daisy quit stocking the left hand grips for your gun several years ago so they're no help. Allthe suppliers I usually use for OEM parts don't seem to hae them either, not LH anyway. You might be stuck with buying a custom set but they will not come cheap.
Left handed grips for a 777 or 747 will fit your gun if you replace the existing locating pin with a longer pin.

Good luck

Posted By: Airitis
Date Posted: June-27-2018 at 5:58pm
According to the Daisy collectors guide, the model777 was made with left or right hand grips. If you could get your hands on one from that model, try them on the frame. Maybe someone out there has parts. Hard to tell just by pix.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: June-28-2018 at 8:44am
Yes, I am hoping that someone that has more than one set or had a set and decided to make their own might be willing to part with something that I can use. Thanks for the replies to my question. I would be happy with a "butchered set" that I could work with. The right hand ones are still available from Daisy, I may be forced to modify them if nothing comes up. I am sure that I am not the first person to have this problem.

Posted By: Dannop2
Date Posted: June-28-2018 at 9:08am
Hello , I have had several grips made my a genius grip maker with the name of Vernon Austin , I inquired about the 717 grips and he can make them for $65.00 with many choices of material , if you are interested email me and I can send you his link and all , hope this is of some help .  

-------------
Realshooter

Posted By: BurghDude
Date Posted: June-28-2018 at 12:34pm
I can second Dannop2 on Vernon's grips. Great quality and workmanship! I have a set.

Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:49pm
Thank you, that sounds like a fair price to me. I would welcome the information.

Date Posted: June-30-2018 at 10:26am
You can reach Vernon at : vaustin928@yahoo.com , he is one of the good guys .

-------------
Realshooter

Date Posted: June-30-2018 at 3:45pm
Thank you so much, I have already sent him an email. Shot the gun a little today with a "homemade" left grip, very happy with it. Acquired a "parts" 747 that someone destroyed the left and right receivers halves trying to modify them for a scope mount. The left side is not available., now if could just find one of those .........thanks so much for your interest.

Date Posted: June-30-2018 at 9:11pm
You are most welcome , i'll keep an eye out for a " lefty " for you , those 717's are fun guns for sure .

-------------
Realshooter

Date Posted: July-01-2018 at 9:18pm
Thanks, I really appreciate that. I would probably buy a "donor gun" that had that and maybe a few other parts. One of these would be a pain to make but it is the only part that am missing from having a 747 that had been Fired about 25 times before my friend (deceased) decided that he was going to put a pistol scope on it and thought that he was dealing with aluminum until he put a little heat on it. He threw the halves away and was "going to" order new ones but never did.

Date Posted: July-11-2018 at 5:20pm
Well, I received my left hand grips today from Vernon Austin, he sent me several pictures of them before shipment and I was impressed. BUT, there is nothing like "meeting them in person", they are far above what I expected. I have quite a few handguns and I don’t believe that I have any to rival them they are perfect in every way. Thanks guys for letting me know about his fantastic work!

Date Posted: July-11-2018 at 9:15pm
Photos or it didn't happen! (If you can't post photos send them to my email and I'll put them up for you.)

Date Posted: July-11-2018 at 10:20pm
Vernon is something else isn't he ? , I need to open up my wallet , let the moths out and purchase some more from this artist , enjoy them , they will last forever .

-------------
Realshooter

Date Posted: July-12-2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Bill D in Virginia Bill D in Virginia wrote:

Well, I received my left hand grips today from Vernon Austin, he sent me several pictures of them before shipment and I was impressed. BUT, there is nothing like "meeting them in person", they are far above what I expected. I have quite a few handguns and I don’t believe that I have any to rival them they are perfect in every way. Thanks guys for letting me know about his fantastic work!
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Photos or it didn't happen! (If you can't post photos send them to my email and I'll put them up for you.)

Originally posted by Bill D in Virginia Bill D in Virginia wrote:

I wanted something a little bit different, this is Birdseye Maple. They are so perfect that they almost look "fake". I am actually a "Gun nut" from way back, I have over 60 handguns and I don’t believe that I have any that are prettier than these and fit any better. They fit like a bank vault door. I am building a 747 and am going to put ambidextrous American Walnut on that one. Will probably order those grips in the next two weeks. Let me tell you this, I have a Ruger Mark I that I ordered a set of custom left hand thumbrest grips for in 1965. I paid $40.00 for them and they were hard to get and nothing like as nice as these.”

Those are sweet!!

Date Posted: July-13-2018 at 12:34pm
Nice , just had  my SSP 250 with the Vernon Austin furniture on it out last night , man he does some great work , mine are in what he calls camo laminate , fit and finish are spooky good .

-------------
Realshooter

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk