Forum Description: To help users communicate about Daisy Aiguns
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7979
Printed Date: December-16-2018 at 12:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lucky McDaniel
Posted By: freightshaker9
Subject: Lucky McDaniel
Date Posted: October-08-2018 at 5:05pm
Help please!  Clearing out an old family storage area and came across some old bb guns. Most I remember using and can easily identify. Then... 2 I dont really remember seeing before. They are Daisy Model 99's but say Lucky McDaniel Instinct Shooting Trainer on the side. Odd that I can find some online but not like these. They have the scroll and stars on the cocking lever, no sights and are gravity fed. From what I have found online they are supposed to be 50 shot forced. So, my question is      What are these?

-------------
Scott

Replies:
Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: October-08-2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by freightshaker9 freightshaker9 wrote:

Help please!  Clearing out an old family storage area and came across some old bb guns. Most I remember using and can easily identify. Then... 2 I dont really remember seeing before. They are Daisy Model 99's but say Lucky McDaniel Instinct Shooting Trainer on the side. Odd that I can find some online but not like these. They have the scroll and stars on the cocking lever, no sights and are gravity fed. From what I have found online they are supposed to be 50 shot forced. So, my question is      What are these?
Most likely what you have is a first year model 99 that was used for the Quick Skill gun. Straight 3-star lever and a M/C style stock and long wood forearm.
Later 99s had the model 25 type shot tube, some used curved levers and stocks to match.

Posted By: freightshaker9
Date Posted: October-08-2018 at 7:45pm
Thank you!

-------------
Scott

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: October-09-2018 at 7:18pm
Hmmmmm. I think what you may have are much more hard to find than the Quick Skill gun. I have had a couple and they were both boxed. Both had a typical D 25 spring fed shot tube. neither were marked Lucky McDaniel. The Lucky McDaniel guns gave birth to the Quick Skill guns but were several years earlier. I had always thought them early instinct shooter 99's were spring fed as well. Are you certain they are marked as D 99's? Daisy also made a model 299 that was gravity fed in the same era. They sold many of these 299's to the the US army for their "quick kill" training program. I think you may have two of these 299 guns in transition from the typical Lucky McDaniel's 99's to the typical army 299's. I'd be very careful with them. They may prove to be quite rare. Nice find!

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: October-09-2018 at 8:39pm

I should not have used the term “Quick Skill”, it was meant generically for any instinct type gun w/o sights, of which there are several.

This model 99 Lucky McD sold for $250 12 years ago on auction. What I am seeing is the shot tube of a first year model 99- BUT it has a metal lever that has the white plastic insert and has phillips head screws that enter the receiver from the right side. These features were not used until the '70s, the first (oldest) example in my data base of a wide frame gun with phillips screws in from the right side is a 1974 model 98 with Lot no. C415646. I'm not implying this gun (or the OPs if it has similar features) isn't original, I believe they were made this way from the get-go, just at a later date than what had been previously thought. I hope the OP can say whether his guns are similar, or if not, how do they differ.

Posted By: willielumplump
Date Posted: October-12-2018 at 5:29pm
You have a very rare specimen!!  Go slow on this one.

-------------
semper fi

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk