Forum Description: To help users communicate about other Daisy products
URL: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 7:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A Christmas Story
Posted By: Airitis
Subject: A Christmas Story
Date Posted: December-02-2018 at 9:40am
December is here! How many of us own a copy of "A Christmas Story" ? I think it would be cool if we could organize a day and time to simultaneously view that iconic film in the comfort of own homes, accompanied by a favorite Red Ryder, and make appropriate comments on the forum during the show. It would be as if we all came together......separately.

I might even surround myself with ALL of them just so none of them would feel left out. (Don't want to hurt their feelings) I'm thinking sometime in the week prior to Christmas. Any thoughts?

I did state a while back that I'm in this for the fun of it. Let the fun begin!!

-------------
Air-It-Is

Replies:
Posted By: daisyaddiction
Date Posted: December-03-2018 at 4:10pm
I'm in !

Date Posted: December-04-2018 at 1:55pm
Terriffic! Any ideas of a good time/date?

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-17-2018 at 9:26am
I've only received one lonely reply about this idea. I'm thinking about doing it sometime in the evening of the 23rd. I live in PA so any time would be Eastern Time Zone. I plan on having some family members with me for my annual viewing! Plenty of RR's will attend with us.   

-------------
Air-It-Is

Posted By: cobalt327
Date Posted: December-17-2018 at 5:43pm
I'll do my best to tune in on whatever day and time is picked. I don't own a copy so I'll have to make do with cable and hope there's a channel showing it then. Who knows- it's a long shot but it might work out for me!

Posted By: the fuse
Date Posted: December-17-2018 at 6:34pm
Amazon video has it for 3.99 to rent and 8.99 to buy a permanent privilege to watch it. Karen and I watch it every year. We also binge watch all the incarnations of A Christmas Carol......there are quite a few. We take in Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, Polar Express, all them fun old cartoons/claymations, and any other soppy Christmas shows you may think of.....yes Andy Williams Christmas specials are in there. We hang out in jammys for a couple days trimmin' the tree, wrapping presents, and just hangin' out with the TV on. Not very exciting but I've come to find excitement is not all it was cracked up to be when I was younger.

The 23rd sounds good to me. If we start at 9:00, the folk on the left coast would be able to watch while they eat/fix dinner.

-------------
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.

Date Posted: December-17-2018 at 6:45pm
I'll be available sometime after 5pm Eastern. I won't be able to be in my jammies but will be comfy cozy all the same. Happiness is a warm Daisy. Lol.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-17-2018 at 6:47pm
9:00 might work. I'll check with the family.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-18-2018 at 5:32pm
10:00PM would work better. I could schedule things for the whole family at that time and still be in bed at about midnight. Would that work?

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-18-2018 at 8:07pm
Good by me. I'm in at 10:00 pm eastern!

-------------

Posted By: oneandgone
Date Posted: December-20-2018 at 11:02pm
Love this. I typically have it on all day on Christmas while family is over. This year we're celebrating on the 22nd though. My son's birthday is the 23rd so we have events that day for it.

Date Posted: December-22-2018 at 9:36am
I think it might be great to use the Chat feature on this forum site. I've never seen anyone in there but it could be faster to follow comments. Any thoughts?

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:57am
Okay boys and girls, tonight's the night! 10pm eastern, 7pm pacific and all yinz folks in the middle know what that translates to in your time zones.

Get the popcorn and your Red Ryder's ready. Let's cheer Ralphie on as he lobbies for that icon of all Christmas gifts. (Bunny pj's optional)

We'll meet here then, and don't be sticking your tongues on no flag poles!!   

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-23-2018 at 10:08pm
Higbees. Yeah

-------------
Air-It-Is

Posted By: Bavaria55n
Date Posted: December-24-2018 at 12:10pm
It is usually on all day at our house too.
Still fun to watch.
Gary

Date Posted: December-24-2018 at 5:36pm
I went looking for photos or stills of the movie 'Red Ryder' and found a museum of sorts that claim to have one of the original movie guns. I immediately saw it was a 1940-'41 copper band RR w/the sundial and compass installed in the stock. But when I copied a shot from the movie clip, I see what looks like a different lever pivot screw position on the movie gun which looks to be the newer high pivot style. The copper band gun has the older, lower pivot. Then the rear sights seem to be different- the gun from the movie clip has a narrow notch, the copper band guns have a wide "double" notch.  I don't have a shot of the right side of the movie gun but I'm betting there's no evidence of the attachment for the saddle ring like there is on the 111-40 RR. They supposedly paid $10K for the copper band gun, would be a shame if it wasn't legit.

Museum where the gun is: http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/red-ryder-bb-gun-movie-prop/" rel="nofollow - http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/red-ryder-bb-gun-movie-prop/

Narrow notch rear sight on movie gun, same as on a 1972-'79 No. 1938 RR Carbine

111-40 Red Ryder copper band rear sight

Movie gun lever pivot (hard to see, forum limits size but if it's magnified enough it's clearer

Another shot of movie gun pivot

Lever pivot comparison- not the museum or movie guns

Saddle ring attachment rivet not seen on the No. 1938 Red Ryder- it is only seen on the 111-40 Red Ryder

Date Posted: December-24-2018 at 6:14pm
I'm quite sure the RR used for the movie was a 1938. It looked like the original 111 model 40 but with some slight and some major differences. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: December-24-2018 at 8:14pm
That would now be my best guess, too, especially after seeing the lever screw location clearly when Ralphie was laying in the snow after being hit by the ricochet. Yesterday I was talking with airitis about him making a copy of the movie gun and I had raised the possibility of using the No. 1938 RR Carbine as the starting point because it seemed to be very close to the movie gun, but we weren't sure if it was a painted gun or blued or of what lever the movie gun used.

So it would seem the museum I linked to above paid $10K for a gun that's worth less than the ~ $200- $300 a good condition 1940-'41 copper band Red Ryder is worth because the original stock has been butchered. For a place that's supposed to be an authority on the subject that's a heck of a big screw up IMO.

Date Posted: December-25-2018 at 9:55am
I also took a look at the movie gun, (I'm gonna do some more scrutinizing of the movie footage) and found that the saddle ring staple set in holes that are punched horizontally. Newer guns are vertical, meaning one above the other.

Ralphie's stock has the RR logo on the left. I can't quite tell if the forearm is wood or plastic but as I said, further examination is needed. I know that since the movie guns were produced specifically for the filming (more than one were produced) there is a question if each were exact copies of the others.

Because one of my family had a personal tragedy during the movie event, we cut the festivities short. I will get back to it soon.

-------------
Air-It-Is

Date Posted: December-25-2018 at 2:11pm
Sorry to hear of that Russ. Wishing you well.

-------------

Date Posted: December-25-2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

That would now be my best guess, too, especially after seeing the lever screw location clearly when Ralphie was laying in the snow after being hit by the ricochet. Yesterday I was talking with airitis about him making a copy of the movie gun and I had raised the possibility of using the No. 1938 RR Carbine as the starting point because it seemed to be very close to the movie gun, but we weren't sure if it was a painted gun or blued or of what lever the movie gun used.

So it would seem the museum I linked to above paid $10K for a gun that's worth less than the ~ $200- $300 a good condition 1940-'41 copper band Red Ryder is worth because the original stock has been butchered. For a place that's supposed to be an authority on the subject that's a heck of a big screw up IMO.

Sure looks like black paint to me......in the still you posted. # 1938s had stocks with the logo on the left or the right depending on production date. The saddle thong ring studs were horizontal on the 1938s. Here are some nice pics for comparison.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Red-Ryder-BB-Gun-Daisy-Model-1938-223151998637.html

-------------

Date Posted: December-25-2018 at 3:41pm
As far as I know, all the saddle ring holes were horizontal. They were round on the 111-40 and No. 1938 and became square on the 1939A/B model that used the plastic 'staple'. I would like to see a close up of the movie gun lever just for my own curiosity- I'm satisfied the movie gun was a No. 1938 but like the stock logo changing sides from L to R 1975-'76, the lever style changed from notched w/plastic insert to plain Daisy w/insert 1973-'74 (screws also changed from phillips to slotted). 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk