Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder necktie?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Ryder necktie?
    Posted: March-29-2021 at 7:25am
Saw this on ebay and was wondering if anyone could shed some light? 

VINTAGE RED RYDER BOYS NECK TIE RARE DAISY BB GUN AIR RIFLE CHILDRENS ACCESSORY

schutzen-jager View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schutzen-jager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 7:54am
not much help , but i had one + wore it in grammar school in the early 50's - 
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 11:32pm
Hey Mark, wish I had time to run this down for you, but here is a start. This tag is from a 1952 Red Ryder western glove set. I think these items were made for Daisy by a company called "Playmates". The tie in question was probably part of an apparel set (?). Just casually looking around the 'net' it would seem Red Ryder had some stiff competition from Davy Crocket and Roy Rogers in the 1950s.

Pacoinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacoinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 1:51pm
Did Daisy have EXCLUSIVE rights to the Red Ryder name for marketing? I have a copy of the 130 page 1955 Daisy Gun Book. If Daisy was marketing clothing, I would think it would be in there. 
Stupidity doesn’t pay well, but it sure seems popular.
Canuck1958 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 2:34pm
I believe Steven Slesinger was the rights holder and licensed out to Daisy for their gun line but I'm guessing he sold rights to clothing, accessories, etc. to other compamies, some possibly tied to the Daisy line.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 3:46pm
I noticed that on none of the Red Ryder graphics in this thread, did Red have a Daisy Rifle. Suggests that Daisy did not have an exclusive.
Air-It-Is
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 5:29pm
Wonder about the address on back of tie, Says Ill. Wonder what company had that address
Stevec
keenkutterrick View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenkutterrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 5:46pm
Red Ryder premiums are hard to come by. In decades of collecting Red Ryder items, I’ve seen one original Red Ryder pocket knife, and I own it. Red Ryder guns are common, but not the premium items, like watches, holster sets. I’ve actually have never seen or heard of a Red Ryder cap gun. I have several Red Ryder holsters sets, but not a cap gun.
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 12:09am
Red Ryder was owned and created by Stephen Slesinger. That tie has nothing to do with Daisy. The Ebay title is a great marketing ploy by the seller to get interest.  I would do the same.  Stephen Slesinger was a powerful Licensing Giant..  He invented and pioneered the licensing process for a ton of media formats and was the creator of the Red Ryder... not Harman.  In the late 1930s, Slesinger began developing original characters, which he then hired artists to bring to life. Most prominent among these was  Red Ryder. He hired Fred Harman to produce the art.  He owned  Alley Oop, Dagwood and Blondie, Zane Gray, King of the Royal Mounties, Washtubs, Winnie the Pooh.... etc.. .   I had the pleasure of conversing with his Daughter (can not remember her name) as a good customer of mine many years ago. She was a very nice lady, and bought a ton of my Red Ryder Daisy reproductions.
She said the biggest money maker for him was Winnie the Pooh, which he licensed to Walt Disney.  When I asked her why she was buying all this stuff she said that the family was thinking of putting together a museum of sorts to showcase all the licensed material he was personally involved in.  Do not know if that ever happened.
My guess on the tie is... it is just another licensing deal he did with a clothing company. Daisy was just another licensing deal for a BB Gun to him.  Not exclusive.  Not everything you see with Red Ryder is Daisy related.  Slesinger was a money machine... licensing his stuff to who would ever produce something to be sold for a profit.  But he was a generous Philanthropist.
I do meet interesting and nice people selling my stuff... I am greatful..
Rick
Aim Straight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic